PDA

View Full Version : New Monsters

Amalica
July 28th, 2005, 06:30
I'm not sure if I'm missing something or what? I'm just getting started at the FG thing and I need to create some encounters that are not in the Monster Manual I. How do I edit or create new monsters for instance?

Thanks for any help and feed back :roll:

cogollo
July 28th, 2005, 09:31
I think you have to add them as a new node in the file monsters.xml

You can find that file in the database directory of the ruleset you are using (I suppose it will be the d20 ruleset).

I have added them to my new ruleset and it works, but I am not sure if you can add it like that to the basic ruleset that comes with FG. I'll make a quick test when I am at home this afternoon and will let you know if it works.

richvalle
July 28th, 2005, 11:39
I don't think you have to add them into the xml file... you could just add them as personalities. In fact you can take a 'normal' critter and drop it in as a personality and then modify it giving it extra hp's, levels, equipment ect.

Hope that helps.

rv

Amalica
July 31st, 2005, 03:24
Well I've tried folowing the tips in the Tutorial by Goblin-King. I have attempted to add a monster to the monster.xml file in my own ruleset but I still can't find it in the monster "book" on the "tabletop".

Can any of the Developers help me here??

I can make up a monster as a personality, but if I need multiple of that monster it doesn't work to well. Well

Thanks ahead of time

Thore_Ironrock
July 31st, 2005, 03:31
I'm not sure if I'm missing something or what? I'm just getting started at the FG thing and I need to create some encounters that are not in the Monster Manual I. How do I edit or create new monsters for instance?

Thanks for any help and feed back :roll:

You cannot add monsters to the default d20 ruleset. The software prevents anyone from make any changes to the default ruleset. What you have to do is copy the d20 ruleset to a different name, such as my_d20, then edit the monster.xml file.

For my monster accessory release, Complete Minions, I did this, plus included a monster.xml file if you already had a custom ruleset ... in case you're interested. :D

Zane_Marlowe
August 1st, 2005, 04:38
Editing the monster.xml is not hard, so you've got three steps. First, copy the default d20 ruleset and rename it to your custom ruleset name. Second, edit the monsters.xml file with a good texteditor (not Word, and not your windows notepad, I recommend Textpad by Helios Software). Third, copy one of the existing node entries and paste it into the file so that you have two. Then, just replace the text in the copy with the appropriate stats for the new monster. The field names are unimportant as long as you remember that string controls are for text, and "intvalue" controls are for numbers. When you edit the formattedtext, the <p>[text]</p> markup just means paragraph. You can include as many paragraphs as you like as long as they are surrounded by those tags as shown.

Hope that helps.

Amalica
August 1st, 2005, 15:59
Thanks for all the replys.

I got it to work. In my case it seems I have to change the Information in the base.xml from D20 to {my folder's name} before I edit the monster.xml. Well at least thats the way I did it when it finally worked.

Thanks again.

tholaday
August 19th, 2007, 04:39
This advice doesn't seem to work for FGII. There is no monsters.xml. Instead, there is a d20monsters.mod, and that comes up as gibberish in a text editor.

Foen
August 19th, 2007, 07:31
The d20monsters.mod file is a zip file but with the extension changed. If you create a copy as myd20monsters.zip, you will be able to open it with winzip or windows explorer (depending on your version of windows).

The zip contains a number of files:
thumbnail.png - the icon displayed next to the module in your library
definition.xml - a short file describing the module
db.xml - the database, containing the monster info

Edit the definition.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root>
<name>More Monsters</name>
<author>Your Name</author>
<ruleset>d20</ruleset>
</root>

Then edit the db.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root version="2.0">
<library>
<moremonsters static="true">
<name type="string">More Monsters</name>
<categoryname type="string">d20 Essentials</categoryname>
<entries>
<aboleth>
<librarylink type="windowreference">
<class>npc</class>
<recordname>..</recordname>
</librarylink>
<name type="string">Aboleth</name>
<type type="string">Huge Aberration (Aquatic)</type>
<hd type="string">8d8+40</hd>
<speed type="string">10 ft. (2 squares), swim 60 ft.</speed>
<ac type="string">16 (-2 size, +1 Dex, +7 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 15</ac>
<babgrp type="string">+6/+22</babgrp>
<atk type="string">Tentacle +12 melee (1d6+8 plus slime)</atk>
<fullatk type="string">4 tentacles +12 melee (1d6+8 plus slime)</fullatk>
<spacereach type="string">15 ft./10 ft.</spacereach>
<specialattacks type="string">Enslave, psionics, slime</specialattacks>
<specialqualities type="string">Aquatic subtype, darkvision 60 ft., mucus cloud</specialqualities>
<skills type="string">Concentration +16, Knowledge (any one) +13, Listen +16, Spot +16, Swim +8</skills>
<feats type="string">Alertness, Combat Casting, Iron Will</feats>
<environment type="string">Underground</environment>
<organization type="string">Solitary, brood (2-4),or slaver brood (1d3+1 plus 7-12 skum)</organization>
<treasure type="string">Double standard</treasure>
<alignment type="string">Usually lawful evil</alignment>
<advancement type="string">9-16 HD (Huge); 17-24 HD (Gargantuan)</advancement>
<leveladjustment type="string"> - </leveladjustment>
<strength type="number">26</strength>
<dexterity type="number">12</dexterity>
<constitution type="number">20</constitution>
<intelligence type="number">15</intelligence>
<wisdom type="number">17</wisdom>
<charisma type="number">17</charisma>
<fortitudesave type="number">+7</fortitudesave>
<reflexsave type="number">+3</reflexsave>
<willsave type="number">+11</willsave>
<hp type="number">76</hp>
<init type="number">1</init>
<cr type="number">7</cr>
<text type="formattedtext">
<p>The aboleth is a revolting fishlike amphibian found primarily in subterranean lakes and rivers. An aboleth has a pink belly. Four pulsating blueblack orifices line the bottom of its body and secrete gray slime that smells like rancid grease. It uses its tail for propulsion in the water and drags itself along with its tentacles on land. An aboleth weighs about 6,500 pounds.</p>
<p>Aboleths speak their own language, as well as Undercommon and Aquan.</p>
<p>COMBAT</p>
<p>An aboleth attacks by flailing with its long, slimy tentacles, though it prefers to fight from a distance using its illusion powers.</p>
<p>
<b>Enslave (Su):</b> Three times per day, an aboleth can attempt to enslave any one living creature within 30 feet. The target must succeed on a DC 17 Will save or be affected as though by a <i>dominate person</i> spell (caster level 16th). An enslaved creature obeys the aboleth's telepathic commands until freed by <i>remove curse,</i> and can attempt a new Will save every 24 hours to break free. The control is also broken if the aboleth dies or travels more than 1 mile from its slave. The save DC is Charisma-based.
</p>
<p>
<b>Psionics (Sp):</b> At will - <i>hypnotic pattern</i> (DC 15), <i>illusory wall</i> (DC 17), <i>mirage arcana</i> (DC 18), <i>persistent image</i> (DC 18), <i>programmed image</i> (DC 19), <i>project image</i> (DC 20), <i>veil</i> (DC 19). Effective caster level 16th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.
</p>
<p>
<b>Slime (Ex):</b> A blow from an aboleth's tentacle can cause a terrible affliction. A creature hit by a tentacle must succeed on a DC 19 Fortitude save or begin to transform over the next 1d4+1 minutes, the skin gradually becoming a clear, slimy membrane. An afflicted creature must remain moistened with cool, fresh water or take 1d12 points of damage every 10 minutes. The slime reduces the creature's natural armor bonus by 1 (but never to less than 0). The save DC is Constitution-based.
</p>
<p>
A <i>remove disease</i> spell cast before the transformation is complete will restore an afflicted creature to normal. Afterward, however, only a <i>heal</i> or <i>mass heal</i> spell can reverse the affliction.
</p>
<p>
<b>Mucus Cloud (Ex):</b> An aboleth underwater surrounds itself with a viscous cloud of mucus roughly 1 foot thick. Any creature coming into contact with and inhaling this substance must succeed on a DC 19 Fortitude save or lose the ability to breathe air for the next 3 hours. An affected creature suffocates in 2d6 minutes if removed from the water. Renewed contact with the mucus cloud and failing another Fortitude save continues the effect for another 3 hours. The save DC is Constitution-based.
</p>
<p>
<b>Skills:</b> An aboleth has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.
</p>
</text>
</aboleth>
</entries>
</moremonsters>
</library>
</root>

Replace the Aboleth node (and other nodes) with your new monster data, then rename the file back to a .mod extension, pop it in your Modules directory (under the FG2 Application Data Folder) and you're done.

You might have difficulty using Windows Explorer to move .mod files (it crashes on Vista in some cases) in which case rename them to .zip first, move them, then rename them back again.

Hope that helps

Stuart
(Foen)

GoOrange
August 27th, 2007, 15:35
Can I rename the monsters module (to something like newmonsters.zip), edit and add entries, rename it back to newmonsters.mod and have it be accessible as a module in the standard D20 ruleset (as another list of custom mosters)?

joshuha
August 27th, 2007, 15:51
Can I rename the monsters module (to something like newmonsters.zip), edit and add entries, rename it back to newmonsters.mod and have it be accessible as a module in the standard D20 ruleset (as another list of custom mosters)?

Yes that should work fine.

Foen
August 27th, 2007, 16:36
Yep, I think that is what I was trying to say *grin*

Stuart
(Foen)

GoOrange
August 27th, 2007, 17:18
Cool, thanks.

I was hoping to make modules of various generic NPCs, monsters and such that could quickly be dragged into the combat window, and could be carried across various campaigns. Things like a few thugs, bandits, orc variations etc.

joshuha
August 27th, 2007, 17:43
Cool, thanks.

I was hoping to make modules of various generic NPCs, monsters and such that could quickly be dragged into the combat window, and could be carried across various campaigns. Things like a few thugs, bandits, orc variations etc.

Well FG 2 has built in functionality for this to make this easy. Create a blank d20 campaign, create a bunch of NPC personalites with the information you want.

Type /export, choose personalites and it will create a module you can bring into any d20 campaign. No XML editing needed.

Foen
August 27th, 2007, 17:49
I think I'm being a dullard and Joshuha is on good form.

*goes back to digging peat for a living*

tholaday
August 27th, 2007, 22:26
Wow. Good to know. I didn't know creating a '.mod' was as simple as that. Now I can make my own rules sets.