PDA

View Full Version : LFP: D&D 5E - Tower of the Mad Mage

Nemori
June 20th, 2016, 12:38
The door slams open so hard that the wall shakes and the hinges groan. To everyone’s astonishment, a goblin staggers in. He is badly wounded, with dried blood covering about half of his body. Only a moment before the air was full of the rattle of dice, the slap of cards, and cries of victory and defeat. Now the Gambling Golem is dead silent. The goblin lurches toward your table then collapses right in front of you. “Help me,” he croaks, looking up at you with bloodshot eyes. “I’ll make you rich!”

FG License: Full (players need at least Lite version)
Game System: D&D 5E

Day of week and time: Sunday 26th 5 PM GMT or Wednesday 29th 6 PM GMT
Duration: Single session (4-6 hours)

Text or Voice: Mostly voice with some text parts
Voice software used: TeamSpeak

Number of Players: 3-5
Character starting level and restrictions: First or second level characters, depending on the number of players. 27 point buy or provided pregens, PHB only.
Roleplay & Combat mix: I'd say 50/50, in some cases violence is the worse solution.

Calendar Link: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=2060

I am fairly new to DMing (at least in 5E) and therefore I wanted to start with a simple low-level one-shot adventure. Both new and experienced players are welcome as long as you are willing to forgive some mistakes on my part :-)

Characters are level one, or level two if we won't have enough players. I can prepare some pregens, if you want your own character, please post here an XML file ahead of time, so that I can get familiar with all the spells, abilities, etc.

I posted two times to give people more options, it could still be moved around a bit (let's say +/- one hour).

I might also be hosting an audio streaming server with ambient music and SFX ;-)

So if you are interested in playing, please post here on the forum as well as on the calendar. Here's hoping for a good game.

Carloth
June 20th, 2016, 14:09
Hi,
i would love to join your adventure.

Nemori
June 20th, 2016, 16:13
Welcome aboard then, don't forget to vote on the time.

hydrol
June 20th, 2016, 18:57
Nemori,

I would be very interested in the Sun evening game - I already have a lvl 1 halfling rogue created. I have signed up on the game calendar so let me know if you have a space.

Many thanks

Hydrol

Full FG
GMT

Carloth
June 20th, 2016, 19:23
Ooops, didnt think to hard on the date, i am away the whole of next week, if you are running something similar later on i will jump at a chance of joining :)

Kid Kazuma
June 21st, 2016, 02:15
I'm really new so I would require help setting up, other than that I would be happy to join! :D

Nemori
June 21st, 2016, 02:45
Carloth: No worries, I have some stuff planned after this module, I'll let you know.

Kid Kazuma: No problems, frankly the most important thing is to figure out how to use TeamSpeak, everything else is a breeze :-)

hydrol + Kid Kazuma: I've added you both at the calendar, welcome aboard.

OldJarhead
June 21st, 2016, 03:50
I signed up on the calendar if you are not full. I'm off work on Sunday so that would be perfect if available.

Downhelm
June 21st, 2016, 09:48
Hey Nemori

I thouroughly enjoyed questing with you and will be more than happy to join in on your one-shot.

Downhelm

Xenowolf
June 21st, 2016, 12:21
i would love to join as i am a total noob to tabletop so if you dont mind i will apply

Nemori
June 21st, 2016, 15:54
Welcome aboard guys, please don't forget to vote for the time if you haven't already.

So far it looks like Sunday is a go and since there are already two people who can only play on Wednesday, let's say then that if at least one more person will sign up for Wednesday, I can either rerun the Tower or run something else (if someone wants to play both on Sunday and Wednesday).

Rufus_Stardawg
June 22nd, 2016, 03:58
I have signed up for Wednesday. I may be available for Sunday, but I am pending on a Lost Mines group that is 2 hours before this one. I don't want to commit to two groups at once. I have played one one shot on FG and have little xp in 5E but I like the system. Most of my prior pnp xp is 1E and 2E from a couple of decades ago, though I played a whole lot of Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2. Hope you have room for me :-)

Nemori
June 22nd, 2016, 10:31
Hello, and welcome aboard. No problem with Sunday, I'd do the same.

Anyway, Wednesday is a go!

Gaebrial
June 22nd, 2016, 13:21
Hi ,i've signed up on the calendar and can play on either day. looking to play either a wizard or cleric

Nemori
June 22nd, 2016, 13:54
Hello and welcome aboard, I'll prepare some pregens for you.

It looks like we have decent number of players for both days now, I'm really looking forward to the game(s) :-)

Hobben
June 22nd, 2016, 16:14
Hello, I see many have signed up for this game on the calendar. I can do either game Sun or Wed. I play a regular Home-brew game but its my first on fantasy grounds. I have an ultimate licence. I've had it for a year just not played. I have seen 20+ tutorials and made several characters. I'm sure everyone wont make the list so please let me know if I'm accepted. Thanks. Most importantly have fun.

Nemori
June 23rd, 2016, 01:23
I've added you as well. The reason why there's so many people is that it might actually turn out to be two one-shots instead of just one, some people can play only on Sunday, some only on Wednesday and if someone wants to play both days, then I'll run different module on Wednesday. I would not accept new people if we were over the limit already.

Info for everybody, especially people new to FG or D&D:

With six people per game I won't have time to go through character creation (or even check if your characters are ok) before the game, so you can either send me your character by Saturday let's say (or somehow communicate what character do you want), or I'll make you a pregen based on what you put on the calendar. Also if you haven't played D&D 5E before, please try to look at the Basic Rules (https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/PlayerBasicRulesV03.pdf) to have some idea about the..well..basics - ability scores, skills, proficiencies, attack & damage rolls and essentials of the classes you want to play. Explaining how FG works is easy, but its good to know what you are looking for.

hydrol
June 23rd, 2016, 22:04
Nemori

I have a premade level 1 character (halfling rogue).I will post the xml shortly for you to look at.

hydrol
June 24th, 2016, 05:48
Nemori,

PFA the request XML file for my character for sunday - if you have any issues, Qs just send me a PM

Many thanks

FG Version: Full
GMT
:rv:

Gaebrial
June 24th, 2016, 14:06
Please find attached the Dwarven Cleric i wish to play.

Rufus_Stardawg
June 24th, 2016, 21:05
Attached is my character for Wednesday. I can easily repost him as a rogue 1st level if no one in Wed group wants to play a rogue. I plan to take a rogue level at some point anyway and first is fine with me.

Nemori
June 25th, 2016, 00:09
I got your characters, they look ok. If you want a specific picture, post it here either as an attachment or a link. Doesn't have to be token size.

Edit: Actually you can upload your pictures during the game, so nevermind :)

hydrol
June 26th, 2016, 12:43
Nemori,

what time do you want us up on Team Speak? I take it you are just going to create a TS channel in the D&D 5E sub channel? really looking forward to tonight!!

GMT
FG Version: Full
:rv:

Nemori
June 26th, 2016, 13:29
Before the game starts is fine :) I have your characters and a bunch of pregens so we can start right away when you guys show up.

BDaniel
June 26th, 2016, 15:15
Nemori,
I have talked with Downhelm and he will be using a fighter and myself a mage for the 29th. We will be sending the XML ASAP.
SF
BDaniel

OldJarhead
June 26th, 2016, 16:27
Looks like my tech noobness has kept me from submitting my character sheet in a timely fashion. Hopefully this will not preclude me from participating in todays adventure.

BDaniel
June 26th, 2016, 16:31
Oldjarhead,
Well OldJarhead hows about passing on that knowledge to another old jarhead. I am still trying to figure it out. I can export the xml but how do you attach it here in the forum?

Semper Fi
BDaniel

OldJarhead
June 26th, 2016, 16:36
Jump into TS and I will try to walk you through what I did.....

Morgentaler
June 26th, 2016, 16:40
Hey Nemori, if you are short one for your sunday game let me know..happy to fill in anyone who doesn't show

BDaniel
June 26th, 2016, 16:49
Nemori,
Here is my XML for the 29th.

Nemori
June 26th, 2016, 16:52
Hello everybody, I will fire up the servers in about an hour. See you all there.

Morgentaler, feel free to join, I have lots of pregens and I think I will be deciding the character level based on the number of people that show up. In the worst case it will be too easy...or I'll have to read up on death rules :P

Morgentaler
June 26th, 2016, 17:05
Experienced DM here with FG, happy to help answer any rules without lawering :)

Nemori
June 26th, 2016, 23:25
Thanks everyone for playing and I'm looking forward to Wednesday's game.

hydrol
June 26th, 2016, 23:51
Thanks nemori,

Brilliant night. Really enjoyed it. Learnt loads too! Shame I can't make Wednesday but will available of you decide to run others.

OldJarhead
June 26th, 2016, 23:51
It was fun and a great learning experience for both FG and 5e. Thanks for letting me play today.

Nemori
June 27th, 2016, 01:19
You guys were a really great group. I had plenty of fun and hopefully learned a lot too.

Here's what I'm thinking: I'll run the Temple of the Nightbringers on Wednesday, it's another first level one-shot, not as wacky as the Tower, but maybe that's for the better :) It is part of a loosely connected trilogy, so if people are interested, I can run the remaining modules in the following weeks. Btw. I changed the name of the game on the calendar.

I'm also considering running The Lost Mine of Phandelver on Sundays over the summer (since I already bought the module :D), but I'll put this up in a separate thread.

Rufus_Stardawg
June 27th, 2016, 14:35
It looks like we don't have a rogue for Wednesday, so if it isn't an issue, I have attached Onyx as a rogue start (which was actually the first one I did, believe it or not, but I had put ranger on the sign up and didn't want to scare off anyone who wanted a rogue). If you have time to look it over, then I would be happy to play this version instead. If you don't, then I am fine with the ranger start as well. For the most part it won't matter after he makes second level assuming I can find some thieves' tools.

I would love to join a LMoP group on Sundays. Sundays and Mondays are my best days to play and I am hoping to find a regular group. I am only available this Wednesday cause vacation :D

Nemori
June 28th, 2016, 22:20
Sure, no problem, rogues are very handy and very good at getting the party into trouble :D

Btw. I just created the Lost Mine of Phandelver thread, here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?32925

Hobben
June 29th, 2016, 02:00
Is the game for Wednesday still going as planned?

Nemori
June 29th, 2016, 02:01
Yes, it is, as far as I know :)

Kieran Redhead
June 29th, 2016, 15:09
A lil late to the party.. and by that I mean you are probably all full.. but I would love to play and get my feet wet as a new player with you sometime soon... if thats ok with you of course.

BDaniel
June 29th, 2016, 15:23
Well Kieran you may be in luck.

Nemori I had something come up and may not be able to attend today. I am still trying to work the issue but the outlook to attend is not very promising. So give up my slot to someone that is a definite . If I clear up my time conflict I will log in, incase you have a no show. If a full party, I will remove myself. I do apologize for the timeliness of my notification.

Kieran Redhead
June 29th, 2016, 15:34
Thank you very much for the consideration Daniel. If it is at all possible I would love to join in but there is one slight drawback. I sadly have no headset for teamspeak at this current time and do not know if this will be an issue.

Nemori
June 29th, 2016, 16:47
Ok, thanks for the heads up. Kieran you can join instead of BDaniel if you want to. I saw you signed up on the calendar as a human rogue, I don't have a pregen for that, the closest you can get (and what is available) is halfling rogue or human paladin.

Regarding teamspeak - headset is not a requirement, but it makes life easier. You can test you microphone setup directly in the teamspeak application, make sure you can be heard well. Also as you don't have a headset, you have to use push-to-talk, otherwise you'll be creating audio feedback.

Last time we had quite a disruptive guest in the chat room, so this time I'll be putting password on both the chat and the FG server. I'll post the password on the calendar, because that should be visible only to the people who are accepted to the game. Servers should be up in approx. two hours. See you ten, folks.

Kieran Redhead
June 29th, 2016, 16:51
That's ok. And I'll be a halfling Rogue if that is ok with you? and no problem ill get team speak and check it out. thank you for the opportunity Nemori.

PS. I apologise in advance if I mess up due to being new.

Nemori
June 30th, 2016, 01:12
Again, thanks everyone for playing, I had a really good time and got a learned a lot. This module was a not as wacky as the first one, but was fun nonetheless.

Next I'd like to run Terror at Triboar, a sequel (character level and region-wise) to the Temple of Nightbringers, but I'll make a separate thread for it. See ya next time.

Rufus_Stardawg
June 30th, 2016, 01:49
It was a blast and thanks for the work :-)