PDA

View Full Version : Map issue: Empty white map file and Script Error

DM|Mag
June 16th, 2016, 02:35
Hi there folks, I attempted to do two things today simultaneously and perhaps this is my issue. I dropped two folders with roughly 900 MB worth of image files into my campaign. Added the "Enhanced Images (3 Layers) mod" and then vanished to get some things done. Came back and attempted to play with it and got the map which I had planned to use for my campaign open. Here's where my problem came in.

Firstly, when I opened my Images and Maps section, it's just a list of all contents, thousands of images out of their respective nicely organized folders. Is there a way to make it so these are organized like that inside the client like they are in the actual folders on my hard drive? The tokens work this way, little pouches separating them. Just curious. I ended up deleting these folders entirely, thinking it caused issue #2.

#2: The map in question, which was masked, with tokens on it and such when opened was just bare white with the border and tools around it. Like a white board wiped clean. I deleted the map in the folder on my hard drive, and replaced it with a copy from my original file location. Same thing occurred, empty, white image instead of my map. I have a copy of the campaign file, so I opened that up with the extension turned off, and in this secondary campaign file, all worked fine.

#3: I copied the secondary campaign file, and turned the extension back on on this 3rd copy of the campaign, and opened the map. Stripped the tokens, mask, everything off of it. It shows as the map, but when I attempt to put a grid on it, I get this message:

Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/imagewindow.lua"]:160: setGridOffset: Grid size is zero

Now, this is it's own unique file on my hard drive, a copy of a copy, the campaign mentioned 1st in #2 was copied a week ago, and from this copy the instance opened in #3 was made. Each having it's own version of everything, maps, characters, everything. There's nothing tying the original in #2 to #3 aside from the fact, it's all copies of the original files.

Is there something I need to do, or know to fix this? Should I just disable this extension, is that the cause? Is it something else? Thanks!

Mask_of_winter
June 16th, 2016, 02:44
You can create tabs to group your images up. You can also right click on them to rename them and then drag them on to another tab.
As for your issue with the 3 layer extension, we need to know which ruleset you're using this with. The three layer map is tricky because there 3 layers you can put your tokens on. Try adding a grid on the base layer. The white image you're refering to is probably the mask layer.

While you may believe it's a good idea to load up your FG with all the assets you have, it isn't. FG's infrastructure can't currently handle a large number of tokens for instance.
The best way to handle this is to make yourself some smaller modules and export it. That way you can open up what you need. A module for cave maps, temple maps, village maps, wilderness maps, etc.

DM|Mag
June 16th, 2016, 02:47
Yeah, I failed to mention, that error occurs when attempting to lay down the grid. I'm using the PF ruleset currently. So I get that message in the console when I try to lay down any grid. O.o

How do I create tabs to group images and make my own modules? Good to know about the data limitations of the software, I've got a few gigs of resources from my maptools days, and the data storage is set up different between each software. I'll need to pick things out from my master RPG folder and add singular things as needed to campaigns then for FG.

Mask_of_winter
June 16th, 2016, 02:51
Right-click on the tab, select create tab. To name it, type in the chat window, don't hit enter, drag text onto tab.
Creating module: type /export in the chat window, hit enter, fill out fields, select assets you need to import, select create, badabing badaboom!

DM|Mag
June 16th, 2016, 03:01
Neat, thanks for the tab/module tips! Any idea why about 4/5 times I try to lay a grid I am getting that script error though? I managed to get a grid down, but it is still throwing that error about 80% of the time if I erase the grid and try it again. My first session is running Saturday and need to know if this is a sign my files are corrupt and a symptom of a larger issue meaning I need to redo everything? Is it just a roll with it, delete and lay grid until it sticks speed bump I shouldn't worry about?

Mask_of_winter
June 16th, 2016, 03:05
Even without the 3 layer map extension?
What size are the maps? files? Which format (bitmap, jpeg, png)?

DM|Mag
June 16th, 2016, 03:08
JPG, 545 kb, 2310 x 1890. For this image in particular.

I just tried without the extension, and it works fine. Perhaps my extension file is corrupt and I need to delete and re-download it?

Mask_of_winter
June 16th, 2016, 03:11
You may not have the latest version, read the fine prints or were trying to stack multiple grids on each layers.

DM|Mag
June 16th, 2016, 03:14
I'll reread, and it might be the fact I applied the extension to a campaign with a map with a grid and stuff on it already perhaps. Just the residual things when I wipe it clean in client have script issues due to the layer extension? Not a programmer but that seems a possible reason. I grabbed the one linked at the bottom of this post: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-(layers)-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-(and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG)&p=165599&viewfull=1#post165599

Trenloe
June 16th, 2016, 03:56
Square or hex grid?

If square, remove the grid and apply it again.

If hex - it's not supported in the enhanced images extension (mentioned in post #2 in that extension's thread).

Be sure to read post #1 and #2 of the Enhanced Images extension thread. There are a number of gotchas to using that extension, make sure you understand them to enable maximum usability of the extension.

DM|Mag
June 16th, 2016, 04:36
It was throwing the script error with both, but that leaves me with a tough decision. I'd like to use the hex grid, but if it's not supported. I'll need to weigh the pro's and con's of each. As for right now, I think keeping my first session simple and running vanilla may be my best bet. I can sort out whether I need those layers or not later once more familiar. Also, good to know, normally everything after the first post tends to be comments in situations like this, I'll check that list out in the 2nd post.

Thanks!

Mask_of_winter
June 16th, 2016, 14:12
Yep, start with the basics and add more features as you get more comfortable with the software. After 8 years, I still don't use everything. I don't need it to run a fun game.