PDA

View Full Version : Ebberon Ruleset Questions HELP a Noob!

Wyverenight
July 26th, 2005, 01:53
I am new at this Fantasy Grounds set up for DnD. I like it alot and would like to make this the designated method of playing. To do so, I have to find a way to adopt the Ebberon Ruleset. I am no coder, but I know someone that could help me with coding if need be. If someone could give me some information on HOW to create codes like Ebberon Rules or if someone could give me a link to where I may find these kinds of things would be great. Plus any additional information that might help my situation would be greatly appreciated. Thank You! :lol:

Durakh
August 23rd, 2005, 07:36
Hi Wyverenight!

Currently i'm buildung reference files and lorebooks for my eberron campaign in FG. Even try to get some of the Eberron-Features on the Charactersheet.

When i've completed it, i shall post a little "Walkthrough" here.
It could take some time though... but i'm working on it :-)

Farewell
Durakh

Wyverenight
August 24th, 2005, 00:10
Durakh,

Awsome... that sounds cool to me. I know you will, but include what it has in it. I would REALLY appreciate a link to that one when you have finished it. I got some of the Psionics that I needed, but Eberron has more Psi references then the ones I have played. Plus, I cannot do these things myself, I would def. get lost or take a LONG time making a set of rules. Thanks again and I look forward to your reply!

Indivi_duel
December 29th, 2005, 16:20
Does anyone know if there already is a Eberron rules set for fanasy grounds ?

please email me @ [email protected]

Ablefish
December 31st, 2005, 01:10
I'd be interested in this too, if something is already in the works. I was looking at this today and figured the easiest thing to do would be to create an additional 'tab' on the regular character sheet with a new page to include areas for Action Points, Region of Origin, Dragon Marks... possibly more room for feats.

I'd like to add Artificer to the list of classes, though that would probably involve adjusting the referenceroot.png graphic or font size to make room.

I've been playing with this for the last hour or so, but it seems like it's very easy to end up with FG crashing on trying to load if your xml is off... :)

Stuart
January 1st, 2006, 23:56
Try out Altova's XMLSpy editor , it's way too expensive to buy for all but the dedicated but you can use it free for a month on demo. It automatically inserts end tags and checks that your xml is correctly formed. It also has some other handy features that I like : it allows you to close individual nested nodes within a large file, it is also easy to shift nested tags to check that everything nests correctly.

Adding classes is actually not too big an issue - PM me if you want some help.

Stuart

WolfStar76
January 3rd, 2006, 17:44
Hi Wyverenight!

Currently i'm buildung reference files and lorebooks for my eberron campaign in FG. Even try to get some of the Eberron-Features on the Charactersheet.

When i've completed it, i shall post a little "Walkthrough" here.
It could take some time though... but i'm working on it :-)

Farewell
Durakh

As someone who understands the *theory* of XML but has always been a bit skittish about tinkering with it in PRACTICE, I'd love to see something of this sort pop-up.

In fact, anyone who wants to write any kind of tutorials on "hacking FG XML" would win my respect. :)

The only attempt I've made so far was someone's directions on adding a d100 die roller, and it didn't work. *sigh*

WolfStar76
January 3rd, 2006, 17:47
Does anyone know if there already is a Eberron rules set for fanasy grounds ?

please email me @ [email protected]

I think one of the Code Monkeys, or perhaps the Digital Adventures team hinted at this being a possibility in the future if things keep going well for FG and if the FG community keeps with the good graces of the Wizards of the Coast.

I dunno where a new ruleset based on Eberron falls in the intellectual property debate, so it might be best to "homebrew" your own options for now, instead of sharing stuff until someone official chips in.

But then, that's just one (paranoid?) opinion. :)

Ablefish
January 3rd, 2006, 21:41
Hopefully WOTC will be supportive of FG. Speaking for my own group - we hadn't gamed in almost 2 years because it was tough to get 5 guys out consistantly. Then we found FG now we're about to start a new campaign in Eberron with a couple of guys that had moved out of town. We've already bought several copies of the campaign setting books, adventures, novels, and I know most players will end up getting the players guides as well.

And I would gladly pay extra money for FG modules based on the printed material so I don't have to scan stuff in and fight with OCR.

Thanks for the offer, Stuart, I'll check out that XMLspy editor. I'm going to take a stab at adding another tab to the character sheets. I've added Artificer and Warforged to the reference docs, but the idea of adding the new feats without some kind of way of generating formatting tags easily scares the crap out of me. Same thing with adding new critters to the Monster Manual.

One thing I'm considering is doing this kind of formatting in a forum post and then pasting that code into a word processor and replacing all the tags with a search and replace.

BnaaUK
January 4th, 2006, 12:27
You might want to watch using a word proccessor, especially MS Word, since it will often add characters that will cause crashes.

Code Monkey Publishing have released 1 WotC adventure with another in preorder (The Sunless Citadel and Forge of Fury). Digital Adventures have released several adventures and other great stuff for Fantasy Grounds (including the Complete SRD which really is very usful). And back in September CMP said they were looking into rulesets
September 16 Friday Update link (https://www.codemonkeypublishing.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=11225)

All in all, I think FantasyGrounds is better supported then most of the alternatives.

Ablefish
January 5th, 2006, 05:47
Yeah, one of the software guys at work directed me to Editplus. The color coding of tags makes it a lot easier to read the code.

Perren
August 30th, 2007, 13:58
Well this thread looks Kinda old. I was wondering what the status or the Ruleset was.