PDA

View Full Version : Secret doors/passages in published modules (Crypt of the Sun Lord)

Gwydion
June 11th, 2016, 21:37
Hey, guys. I apologize in advance if this has been answered. I saw some answers in general and in regards to homebrew campaigns but not published campaigns. I'm curious about treatment of secret doors. Specifically as I prepare to run Crypt of the Sun Lord after Crow's Rest Island, I noticed that the player map in the published campaign shows clear openings in the walls which are supposed to be secret doors connecting rooms. If I unmask a particular room just to show the interior walls in the room it will show an obvious break in the wall which should be a secret door. On the DM map it is clearly marked as a secret passage.

So, can I export the map in a mod file and then convert it to another file type so I can try and "cover" the opening in some type of mapping software like pymapper, tiled or some some other paint program and then re-import to FG? Just curious how folks deal with this in published campaigns. Perhaps I'm missing something obvious with this module as it seems odd they would show the passageway in a player map if it was supposed to be secret.

Zacchaeus
June 11th, 2016, 22:18
I'm not familiar with this adventure but I think the answer is going to be no. You can't access the resources in the module and can't export things from it. The only thing I can suggest is that you try to not unmask the area.

There's not a great deal you can do from within the module and the developer of the module will only have the resources provided by the publisher. The type and quality of those resources vary but it is possible that something can be done in Photoshop or GIMP or whatever software is available to the developer to try and rectify flaws in the provided material. perhaps the author of the module could take a look to see if something can be done and provide an update to the module?

Gwydion
June 11th, 2016, 22:32
Makes sense. Thanks for the quick reply!

rhammer2
June 11th, 2016, 23:37
Another thing to do is make a removable token. I recommend using the map layering extension for this.

Enhanced Images (3 layers) (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-%28layers%29-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-%28and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG%29)

- Robert

Gwydion
June 11th, 2016, 23:49
Great idea. I will take a look at that.

Callum
June 12th, 2016, 10:21
I'd also report it to the publisher, as this is clearly not ideal for online play. It should be a pretty quick job for them to fix the image and update the module.

Willot
June 12th, 2016, 10:33
Or conversely, when the player asks "whats that gap in the wall on the map"
you Say "Gap? What Gap I see no gap?"....
then "Well if your so sure theres a gap why not try to walk through it?" (works even better if your using cameras so the player can see you take a long slow draw on your Cigarette and grin maniacally at them in the camera)

Or take a screenshot of the map on the screen (PrtScn button). Then use paint.net or GIMP or something and paste the image into there edit it and save it to the image folder of the campaign. Then just remeber to use YOUR edited image rather than the one in the module. (You would probably have to drag over the links from the module map to the new map)

leozelig
June 12th, 2016, 14:30
You can open the file in an image editor like Paint.NET and use the clone stamp tool to "paint in" a wall. I won't go into details, it's relatively easy to figure out. You can also copy and paste a wall section from another part of the map with the select tools, same basic idea. The hard part is making it look convincing.

JohnD
June 12th, 2016, 16:12
All good workarounds being suggested. IMO when you pay for something you shouldn't have to do that so the publisher that's getting some of your purchase dollars should provide the fix.

Gwydion
June 12th, 2016, 17:43
Thanks for all the replies. I did email the publisher shortly after I started this thread. I'll let everyone know what they say, but I agree, I have some great workaround ideas now thanks to all of you.

lokiare
June 13th, 2016, 16:28
The adventure has been updated with a 'fixed' player map. If you update, make sure and close and re-open the module in the library. To do this:

Open Fantasy Grounds and your Campaign
Open the Library, then Modules on the bottom left.
Drag the book for "Crypt of the Sun Lord" closed, wait a second then drag it open.

Thank you for your patience in this issue.

Gwydion
June 13th, 2016, 17:37
Thanks so much for the quick reply! Question for you. Given I made some modifications to the map in FG in my campaign to go ahead and "cover" the secret areas with rubble, bookcases, etc. and added some effects like altars, chests, benches, skeleton laying on an altar, etc.. and added NPC's for the traps and linked to encounters for the traps, is there a way for me to preview the updated map so that I can determine if it is worth if for me to undo the work I did this weekend? I'm assuming if I update the module all my changes will of course be wiped out to the map and my npc's will probably disappear. If I do update, do I just go to my account on adventuresaweek and re-download the adventure from my account and replace the module I have with the updated one and then follow the steps you listed above?

Truly appreciate you working on this quickly.

Moon Wizard
June 13th, 2016, 17:40
You can load the module in a brand new campaign to see the current version.

Regards,
JPG

Gwydion
June 13th, 2016, 17:42
Thanks Moon Wizard. I'll try that first.

Nickademus
June 13th, 2016, 18:32
The adventure has been updated with a 'fixed' player map. If you update, make sure and close and re-open the module in the library.
This seems to refer to a purchase from the FG Store, using the FG Update button.

If I do update, do I just go to my account on adventuresaweek and re-download the adventure from my account and replace the module I have with the updated one and then follow the steps you listed above?
This is my question. If I purchased the FG module from AAW's site and not the FG Store, will the map be the new one? (I just redownloaded the module and it seems they still have the old one.)

Seya
June 13th, 2016, 19:08
Awesome and I'd love to know about if you bought it through the adventure store also.

Gwydion
June 13th, 2016, 19:12
I actually did purchase through the AAW website as well and I don't see that the file there has been updated.

Gwydion
June 13th, 2016, 20:44
Quick update. Jonathan at AAW responded very quickly to me and they are going to update the player map. So, once I receive it I will update this post just in case anyone else purchased the original from AAW and wants to know when the map is updated.

Trenloe
June 13th, 2016, 20:57
Thanks for getting in touch with AAW games Gwydion. One question regarding the 5E adventure module for FG - is there an additional map for the final encounter included? It's a different style map, essentially a battle map. This map isn't in the web based adventure or PDF, but was made specifically for the Pathfinder FG release.

Nickademus
June 13th, 2016, 21:31
One question regarding the 5E adventure module for FG - is there an additional map for the final encounter included? It's a different style map, essentially a battle map. This map isn't in the web based adventure or PDF, but was made specifically for the Pathfinder FG release.

The 5e FG module for this adventure has only two images that are maps (all others being visual aids): the GM map that has the room numbers and secret door indications and the map with 'VTT' in the name that is scaled to put a grid on, has no writing, and currently shows the secret door pathways. The ending seems to have stairs on the map but there is no other battlemap for a final encounter.

callahan09
June 13th, 2016, 21:58
I may have misread this thread... I have this download from AdventureAWeek.com, I once downloaded it as part of my 2 free downloads per month that I get as a paid subscriber. I just went in and redownloaded it, but it hasn't been updated. Is it supposed to be updated from that website as well, or only if it was bought through fantasy grounds?

Zacchaeus
June 13th, 2016, 22:11
As someone posted above it will be updated on the AAW site in due course.

Trenloe
June 13th, 2016, 22:31
Jonathan has given me permission to share the map to area A9 attached (spoilers beware).

This will be updated in the modules in due course.

Nickademus
June 13th, 2016, 22:57
Much obliged. I'll keep an eye on AAW's site for the player-friendly map.