PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a browser based module view method

Thete
June 10th, 2016, 23:53
I like to write the content of my modules away from a pc with FG and also want a quick way to view the rendered xml files.
I can just open the xml files in a browser but id like something that makes it look a little more thematic and pretty. I could just paste some css into the files i s'pose.
Anyone done something similar with their xml files and has a suggestion?

Griogre
June 14th, 2016, 18:41
I'd use Notepad++ to look at your XML or any version of Visual Studio. Notepad++ is the lighter weight version but it will do color coding, etc to make the XML easier to read, and there is a LUA plug-in for Notepad++ which might be useful to you. For XML editing, you would want a free version of Visual Studio, but the current free version Visual Studio 2015 Community would be massive over-kill, so I would suggest you get an older Visual Studio Express version since they are much more light weight.

Nickademus
June 14th, 2016, 19:54
There is an XML plugin for Notepad++ that makes it very good for XML editing. It's what I use for all my modules and extensions. (Visual Studios just seemed too much for this; I started to use it and then switch ed to Notepad++.)

Thete
June 14th, 2016, 21:16
Yes, i use notepad++ to edit modules and love it. But I would like to take those xml files and view them in a browser like firefox in a view similar to how they render in FG.
My thinking is that i spend a lot of time formating my modules for FG and would like to make use if that effort outside of fg in the form of browse-able html files or even pdf.

Trenloe
June 15th, 2016, 05:37
The only XSL I've seen has been produced to view character sheets (using export XML from FG) in a browser or a very basic calendar entry view (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18043-Feature-Request-Export-Calendar-Entries&p=141074&viewfull=1#post141074). I'm not aware of anyone writing XSL to view module data - this would be pretty ruleset specific.