PDA

View Full Version : LFH 1 shot games and learning fantasy grounds

hydrol
June 11th, 2016, 14:02
Hi all,

I have only just started with DnD and got the starter tabletop set yesterday - i found out about FG and currently have the demo i have a couple of questions:

1. Are there many UK players using FG? i notice a lot of the LFG timings are based on EST not GMT and didn't want to purchase FG if i could never play!
2. Is anyone willing to setup a 1 shot game g=for ne which i can join with the demo and see how the game works before i make the commitment to purchase

I am really looking forward to see how the community and game works

Many thanks

Hydrol

UK, GMT

damned
June 11th, 2016, 14:07
Welcome hydrol
There are definitely more Americans than anyone else around here. The rest of us try and make up for that by being more vocal :)
Most people that play with FG dont use the boards as they are in a long term group playing. To find a group you will need to be active and monitor the LFG forums and apply on anything that fits your availability.
I know you specified D&D but if something else comes up - you ought to give it a go - you might find that there are other systems that are just as much fun and more importantly you will meet people and this will help you find more games down the track.
There are a couple of one shots in my signature and there will be a few more added to it over the next week or so.
And if you mention the rugby I shall withdraw to another room and console myself with another beer.

hydrol
June 11th, 2016, 14:12
I watched the game this morning, won't mention the result as i hopefully want to join one of your games in the future! Think the second test will be a different story TBH.

Many thanks for the info, i will keep checking the 1 shot forums and see if i can find some willing helpers so i don't come across as a total idiot in my first game!

damned
June 11th, 2016, 14:25
Dont just check the One Shot forum - check the main LFG one too.
We all started somewhere and the people here are very friendly.
If you have never played an RPG before relax and listen to the others and chime in where appropriate. Let the GM know you are a rookie/beginner and they will help you along as will other players.
If the timing works for you my Dungeon World session in 2 weeks time is very beginner friendly.
You might have to keep biting your tongue with regards to the rugby though...

hydrol
June 11th, 2016, 14:33
Damned,

Last question i promise! do i need to purchase the full game to create a character? or if i join a game will the GM have a premade character i could play?

damned
June 11th, 2016, 15:01
Ask as many as you like :)
If I stop answering its cos Ive gone to sleep- but someone else will chime in.
That will depend on the game you are playing.
In most cases to build a proper character offline in anything other than 3.5e/PathFinder and 4e you will need a license as you will need access to the DLC.
So for most games you will work with the GM to build your character while connected to her. She may have a pre-gen, she may direct you towards a particular class of character or she may let you do whatever you like.