PDA

View Full Version : Speed Factor and Casting Times

Myrik_Justiciar
June 21st, 2016, 19:46
I'm thinking of buying this software to run a PF game and was curious is it possible to add in a Speed Factor and Casting Time for initiative system similar to 2E AD&D. I basically want to take out the roll and just have SF/CT/Actions/Size/Dex determine order of actions... I just can't find anywhere on here that says if this is possible or not.

Thanks in advance for your help.

darrenan
June 21st, 2016, 19:50
It is not built into the ruleset currently. If speed factor can be represented as a number (whole or fractional, either will work) and used as a replacement for initiative, then this will work in the current ruleset, but these numbers will need to be entered manually. I'm not familiar with these rules so you will need to evaluate it yourself to make sure the current ruleset is suitable. Remember that you can always run a second instance of FG on the same machine to simulate what the players will see, if that helps out testing this scenario.

If that doesn't work, then an extension to support it will likely need to be written.

Good luck!

Myrik_Justiciar
June 21st, 2016, 20:09
It is not built into the ruleset currently. If speed factor can be represented as a number (whole or fractional, either will work) and used as a replacement for initiative, then this will work in the current ruleset, but these numbers will need to be entered manually. I'm not familiar with these rules so you will need to evaluate it yourself to make sure the current ruleset is suitable. Remember that you can always run a second instance of FG on the same machine to simulate what the players will see, if that helps out testing this scenario.

If that doesn't work, then an extension to support it will likely need to be written.

Good luck!

Cool. Basically I just want to take out the roll... Its pretty simple, the players should know what their initiative score is based on either their weapon type, spell use, or whatever action they perform outside of that, modified by size and dex. Its simple, just without having the game yet I didn't know if you could get around the program wanting a dice roll. If adding in the score is possible that could work I think.

What is an "extension"? And can it do it automatically for me? Say if I import SF/CT, etc.?

darrenan
June 21st, 2016, 22:06
An extension changes the behavior of a ruleset by applying selective UI and code changes that overwrite the corresponding sections of the ruleset. There is nothing automatic about it, and requires knowledge of XML, LUA, how the ruleset works, etc. It is not a trivial endeavor, although the extent of the work totally depends on how much of the ruleset needs to be changed to accommodate the behavior you want.

damned
June 21st, 2016, 23:19
What is the monster INIT set at and how is that calculated in this scenario?

dulux-oz
June 22nd, 2016, 02:47
What is an "extension"?

This (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Development_Overview) Article from the FG Wiki will answer that (and related) question.

Myrik_Justiciar
June 29th, 2016, 04:46
What is the monster INIT set at and how is that calculated in this scenario?

Size based. Smaller creatures go faster... I have a simple chart with base initiative for T,S,M,L,etc.