PDA

View Full Version : I just want to add a School to the list of available Wizard Schools . . .

xenzirril
June 17th, 2016, 05:50
I'm new, please be kind.

One of my players wants to run a wizard variant. We play 5E. All the Text for this School is already available, but I cannot find a place to add this into the default 5e ruleset as a custom selection.

I really do not want to disrupt or otherwise violate the SRD as provided with my FG license. But it seems like there should be a very simple way to add the option to the existing content so that it may be used in my campaign in the future.

It would essentially make a 9th school of wizardry available with class advancements at the standard level milestones.

All of the avenues I've investigated to do this require cracking open the .mod files and editing XML. Is there no way to do this from within the FG Interface?

As long as I do not allow my players to do anything outside the 5e PHB, FG works brilliantly. But I'm finding it hard to customize for even the slightest thing.

What am I missing? Do I have to make my own .mod? Does this belong in campaign data somewhere? How does one customize a class beyond what 5e has published?

Pointers to existing links/old threads are perfectly fine answers. If I'm out of luck, then I guess I'm out of luck.

viresanimi
June 17th, 2016, 06:37
I don't really have an answer, other than, you probably have to make an extension yourself or just keep notes in the game. I am sure other people, whom are better at the technical stuff will provide much better answers. But don't worry. We ARE kind. So welcome! Always great to see a new face around here.

Vires Animi

xenzirril
June 17th, 2016, 06:43
Vires -

Thank you!

Also, if I've picked the wrong place for this post, my apologies. This seemed like the right place.

Valarian
June 17th, 2016, 06:43
Unfortunately adding library data does involve creating a module file by hand, and does involve some basic XML. You've got the right area.

xenzirril
June 17th, 2016, 06:46
Unfortunately adding library data does involve creating a module file by hand, and does involve some basic XML. You've got the right area.

Valarian -

Thank you. Recommedations on tutorials for creating 5e Modules? I'm not adverse to learning. And I see this is a easy import. I just need to know the tools and format.

Thanks again!

xenzirril
June 17th, 2016, 06:56
I tracked down Tutorial videos for using Par5e, which seems to do exactly what I'm looking for. Can anyone confirm that i'm on the right track?

Valarian
June 17th, 2016, 08:42
As I understand it, the Par5e tool will take PDF content and translate it to XML for use in a module. I've not got a lot of experience with 5e as I don't tend to play D&D myself.
For a module, you'd need to create a new definition.xml to give the module a name and define the ruleset it's valid for. After this, the structure of the file content would be the same as in the existing 5e module. I'm not sure if those modules are protected though, as they're official licensed products.

Zacchaeus
June 17th, 2016, 09:24
Hi, xenzirril welcome to FG and to the Community

As you have discovered it isn't a trivial matter to add content such as what you want into the FG database. You can't alter the the PHB since it is locked but you can add your own content. In your case the Par5e tool is the only way to go if you want the content in FG in a reference manual similar to the. However there's a pretty big learning curve for using par5e and if you are just starting out with FG as well I'd suggest that you tell your player to use something standard rather than varied since you are going to be giving yourself an awful lot of work. If he insists then the spell schools are not terrible important anyway and aren't really used very much to define a character so as has been suggested above you probably don't need anything extensive; just a few notes should suffice.

xenzirril
June 17th, 2016, 09:52
Hi, xenzirril welcome to FG and to the Community

As you have discovered it isn't a trivial matter to add content such as what you want into the FG database. You can't alter the the PHB since it is locked but you can add your own content. In your case the Par5e tool is the only way to go if you want the content in FG in a reference manual similar to the. However there's a pretty big learning curve for using par5e and if you are just starting out with FG as well I'd suggest that you tell your player to use something standard rather than varied since you are going to be giving yourself an awful lot of work. If he insists then the spell schools are not terrible important anyway and aren't really used very much to define a character so as has been suggested above you probably don't need anything extensive; just a few notes should suffice.

Zacchaeus -

Thanks for the confirmation. While I'm relatively new to FG, coding and customizing are old tinker traits of mine. Since posting, I've already collected Par53 and the editors and tutorials I need to do the job. Just have to put in the time now.

It looks as though I'll have to just make my own reference module with editorial additions where I need them. The upside is that I can make it *plainly* make clear what is homebrew vs SRD.

As for what I originally posted, I'm having to re-create the entire Wizard class, just with my own additions. Then, in my campaign I'll add the custom module and have the PC do all his leveling from my custom version. Problem solved.

Thanks for all the welcomes! Much appreciated!

Zacchaeus
June 17th, 2016, 10:29
You might be able to get away with just adding one archetype to the Wizard Class. If you then have your module and the PHB opened and shared with the players I believe that they will still get all the Archetype popping up because FG looks for all the archetypes for the class from all the sources. Might save you some time, not a lot, but some.

xenzirril
June 17th, 2016, 12:42
Just an update; successfully Par5ed a module with the Class 'variant' added in the way I wanted. The only thing it doesn't do 'right out of the gate' is fire up the 'Select Specialization' supplementary window for the list of Arcane Traditions when applying a 2nd Wizard level to a character sheet. It still grants the 'Arcane Tradition' feature automatically and If I open the dialog I can drag/drop individual schools or individual School Abilities. Still not as cool as I'd like; to see the name of my custom School listed along with the others when the time comes at 2nd level to choose a school . . .

The tutorial I had to go by was for adding a Cleric class, so I wonder if I just did not use the proper tags. I feel like I'm 90% there. Anyone got any experience to share?

damned
June 17th, 2016, 12:51
You wont get the extra step out of the edition of Par5e that is available.
As you say - its not a big deal not having that last bit.
Congrats on getting stuck into Par5e so very quickly.