PDA

View Full Version : Dead in Thay incl. w/ Scourge of Sword Coast? Is Murder in Baldur's Gate available?

callahan09
June 16th, 2016, 16:05
So the "Dreams of the Red Wizards" storyline had two adventures that I can find on the DND website, part 1 Scourge of the Sword Coast, and part 2 Dead in Thay. On the Wizards website entry for Dead in Thay, it says that it's available on Fantasy Grounds, with a link that goes to Scourge of the Sword Coast. So is the Scourge of the Sword Coast module actually both parts in 1?

And then that leads me to a question about Murder in Baldur's Gate and Legacy of the Crystal Shard. The 'Murder' module's website on WOTC doesn't specify that it exists on Fantasy Grounds, but Legacy of the Crystal Shard does have a FG module. But 'Legacy' is actually Part 2 of a storyline that 'Murder' is Part 1 of... So is Murder part of the Legacy module in the way that I assume Dead in Thay is included in Scourge of the Sword Coast? Or is Murder just not available at all on FG? And if that's the case... why not? And I'm not familiar with the contents of these adventures, but since 'Legacy' is part 2 of the storyline, wouldn't it be missing something to play that without playing 'Murder'?

Koral
June 16th, 2016, 16:13
Good question, I was trying to find this info out as well. It would be fun to play the Scourge of the Sword Coast for my party but I don't want to buy it till I know that the second part is out.

Trenloe
June 16th, 2016, 16:19
Some info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26271-Sword-Coast-Adventurer-s-Guide/page2 I don't believe the thinking has changed.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?30432-Murder-at-Baulders-Gate

callahan09
June 16th, 2016, 16:28
Some info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26271-Sword-Coast-Adventurer-s-Guide/page2 I don't believe the thinking has changed.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?30432-Murder-at-Baulders-Gate

Hmmm, interesting. So Dead in Thay is NOT available on Fantasy Grounds?

Weird:

https://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/digital-only/dead-thay

It has a button that says "AVAILABLE ON FANTASY GROUNDS VIRTUAL TABLETOP", which when clicked links to the fantasy grounds store product for Scourge of the Sword Coast.

Koral
June 16th, 2016, 16:30
Humm thats odd. I am looking in to the post Trenloe put up now.

ddavison
June 16th, 2016, 19:14
That is a mistake on the Wizards site. They just recently added the links to the Fantasy Grounds modules, but this one is in error. I will send a note over to our contacts there so they can remove the link.

Patou
June 17th, 2016, 13:01
That is a mistake on the Wizards site. They just recently added the links to the Fantasy Grounds modules, but this one is in error. I will send a note over to our contacts there so they can remove the link.

Hi Doug,

I purchased this yesterday and I don't seem to have anything from the Dead in Thay module in my download after my Fantasy Grounds update? No NPC's, story line or maps? Everything from the Dreams is there but nothing from the second module?

Help?

damned
June 17th, 2016, 13:11
Hi Doug,

I purchased this yesterday and I don't seem to have anything from the Dead in Thay module in my download after my Fantasy Grounds update? No NPC's, story line or maps? Everything from the Dreams is there but nothing from the second module?

Help?

Dead in Thay is not included.

Patou
June 17th, 2016, 13:15
Dead in Thay is not included.

Ohhh:(

Thanks Damned

ddavison
June 17th, 2016, 15:07
Correct. Only Scourge of the Sword Coast is included. Dead in Thay is not likely to be converted to Fantasy Grounds since it was designed as a convention play with multiple tables of players and does not translate well.

Patou
June 17th, 2016, 15:42
Correct. Only Scourge of the Sword Coast is included. Dead in Thay is not likely to be converted to Fantasy Grounds since it was designed as a convention play with multiple tables of players and does not translate well.

Thanks guys for the heads up. I had read the note over a few times in the store ''This adventure is the first part of the Dreams of the Red Wizards campaign, which continues with the Dead in Thay adventure. Over the course of these two adventures, players can face off with major villains of the Forgotten Realms campaign setting.'' .... with the portion saying these two adventures I had presumed they were both in there.

The lower section is slightly more clear and I should have picked up what it meant.... ''Dreams of the Red Wizards: Scourge of the Sword Coast" (2014), by Tito Leati, Matt Sernett, and Chris Sims, was the adventure for Season 17 of D&D Encounters.''

My bad... live and learn right.

rob2e
June 29th, 2016, 07:17
If there are no plans for DoT to be converted to FG, does it still then fall under IP so that module (should someone choose to create it) cannot be openly shared?

damned
June 29th, 2016, 07:28
If there are no plans for DoT to be converted to FG, does it still then fall under IP so that module (should someone choose to create it) cannot be openly shared?

Correct. It cannot be shared.

rob2e
June 29th, 2016, 07:31
Dammit! LOL! Okay, what about this idea. Splitting the work of conversion among two or three people and then those people (who worked on it) get the complete project. Is THAT legal?

Zacchaeus
June 29th, 2016, 09:11
No, because you are still sharing.

rob2e
June 29th, 2016, 09:13
Dang.

ddavison
June 29th, 2016, 14:18
Anything that you build yourself can be used in your own games with connected players, of course, because it is only being shared while they are connected with you. Once they disconnect from your game, they won't have it. If you are ever in the situation where you are emailing or sending people files that will permanently remain on their system and those contain IP owned by someone else, then you won't be able to do so.

rob2e
June 29th, 2016, 18:57
ThanX for the clarification Doug. Looks like I'm going to have to break down and finally learn Par5e. Unless someone runs a seminar that is. :)

LordEntrails
June 29th, 2016, 21:35
ThanX for the clarification Doug. Looks like I'm going to have to break down and finally learn Par5e. Unless someone runs a seminar that is. :)
It's really not too hard. I was intimidated myself and put it off for months. But then I had to use it to make backgrounds and found it really easy. Just start by doing one entry, get it right and then do another type, etc.

Zacchaeus
June 29th, 2016, 21:47

And if you get stuck post on the par5e thread and someone will help you.

damned
June 30th, 2016, 06:04

You dont need par5e for an Adventure. You never have... Import maps, create a few extra NPCs and setup the encounters.

rob2e
June 30th, 2016, 06:12
I like to have it in the form it's meant (consistent with all the ones I've purchased). Using PAR5E is supposed to be easy (once you learn it). I want to build THAY as a trial run for myself after I complete the tutorials. It's frustrating me no end.

damned
June 30th, 2016, 06:16
Ive built complete conversions in both Par5e and in FG. 80-90% of the modules in the store are built from within FG. Par5e will never be quicker than doing it within FG. But it can certainly be done just as quickly with Par5e once you learn it. However you will have to go thru a painful learn process with Par5e and then deal with typos in the source and introduced typos in the copy/paste both screwing with you.

rob2e
June 30th, 2016, 06:24
So you know what damed? You're right! After testing this, I'm scrapping PAR5E. I just wanted to give it a GOOD shot at learning, but it's riddled with problems. One semi-colon here, one comma there, and you're screwed.

I wrote my Unkown Whom module and then just PDF cut and pasted in FG and built the links, encounters, stories, tables, etc. It was quite fun. And I see now, you're correct, it WILL be faster. Doing it directly will be 1, 2, 3. Whereas with PAR5E, it's edit, parse, check, fix, edit, parse, slice your wrist, go to the ER, recover, edit, parse, fix, etc., etc.

I'm OUT! ThanX for the perspective. I'm DELETING PAR5E from my machine. I will be happier doing it all manually build as you go. Plus it's fun. It is a shame we can't share though. IP and all that.

Cheers!

damned
June 30th, 2016, 06:27
I use both. I do use Par5e but it does take effort and patience to learn and for a Module its not worth the pain if you are only ever going to do modules. For a Reference Book for a game system it is absolutely worth it. Get back to doing the things you like doing :)

rob2e
June 30th, 2016, 06:31
Yes I see where it would be worth it for a huge book, but for a module which is story, links, tables, NPCs, and it's smaller, it's better the "manual" way.

Grimlore
March 15th, 2017, 16:42
This may be a bit off topic, but I was considering purchasing Scourge of the Sword Coast. I found out it was P1, and searching for P2 brought me to this thread. As it seems P2 will not be converted to FG, does P1 have a satisfying ending as a standalone campaign, or will i feel compelled to add onto the module myself with Dead in Thay? I'm currently working on a different long campaign module myself, so I dont want to feel pulled away from that after potentially running PC's though this.

Your thoughts on Scourge of the Sword Coast would be appreciated. What lvl will the PC's be by the end of the adventure?

Nylanfs
March 15th, 2017, 16:49
Dead in Thay is designed for a convention with multiple parties, as such I wouldn't expect a home group to ever run it.

Zacchaeus
March 15th, 2017, 22:36
The good news is that Dead in Thay has been converted for a home group and is included in the forthcoming Tales from the Yawning Portal.

yazgan
May 2nd, 2017, 13:59
Does Fantasy Grounds version of the adventure include before the Doomvault? Or is it the same of the Tales of the Yawning Portal version?

LordEntrails
May 2nd, 2017, 17:44
Does Fantasy Grounds version of the adventure include before the Doomvault? Or is it the same of the Tales of the Yawning Portal version?
Welcome to the community.

The FG products always have the exact same content as the printed/hard cover versions. This includes adventure elements and maps etc.

yazgan
May 2nd, 2017, 19:47
Yes I know that; the thing is in the DnD Next version there is a section that the adventurers enter to the Bloodgate Keep. But in the Tales of the Yawning Portal of the adventure directly starts with the Doomvault.
I'm running the Scourge of the Sword Coast module with Fantasy Grounds and I'm worrying about tying these two adventures for the same group.

LordEntrails
May 2nd, 2017, 20:24
Yes I know that; the thing is in the DnD Next version there is a section that the adventurers enter to the Bloodgate Keep. But in the Tales of the Yawning Portal of the adventure directly starts with the Doomvault.
I'm running the Scourge of the Sword Coast module with Fantasy Grounds and I'm worrying about tying these two adventures for the same group.
Can you link to the product page on the FG store that you want to know if it includes Bloodgate Keep?

I think I know the answer to your question, but I want to make sure I get it right.

yazgan
May 2nd, 2017, 21:25
As Dead in Thay only included within Tales of the Yawning Portal; I think the correct link should be that:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5ETYP