PDA

View Full Version : Dice Seed

Grendil
June 18th, 2016, 05:07
I've started a game of Star Frontiers using Fantasy Grounds. The game runs great for maps and tokens, remembers everything so we can come back later and finish it off. But I'm wondering about the dice.

Is Fantasy Grounds seeded in any direction? Skewed for the players/against the GM? Or is it totally random and my guys are having problems rolling low?

Star Frontiers is fun, until it takes 10 to 15 rounds to do any damage. Did I set the client up wrong?

Thanks - G

Edit: I'm using percentile dice in the CoreRPG System.

Nickademus
June 18th, 2016, 06:45
*grabs tin foil hat and popcorn*

Valarian
June 18th, 2016, 07:42
It's completely random. Really. People have tried it vs. actual physical dice. Tried looking for the thread with all the distribution curves, but it may well have been in the old forum.

The d100 system (presumption based on use of percentile dice) is notorious for players failing rolls, especially when it matters. Until you get to about 60% to 70% in skills, you can expect to fail at a task.

Grendil
June 18th, 2016, 12:40
Thanks Valarian. That sucks, I know I roll more than the players, but I get low rolls that I have to throw out or everybody would be dead.

And then they miss, rarely hitting. Everybody is rolling on the same table. Frustrating.

Guess there's no digital solution, thanks again - G

Valarian
June 18th, 2016, 12:50
Use a different system :p

damned
June 18th, 2016, 15:21
Thanks Valarian. That sucks, I know I roll more than the players, but I get low rolls that I have to throw out or everybody would be dead.

And then they miss, rarely hitting. Everybody is rolling on the same table. Frustrating.

Guess there's no digital solution, thanks again - G

Use a different system :p

Agreed - play the game/story you want but with different mechanics. Try playing it with 5e or Savage Worlds or PbtA mechanics.

JohnD
June 18th, 2016, 15:28
One of my C&C groups notoriously rolls bad most of the time.

Andraax
June 18th, 2016, 15:47
Not skewed. Last Sunday, as GM, the party got involved in two combats. The NPCs hit *once* that night - yes, one hit on the party in two combats. On Tuesday (different group, though it has some common players), we also had two combats. Virtually every time an NPC tried to hit (I only missed two or three times), they were successful, and I even got a number of criticals on the party. I had to tone down the crits a bit or I would have killed the party. :-)

Nylanfs
June 18th, 2016, 19:25
There's an actual physics engine driving the dice as opposed to a random number generator.