PDA

View Full Version : Newb Questions >.<

DM|Mag
June 20th, 2016, 22:17
Hey, I ran my first session last Saturday and it went off pretty well. Which I am supremely glad for. However, there's some basics that I need to solve this week and I am going through the manual pdf for FG and doing what it tells me. Yet, some things just aren't functioning. Maybe I am doing something wrong, or my expectations are off, not sure which. So I come here.

Firstly: Targeting issues. I can CTRL click and draw lines to tokens on my map, that shows and is easy. However it does nothing to affect things. IE, it doesn't target them and apply to combat tracker, meaning any effects I attempt to utilize need to be manually typed in. Is this how it is supposed to be? Continuing, the player version I am running to connect to my own server, the Combat Tracker is far more limited, which if that's how it is, that's how it is. Combining this with the above, if both of these are working as intended, how do my players target things and apply them to tokens other than their own? :confused:

Do I, as the DM need to manually target each and every single thing in game for every single instance going on? If so: Is there another way outside of the Combat Tracker, clicking the Target option, and hand picking through my list of units added to it, or is this the only method in this software?

Secondly: NPC entry stuff.

1: I was frustrated on Saturday that all of my units I added to my combat tracker had less HP than intended, and solved my issue by figuring out if I put a HP # into the HP field, it will be overwritten by the HD field just wiping what is in the HP and filling it in with the max base result without applying things like Con Mod. So learned something: Don't fill in HD field ever again. Are there other things I may stumble into like this that veterans know of that I should know about where one field overwrites another?
2: Saves will roll by clicking on the NPC entry sheet, which is awesome. I can click on my Zombie, get the popup sheet and click for Reflex saves when they are fire-balled for instance. However, the Attack fields don't function like this. I have macro's for this on the F1-12 setup, so if this is intended, I worked it out to allow easy click and roll within the system. Just curious if that is how its intended being new.
3: Ties back to the above Token things. Fast and easy ways to target as a DM other than manually clicking on the token in the combat tracker, hitting the Target button, and scrolling through my combat tracker to find my PC's?

These two things are creating a big bottleneck and looking to problem shoot an expedient way of managing these as I get more familiar with the software. My players want to handle their own stuff and that's ideal. DM's being forced to handle all of this creates round to round things where the players sit there waiting for me to catch up and do these things. I am hoping my inexperience has made me just overlook some basic things here veterans know about. They tie into:

Active effect management: Managing the variety of things that come up in playing with things like Flanking, Buffs, De-Buffs, etc. I have an NPC mage and dragged spells from the d20PFSRDcompletepaizospells module,which rocks, onto his action tab. However, I am going to need to workup effects which can be applied on not only my units, but things for my players as well. For example, Haste. Is there a syntax and outline I should be using for the various stats within my rule set when applying these affects? Some guide that someone has put together I could be linked to if available? If not, do I just play around blindly until things work out? Things like a +1 to Attack, +2 to Damage, +30 Move speed which my players can switch on/off and will apply to their character sheets, then be switched off? I added a line to Haste which I have it applying to the "effects" section of the Combat tracker of my units, however I am pretty sure it's just a line of text to show my players what they get and not an actual in play bump to their sheets.

TS/Syrinscape: I managed to get setup in Teamspeak, thanks for the server by the way! I followed directions with the integration, and I can get Syrinscape to play through Teamspeak. My issue is: My secondary client for it picks up everything in my apartment. When I mute it to prevent this, it mutes all sound. Ideally, this shouldn't be utilizing my Mic at all, it should be using V-Cable and going straight from Syrinscape and feeding into TS, if I am understanding this right. Being new to Syrinscape and V-Cable though, not sure. Is there someone around who has knowledge of this who'd be able to help a guy out?

I'm sure I'll be running into other things, but baby steps I guess. These issues are my To-Do list by Wednesday, if there's anyone out there who could point me in the direction to find answers, or help me out. Just looking to streamline my combat turns, making things more efficient so my players don't wait, allow them an easier time using spells and buffs, and get them some sound effects for next session. If I can get this stuff down, I'll be moving onto new things. Thanks for all taking the time to read!

Nylanfs
June 20th, 2016, 22:26
Drag from the encounter, to the tracker, to the map.

That will fix quite a few of the issues you are seeing with targeting and such.

LordEntrails
June 20th, 2016, 22:43
Sounds like PF or 3.5? I mostly do 5E so things might be a little different... but I think they are pretty close.

First, make sure you add the PC's and NPC's to the map from the combat tracker. It helps automate a bunch of stuff.

On targeting: the arrows/pointers/lines do not select targets. You can select & target them from the map (assuming you added to the map from the CT) using CTRL-left click when the targeting character is active. You can change the active character on the map with a left click. You can also target via the CT option or by CTRL-left clicking on the portrait.

Players should have the same ability to target anything on the map (enemy or ally) in the same way. They won't have all the same things on the CT as the DM, but when it comes to targeting and applying effects they should be good.

Effects; check the wiki and the stickies on sub-forum for your system of choice. I know 5E has a bunch of help on this. Also, their is a Effects Removal Extension you can load that will allow your players to create "remove" effects that remove effects from their characters (so you don't have to).

I know that doesn't answer all your questions (and none regarding sound), but see if that helps with most of the others and then let us know what questions/issues you still have.

DM|Mag
June 20th, 2016, 22:50
Pathfinder, yes.

I just redid these encounters in the Encounter drag to CT, drag tokens in CT to map method. I can't recall how I did so Saturday in the flurry of activity going on, but I am in the same boat. I select Harry (My (N)PC Mage) via Left Click, then CTRL+Left Click to target say, my Archer unit. I get a 70' marker line. This does not add the archer as a target in the combat tracker.

If I click at the top right of the map and do "Target Enemy units" it draws lines to everything on my map that is an "NPC" from my PC mage. However, nothing is added under Harry's targets in the CT. Still int eh same situation.

Effects: I'll dig around some yeah, just curious if I am missing something minor/major or if there's some specific place I need to go to outside of just using the search function.

Thanks though for responding so quickly.

Zacchaeus
June 20th, 2016, 22:55
As Nylanfs says drag NPCs from the NPC tab or place in the CT via an encounter (small button at the bottom right of the encounter window) and then drag from thete to the map. Also Drag the PCs from the portraits or from the PC window onto the CT and then onto the map. Targeting should now work using CTRL click. Saving throws will also work properly. Attack and damage fields will also work properly. Note that if the NPC is having a spell cast at them then the saving throw is forced on them by the PC; don't roll the save from the NPC sheet.

There is an option that you can set to determine the NPC HP. (It's in House rules CT: NPC hit points). You can set this to MAX or random or standard. Standard is the average hp that the NPC will have given it's HD; MAX is the maximum and random will roll the dice so each NPC will have a different hp. If you want more that the standard hp then increase the HD in the NPC. So if you want a Goblin with 10d6 then change the NPC's hd to reflect this and when it goes onto the CT it will give you the hp you want.
I haven't used Pathfinder much so I can't really advise on the effects thing. Not everything will have an effect so you may well have to devise some yourself. Not everything can be automated either so some things might have to be done manually.
Likewise I only tried the Syrinscape thing once and I did get it to work. Sounds like you didn't set it up properly but that's just a guess.

Zacchaeus
June 20th, 2016, 22:59
Pathfinder, yes.

I select Harry (My (N)PC Mage) via Left Click, then CTRL+Left Click to target say, my Archer unit. I get a 70' marker line. This does not add the archer as a target in the combat tracker.

Harry needs to be the active NPC on the CT; you don't select him on the map. You can also target (as DM) by CTRL clicking on the little icon on the left of the CT entry for whoever you want to target.

And I should say also that the Player view of the CT has much less information on it. But check out the options; you can show them more or less info.

DM|Mag
June 20th, 2016, 23:11
Issue was the order I dropped tokens to my map and CT then I believe. That's helpful to know. So everything has to go into the CT, then to the map in order for functionality. Got it.

As far as Syrinscape, I'll try it again. I've gone step by step through the instructions, and it's gotten me a variety of results. Sometimes no sound, sometimes sound, but when I have sound, I get that tab picking up my mic and no way to undo that. Which makes it a no go as far as using it if I can't stop that. Maybe 10th time will be the charm, or it could just be my sound card/windows/speakers/mic configuration doesn't allow it.

So, token/targeting solved, outside of in the NPC sheet attack rolls. That's something I just build F1-12 buttons for then as I had planned on. Now onto finding where to get syntax stuff for effects. Thanks guys. That was a simple targeting fix, just a procedural thing.

dulux-oz
June 21st, 2016, 03:32
As far as Syrinscape, I'll try it again. I've gone step by step through the instructions, and it's gotten me a variety of results. Sometimes no sound, sometimes sound, but when I have sound, I get that tab picking up my mic and no way to undo that. Which makes it a no go as far as using it if I can't stop that. Maybe 10th time will be the charm, or it could just be my sound card/windows/speakers/mic configuration doesn't allow it.

Are you using the Step-By-Step Instructions on the FG Wiki to set this up?

DM|Mag
June 21st, 2016, 03:38
Yup, I have it functional *now*, and I haven't gotten into your extension yet. I'll toy with that later on and test it out when I have other things off my proverbial plate. However, for whatever reason, following the step by step guide of two profiles in Teamspeak, V-Cable and adjusting the Sound>Default in windows prior to starting up Syrinscape has had variable results. I've gotten several variables so far, it's worked right two times out of about 13. Just odd.

gaara6666
June 21st, 2016, 20:55
DM MAG, here is the effects thing you were looking for. I build 90% of my class abilities like sneak attack or rage as spell effects. Thanks to BLACKFOOT for ALWAYS helping me out with little FG tweaks and tips https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/3.5E_Effects

DM|Mag
June 21st, 2016, 21:07
Thanks bud! I went looking while I had my breakfast and found a bunch of stuff including that this morning. A new theme, some summon natures allies and monsters and bestiary stuff. Tons of stuff just buried out there in the forums and hiding over the course of the years it looks like. I'm just personally, on a time crunch after unfortunately, wasting about $400 and 2 years attempting to help out new startups. Would have saved cash and time coming here instead years ago. Womp womp. Now playing catch up with a new software and learning the in's and out's in the time between crazily prepping for campaigns and recruitment. Building vampires and attempting to get my Con Drain and extra feats from Libris Mortis to work within my PF ruleset. Things like a 2-4 stage effect, Vampire uses Slam attack, on hit Energy Drain. Energy drain does damage to target, then heals source. Source then gets a +1 to all rolls for 1 hour.

This might take me a while being new. From what I see, I need to break these up into things, so the attack is one, the energy drain is separate, then the on self heal and buff are on a third. I hit a FX button to roll the attack, FY for damage, click "Energy Drain" to apply to target, and click yet another for the Heal/Buff combo. Unless some veteran out there knows how to bundle these kinds of things into an all-in-one deal.

damned
June 21st, 2016, 23:23
Hola DM|Mag!
Reading all your posts Im worried you might get burnt out before you get started :)
Dont try and do it all, use every feature, have every conceivable option detailed etc before you start.
Start manageable, start with the basics and ease your way in so you dot get overwhelmed by it all once the players hit the game :)

DM|Mag
June 21st, 2016, 23:43
Hey! Yeah, it's something I deal with, but I am looking to start up my own home business centered around DM'ing. So this is my bread and butter, 60 hours a week deal. I live and breathe world building, player recruitment, system hacking, race/class/feat/spell design and campaign building. It's just what I do 12 hours a day. I have a list of stuff that needs to be done, and I worry about that. Put the rest off to the side on my "if I have time/energy". My current players understand my situation, and I'll just inform any new ones. Baby steps as I learn until I am familiar and a veteran with the answers. That said, I'll aggressively tackle what needs to be done for right now if possible. My guys want to be able to use things like bardic music, haste, shield other, bless, etc on their own guys and fireball the enemy. That's my goal to be tackling how to do that and test it Saturday. A simple three phase thing this week: Token targeting which you lot helped me (thanks!), status effects (WIP), and I am doing up my vampires today. Porting info over from Mote and redoing it in my classless hack is just time consuming *while* learning a new to me, but 12 year old VTT that has its secrets to work out.

Lol, "all of my posts", you should see my IRC channel and the 8 campaign concept post I started here that no one has posted in :( has folks salivating for me to open recruitment elsewhere. That's on my "Start in July" list, along with Saturday night's recruitment for a 2nd instance of Descent during the FG-Daze event. Dwarf on zombie action if anyone is interested! You'd see more of me if folks were responding here to the stuff I dropped elsewhere, and you'll see more of me once I get content prepared to be running a half dozen games weekly. Baby steps first though.

Brandon Sparks
July 6th, 2016, 02:00
Hi there. I;m totally new to FG and i need help. kind of the same issues here but my biggest issue is, why can't I see what my PC's draw or do on their map? Also they can't seem to move their own tokens. I have to do everything but I want them to be able to move their own stuff and target what they want instead of telling me and me having to do everything. I'm using 3.5E right now. Third question, why is there no other books in the store for 3.5E like the other monster manuals or the Libris Mortis?

LordEntrails
July 6th, 2016, 02:20
Hi there. I;m totally new to FG and i need help. kind of the same issues here but my biggest issue is, why can't I see what my PC's draw or do on their map? Also they can't seem to move their own tokens. I have to do everything but I want them to be able to move their own stuff and target what they want instead of telling me and me having to do everything. I'm using 3.5E right now. Third question, why is there no other books in the store for 3.5E like the other monster manuals or the Libris Mortis?

Hey Brandon, welcome to the community! Let's see what I can do to help.

You should be able to see what your players draw on a shared map. Are they using the FG draw tools to draw on a map you've shared with them? Can someone maybe send you a screen shot and can you post it here showing their map and what your's looks like?

Most of the Rulesets have options that you will need to change the setting on in order to allow your players to move tokens. You can check out the Wiki page on generic options (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Options), and from their you can go to the 3.5 Options (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/3.5E_Options).

There are no other books for 3.5 because SmiteWorks doesn't have a license to distribute them, they are only allowed to convert and distribute the 5E books. WotC doesn't allow any of their partners to distribute old versions of their content (at least that I've ever heard of). You can put them in yourself as needed, I would check the 3.5 forums with any questions you have specific to that version.

Also note, support type questions are best asked in the House of Healing (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?41-The-House-of-Healing) forum.

Brandon Sparks
July 6th, 2016, 02:48
They're map looks just like mine but when they use the draw tool or use a pointer, i can't see it. Nor does the dice tower show up on my screen. It does however, show up on their screen even though it's set to ON. They can see when I move or rotate their tokens but they can't select their token or target any of my NPC's. the wiki isn't really helping either. it doesn't have any info on player token movement. is it because im using 3.5E and not 5? Iv'e watched a ton of tutorial videos but none of them are for 3.5 and it seems to work just fine for them. Also, when they use a different username other than mine, it won't let them join my server. So when they log on it says 'Owned by Brandon'

dulux-oz
July 6th, 2016, 03:28
Hi Brandon,

Its as LE said - all those thing are controlled by Options/Settings (except maybe the GM not seeing what the players are drawing - that's one I've never heard of) - but the others are all definitely controlled by Options.

As a side-comment, have you looked at any of the great Tutorial Videos available on the Fantasy Grounds Wiki (and on YouTube). Damn's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below). I know I cover this stuff in my own Series, for example.

Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG forms the foundation of just about all the RPGs we play with Fantasy Grounds - so by learning how to use FG with the CoreRPG you'll learn about 80% of what you'll need to know to play any RPG with Fantasy Grounds. Once you've gone through the CoreRPG Videos you can then go on to Videos about your chosen RPG.

When you get familiar with the basic Fantasy Grounds product the next step is to check out some of the Extensions (Plug-Ins) for FG, such as the DOE Sound, Locations, Weather and Organisations Extensions (to name a but a few).

And keep on asking questions - we're a pretty friendly lot here, and we love answering questions.

Cheers

Zacchaeus
July 6th, 2016, 09:34
Hi Brandon and welcome to the Community.

In order for the PCs to do their own targeting and movement you need to make sure that they have been placed on the map correctlt. Drag the PC portraits from the top left of the window or from the PCs button onto the Combat Tracker and Then drag then from the Combat Tracker to the map. Once they are on the map right click anywhere on a token and select 'Lock Tokens'. The players should now be able to move their tokens by holding down CTRL and dragging them. They will see a white line with the distance on it. Once they drop the token you can then approve the move by middle mouse clicking. They can also target by holding CTRL and clicking on an enemy. This will also be why you are not seeing what the characters are drawing on the map - because there is no link between the map and their character.

The dice tower won't show up for the DM - only the players, unless you have the option set to show all DM rolls. How you use this depends on your play style but I don't let my players see my dice rolls so I have the show GM rolls off. If you have it on then you can roll secretly by dragging the dice into the tower.

The player characters that you have set up will all be 'owned' by you. To clear ownership of the characters right click on them in the selection screen and select 'Clear owner'. Now when your players join (in their own names) they will be able to select a character. You will have problems if all your players join your game with the same name as you.

damned
July 6th, 2016, 09:37
The player characters that you have set up will all be 'owned' by you. To clear ownership of the characters right click on them in the selection screen and select 'Clear owner'. Now when your players join (in their own names) they will be able to select a character. You will have problems if all your players join your game with the same name as you.

They wont be able to connect if using the same name. All clients and GMs must have unique names.

Zacchaeus
July 6th, 2016, 11:30
They wont be able to connect if using the same name. All clients and GMs must have unique names.

That's what I thought but the OP seems to be saying that they can only connect if they use his name. But I may have interpreted that incorrectly.