PDA

View Full Version : Forge Potential

Wonderbringer
June 13th, 2016, 09:55
There are a few nifty tables in the DMG to add special features to magic items. In chapter 7, Special Features, there are tables for who created it, detailing history, minor property, and quirks. These would be nice to able to apply to the forge and I've started a module of item entries that can be added into the forge, but it appears you must change the "Type" each time you want to apply it to a different type of item.

So, whether a sword or a cloak was crafted by Giants, I'd have to change the "Type" to either Weapon or Wonderous to apply that template to either item. It would be nice if there was a neutral definition that could be entered into "Type" to allow it to be applied to all types of items.

I noticed this would also be useful in making artifacts in the forge using their relevant tables. It would also allow DMs to make their own templates, that go outside the boundary of a type, tailored to their realms.

Zacchaeus
June 13th, 2016, 11:13
Here's the place (http://fg2app.idea.informer.com/) to make your suggestions.

Wonderbringer
June 13th, 2016, 12:35
Thanks, I'm well aware of the wishlist and the controversial thoughts associated with it. I simply wanted to get my two copper out into the forum, the default for everything Fantasy Grounds. I'm throwing my idea out there in this format because it should be the developer's say in weighting out what can be easily be implemented and what value it may have. Personally, I don't know how hard it would be to add a universal type that would work for all templates, but I know what potential it could have. Honestly, being able to quickly add the information from those tables, along with artifacts and curses, was one of the things I was in anticipation of when the forge was first advertised. You could then build modules of templates for properties: curses, artifacts, quirks, alternate materials, ect. I think it would make it come around full circle.

Zacchaeus
June 13th, 2016, 12:41
Some comment by ddavison at post #15 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?30496-Forging-Items-in-the-Forge/page2) here but it hasn't been implemented so perhaps they are still arguing?

epithet
June 13th, 2016, 20:45
While you're using the forge, you can pop open the Special Features tables and drag-and-drop them onto your new shiny toy.

Wonderbringer
June 14th, 2016, 02:38
Thanks, Epithet. I didn't think of dragging the table info. directly to the item. I still think that adding this to the automation of the forge would be more practical and accurate (considering you have to be careful when dropping into an items description to not interrupt text) as well as add more easier customization on a user's end.