PDA

View Full Version : PFC #49 Among the Dead (CORE)

d1wright
June 17th, 2016, 23:28
A Pathfinder Society Scenario designed for 1st to 7th level characters (Tiers: 1–2, 3–4, and 6–7).

Several years ago, a Taldan Zyphus cult took over a famous Oppara opera house, murdered a Pathfinder, and turned dozens of Taldor's wealthiest citizens into the walking dead. The Pathfinder Society has finally tracked down their hideout and sends you to Oppara for one purpose: revenge. Can you face the servants of Golarion's god of accidents unharmed or will you find yourself among Zyphus's cursed souls?

Among the Dead is a follow-up scenario to Pathfinder Society Scenario #7: Among the Living. When played together, the scenarios create a mini story arc in Taldor's gilded capital, Oppara.

Written by Joshua J. Frost

Sign up on the Game Calendar (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2053) and post your character information to this thread to reserve your space.

NOTE: This game will be run as part of the CORE Campaign, while it is NOT a part of the group of Season 3 scenarios we've been running, it has some ties to one of them that is upcoming. As a result we are running it for fun and to give players a little bit more background but do not recommend playing it with your primary core character, unless you need to make up some XP to 'catchup' with the rest of us. We'll be moving on to upper tier games soon and there are only a few tier 1-5 games left before we move to 3-7 and higher tiers.
As part of the CORE Campaign, ONLY core characters may be played, see the Guide for the specifics.

This game will be Friday June 24th at 2pm Eastern time.

HoloGnome
June 18th, 2016, 06:54
I'll play - not sure which character. Maybe Banthis or maybe Corpus.

Blackfoot
June 18th, 2016, 07:21
I'll be bringing Gurgleplunk the Gnome Druid and his faithful companion Hoot. The darn pig still hasn't figured out that it can't fly yet.

cmdisc
June 18th, 2016, 09:38
I have Mortimer along for this; a Rogue2/Wizard1. He's somewhat of a utility build, so fine with skills and an assortment of abilities, but not a key combatant. Once I'm sure his xml is set, I'll get that posted. I think I also need to actually get around to building his Chronicle sheet as his last two are slow-tracked GM credits.

Nemori
June 18th, 2016, 10:07
The first part was fun, you can sign me up for the second one. I'll post the XML files once I'm done leveling Corneliu up.

Farnaby
June 18th, 2016, 14:49
Revenge? Ooooh, yes please.

JWMK
June 19th, 2016, 02:59
Interested in joining in if you want a barbarian barrister along.

cmdisc
June 19th, 2016, 06:26
a barbarian barrister

What level is Vul'gar now?

JWMK
June 19th, 2016, 07:21

Still 5 - He's on slow progression as not to level too fast. If he is too high for the group, I can sit out.

JWMK
June 19th, 2016, 07:22

Still 5 - He's on slow progression as not to level too fast. If he is too high for the group, I can sit out.

cmdisc
June 19th, 2016, 10:19
I was just asking because the subtier looks like it's going to be 3-4. Whatever the group wants is fine. Mortimer isn't built as a strong combatant so as long as someone has that covered, he's fine. We just have to be careful not to kill those that don't need killing.

Yes I'm looking at you, Vul'gar. :p

cmdisc
June 19th, 2016, 10:26
Farnaby, I see that Layni will be along for this. Would she, by chance, be willing to make a small donation to Mortimer's worthy charity? Abuse within certain more neutrally or evilly aligned constabularies is rampant where those entrusted with power by the gods misuse their authorities to further their own ends. Mortimer is a proponent for raising funds in the hope of putting an end to this.

Of course any correlation (or lack of) between Mortimer raising funds and a decline in the instances of abuse may (or may not) be related; considering the degree to which such (or other) funds may (or may not) be available for such purposes. Only the gods know, really.

Head spinning yet? Good. It's a sign of your benevolent generosity in action. Just make your donations here. Any amount will do. :p

HoloGnome
June 19th, 2016, 18:19
Banthis is also L5, but I am looking at Corpus Murdo to see where he is (3 or 4, but needs updating), and I may have one other lower-level core character.

Banthis + Vul'Gar is definitely not a good time for the enemy, especially if they are both OOS. :D Even if they were in sub-tier, it's probably not a good time for the enemy. But...maybe overpowered in this case, but we still need a striker. I guess there's Layni. I will look at Banthis alternatives. ;)

That being said, I would love to see Banthis + Vul'Gar in a 5-9 later season smashing and raging. :D

Blackfoot
June 19th, 2016, 20:04
Gurgleplunk and Hoot will be striking with small creature might and power... so you guys can stand behind them... I'm pretty sure Gurg has a small club he could swing if it were necessary to hurt something... but that seems unlikely.. most of these Pathfinder things are non-violent.

HoloGnome
June 19th, 2016, 23:15
I'm pretty sure Gurg has a small club he could swing...

Clearly, the gnomes must be talented armorsmiths to support such natural abilities.

cmdisc
June 20th, 2016, 20:52
Dave, here's the information for Mortimer. Notice his purchase of all 20 holy symbols on his Notes Tab (I'll add those to his inventory on Friday). Always a good idea to be prepared. ;)

HoloGnome
June 20th, 2016, 21:08
That would take Banthis 20 rounds to sunder. Drat!

Blackfoot
June 20th, 2016, 22:14
Which would matter if Mortimer were a cleric instead of a con-man.

cmdisc
June 20th, 2016, 22:31
I'll have you know Mortimer is a fine and upstanding citizen of Absalom. Just ask any authority figure he's bribed.

JWMK
June 21st, 2016, 03:35
Should I be arranging my schedule to take part on Friday?

Blackfoot
June 21st, 2016, 04:27
I would suggest not. We have 3 more tier 1-5 games that we'll be running in the next month or so... plus some other 3-7 games. Since this one seems like it's going to run 3-4.. you might want to sit this one out as you will likely not be able to play at least some of the 1-5s upcoming regardless (which will likely run as subtier 4-5).
The tentative schedule looks something like this:
SCENARIOGMDATETIER
#1-49D06-24-16(1-7)
#3-07F07-01-16(1-5)
#3-08D07-08-16(3-7)
#3-21BF or F07-15-16(1-5)
07-22-16
07-29-16
08-05-16
08-12-16
#3-19CMD08-19-16(1-5)
#3-02BF08-26-16(3-7)

JWMK
June 22nd, 2016, 04:21
No problem - If things change around, or you are short and want me to jump in with a Pregen that I could apply to a new CORE character, let me know.

cmdisc
June 22nd, 2016, 09:18
You always have the option to bring a pregen. There is room at the table for one if you think Vul'gar is too high level.

HoloGnome
June 23rd, 2016, 06:14
It looks like I have to travel on Friday, so I can't make this game - sorry.

cmdisc
June 23rd, 2016, 08:43
Is Gurgle a caster druid? We may need JWMK to bring along a more combat-oriented pregen. A paladin would make two of the same deity in the party.

Blackfoot
June 23rd, 2016, 09:27
I imagine we'll be fine either way. Gurgle is a druid... not specifically caster or combatant.. he is a gnome.. which means his battle prowess will be daunting to our foes no matter what role he fills. And of course, there's also Hoot.

cmdisc
June 23rd, 2016, 13:55
Dave, I updated Mortimer's XML on post #16 to reflect the Arcane Bond feature that I forgot about.

Nemori
June 23rd, 2016, 22:41
And here's Corneliu. I was wondering what to do with all the money and in the end I decided to swap his breastplate for mithral.

d1wright
June 24th, 2016, 16:22
Server will be up in a few hours. Host address is in the calendar.

JWMK
June 24th, 2016, 17:35
Hey guys, I don't think I can get away from the office this afternoon after all. I didn't post a YES on the calendar as I was awaiting to see about the client meeting today and I can't get around it at this point.

d1wright
June 24th, 2016, 17:46
Thanks for letting us know.

d1wright
June 24th, 2016, 17:54
Farnaby, need a chronicle and XML from you. Doesn't look like I received one recently.

d1wright
June 24th, 2016, 18:01
Server is up. Let me know if you can't get in.

scrawny keep daring goon

Farnaby
June 24th, 2016, 18:45
Chronicle (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byi37alIzB4rcHJvdENMM3hsNUhUc2lmdzNPRXo3N zJvUXdZ)

Blackfoot
June 25th, 2016, 04:39
BTW... I would say it was definitely worthwhile to run those two together, rumor has it that the 3rd one is 'less' connected to the others... but... even so.. it was cool to see them connect up and I'm looking forward to the 3rd. Seems like me might expect more traps as this thing goes along....

Thanks to d1wright for running it.

cmdisc
June 25th, 2016, 10:09
Yes, thanks for running this. I can only assume the relation Blackfoot mentions as I haven't played the one before, but the beginning of this one does give a bit of a tie-in.

Unfortunately, if the next one has traps, we're in trouble, since Fengard doesn't "do" traps....assuming he survives Echoes, that is. This is assuming no one else has a trap-monkey build handy in CORE to bring along.

Blackfoot
June 25th, 2016, 14:36
Unfortunately, if the next one has traps, we're in trouble, since Fengard doesn't "do" traps....assuming he survives Echoes, that is. This is assuming no one else has a trap-monkey build handy in CORE to bring along.That seems like it could potentially be a problem... if there's more of this 'accidental death' stuff... we might want to take some sort of precautions.

d1wright
June 30th, 2016, 03:09
Everyone should have received their chronicles by now. If you haven't, check your SPAM before you panic.

Blackfoot
June 30th, 2016, 03:21
Ahhh!! Panic!!!