PDA

View Full Version : Pcgen or better way to make characters?

Kidlion
June 18th, 2016, 23:32
The latest pcgen does not seem to work export to fantasy grounds.

What's the fastest and best way for new players to make a character?

LordEntrails
June 19th, 2016, 01:24
My players use the PHB through FG. We don't use anything else. Haven't had a need to. Maybe if we were starting with high level PCs we would want something else. But have never had the need.

jshauber
June 19th, 2016, 01:44
The latest pcgen does not seem to work export to fantasy grounds.

What's the fastest and best way for new players to make a character?

Welcome to FG!!

As LordEntrails said, the 5e rules has all the automation built in. Just drag race to the Character sheet and all details are added as well as class, etc. As you level just drag the class over to the character sheet again and it will add another level and give you any relevant upgrades to the abilities tab.

Kidlion
June 19th, 2016, 03:09
Welcome to FG!!

As LordEntrails said, the 5e rules has all the automation built in. Just drag race to the Character sheet and all details are added as well as class, etc. As you level just drag the class over to the character sheet again and it will add another level and give you any relevant upgrades to the abilities tab.

Things I read said it was not the best as if you did not know 100% how it would leave out some points but thank you

damned
June 19th, 2016, 04:05
Things I read said it was not the best as if you did not know 100% how it would leave out some points but thank you

Its an RPG... you do have to read the PHB no matter what source you use. It is probably unlikely that there will be a PCGen -> FG importer for 5e (I could be mistaken) because of the interaction and dependence on the included 5e materials. The FG way is probably quicker than the PCGen way too (or not too much slower at worst case).

Kidlion
June 19th, 2016, 04:17
Its an RPG... you do have to read the PHB no matter what source you use. It is probably unlikely that there will be a PCGen -> FG importer for 5e (I could be mistaken) because of the interaction and dependence on the included 5e materials. The FG way is probably quicker than the PCGen way too (or not too much slower at worst case).

Yea I am used to using the book and actually doing it over a real table. It's my first time as GM/using Fg and with was helping players hwo have never played a p&p game. Not trying to avoid the PHb was trying to figure out something to remove a bit of that unknown if they did it right for them with a software but. I sat and just did step by step and re read with each step with them.

It will help anyways I am trying to work out being a GM and this is just what I have to do haha. I am hoping to run games from some people here who may not have a group to play with.

Thank you everyone.

damned
June 19th, 2016, 05:12
Hi Kidlion for total new players I sometimes just create vanilla characters for them. Take away all that initial complexity and just play the game/story. Otherwise the FG builds for 5e do help with a lot of that stuff. What are you running them through? Lost Mines of Phandelver comes with pre-gens and even the Basic and SRD rules really ease the Character Builds. Limiting them to the Core Classes - Fighter, Wizard, Rogue and Cleric can also ease them in as well. Whatever you choose Im sure it will work out for you - dont sweat the little things, dont get hung up on the things that didnt go as planned.

Kidlion
June 19th, 2016, 05:15
Hi Kidlion for total new players I sometimes just create vanilla characters for them. Take away all that initial complexity and just play the game/story. Otherwise the FG builds for 5e do help with a lot of that stuff. What are you running them through? Lost Mines of Phandelver comes with pre-gens and even the Basic and SRD rules really ease the Character Builds. Limiting them to the Core Classes - Fighter, Wizard, Rogue and Cleric can also ease them in as well. Whatever you choose Im sure it will work out for you - dont sweat the little things, dont get hung up on the things that didnt go as planned.

We are doing core classes with crows rest. I want them to be able to enjoy what 5e brought back/brings to the game. Thanks for the replies I will see you all around here.

epithet
June 19th, 2016, 21:32
In my opinion, the best character generation tool is the ForgedAnvil character builder. It is an Excel spreadsheet you can get at ENWorld.

https://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1234

The Fantasy Grounds character tools are pretty good, but they're a lot better if you already know what you want. Once you pick something in the Fantasy Grounds character builder, it is an often annoying process to undo it if you change your mind. ForgedAnvil lets you go back and forth and mess around with the character as much as you want to.