PDA

View Full Version : Extreme lag and locking up

brainmurk
June 15th, 2016, 01:56
My group has been having increasing issues with FG. We play using the Pathfinder Ruleset. I am just a player in this group but I have experienced these issues as well.

FG will randomly lock up when things are being shared - not just image files, but notes, rolls being made, etc. There seems to be no specific thing that triggers these issues and it's never something that causes an issue for all players at the same time (for instance the DM will share a note and player 1 will lock up but player 2, 3 and 4 are fine, but shares an image and player 3 and 4 lock up and player 1, and 2 are fine).

There seems to be a further issue where when we use /any/ voice server, the amount of lag we receive the moment we open FG makes us all sound like robots.

Is there some known issue where FG sucks up network resources, or something we can do to fix this?

Thanks

Moon Wizard
June 15th, 2016, 02:18
FG will only transfer data on initial connection to synchronize data and graphic assets, or when data changes. This means that initial player connections will cause some network bursts.

One area where network activity can dramatically increase is when there are lots of tokens in the tokens/shared/ sub folder of the FG data folder. These are all synchronized every time a player connects, whereas tokens from modules or the tokens/host/ sub folder are shared when needed.

Also, make sure that only player specific reference modules are shared with players, and not adventure or token modules which typically contain large or many graphic assets and thus take more time/memory to synchronize.

Regards,
JPG

brainmurk
June 15th, 2016, 03:03
Thank you for the speedy reply - unfortunately, while we've been playing tonight we've been getting this error randomly (spamming sometimes to the point we have to completely stop, restart, etc)

Runtime Error: D3DXCreateTexture failed - D3DPOOL_MANAGED

Thoughts? Is this tied to resources in the token/module/other resources directories, or something else?

damned
June 15th, 2016, 03:09
This is something else.
There was an issue where this would be caused by a minimised FG instance but you cant do that anymore.

How big is your cache file on your (player) computer?
How big is the campaign folder on the GM computer?
If its all slow and laggy and voice affected when one particular player is logging in then they may have incorrect file system permissions on their data directory which means it wont save and they will redownload again every session.

Kasan
June 15th, 2016, 03:17
This is something else.
How big is your cache file on your (player) computer?
How big is the campaign folder on the GM computer?
If its all slow and laggy and voice affected when one particular player is logging in then they may have incorrect file system permissions on their data directory which means it wont save and they will redownload again every session.

Does this effect lag when loading spell casters into the combat tracker as a DM? I've noticed there is lag everytime a spell caster is loaded (even on a fresh campaign with no stored data yet) and progressively as the campaign ages the lag duration increases exponentially.

brainmurk
June 15th, 2016, 03:20
I can't answer to the size of the cache/campaign folders but I do know they're large. Kasan is one of our group's players as well. Right now our DM purging anything he can from our campaign that we're no longer using to see if we can fix this issue while we're on dinner break.

I don't know if it's a pertinent piece of information, but two of our players are connecting from the same IP/household.

damned
June 15th, 2016, 03:36
Welcome Guys

On the splash screen click the folder icon to see the data directory.
Players can go to \cache and the campaign name to see the size of the cache
GM can go to \campaigns and the campaign name to see the size of the campaign data
After the GM cleans up one player may like to Nuke Cache from the Join Game screen - they will have to download everything again after that - have them do this pre-game or on another night
When loading characters of high level with lots of spells this can happen I believe

Kasan
June 15th, 2016, 04:17
Cache is currently at 140mb.

Willot
June 15th, 2016, 04:37
Yeah, when I first started using FG I had a few lagging issues. Usually Its a large file. Remeber a 150kb picture looks the same as a 150Mb picture! FG (and other apps) shrink them down to view size. But if you go sharing 150MB images to all you players at the same time You gonna get lag...

Also I had all these Tokens in the shared token folder. EVERY time players connects or used tokens it re downloaded all those tokes LAG. They are now only in HOST meaning they wont be shared.

Just some things I do Housekeeping really I guess

damned
June 15th, 2016, 06:40
Most of my campaigns are much smaller than that but the 5e one Im in is 150mb and it works fine - but TS does suffer when players are logging in.
Have one of the players nuke their cache and connect up early and resync. See if they have less issues than the others.

Callum
June 15th, 2016, 09:35
Does this effect lag when loading spell casters into the combat tracker as a DM? I've noticed there is lag everytime a spell caster is loaded (even on a fresh campaign with no stored data yet) and progressively as the campaign ages the lag duration increases exponentially.

Yes, this has become a real pain for me in my long-running campaign with 19th-level characters. Now I have to wait for over a minute, unable to do anything, when adding a 20th-level spellcasting NPC.

Nickademus
June 15th, 2016, 11:04
Yes, this has become a real pain for me in my long-running campaign with 19th-level characters. Now I have to wait for over a minute, unable to do anything, when adding a 20th-level spellcasting NPC.

I solved this problem by making two NPCs: one with the spell groups and actions, and another with the rest of the stats. I put a link to the spellcasting NPC at the top of the notes tab and just open it outside of the combat tracker. Targeting becomes and issue and any effects that would affect spell DCs (abil score penalties) will need to be manually adjusted, but it is WELL worth having near instant loading into the combat tracker.