PDA

View Full Version : Home brew Classes and the Spell slots ability

Rilmarion
June 10th, 2016, 03:04
A few of my players are using home brew classes and I was wondering how does one give them that ability under the action tab that has Spell Slots. Is there a way to manually create this and edit the number of slots it has?

Hecklerus Prime
June 10th, 2016, 04:44
Which rule system are you using? I'm not familiar with any outside of D&D 3.5e/5e, so I assume it may be different in other settings. However, in 5e, make sure the mode on the Actions tab is set to "Preparation" so that the number of spell slots can be changed. Set the display to "Group" and change the name of the group to create different headings (Racial Powers, Items, Spells, etc.). Beyond that, read the "Create A New Spell" section on the 5e Character Sheet (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet) page in the wiki. You can follow these instructions to create spells, powers, abilities, or item effects.

For example, the Ball Bearings item allows a DC 10 Dex save or the target falls prone. I created a "spell", set the Group to "Items", added a cast action and set to Dex DC 10 Fixed, and then added an effect "Prone" to target. I only have one bag, so I set the usage to "1 Once".

Like I said, reading that page on the wiki will help point out how to add new things. After that, a little thought is all that is needed to determine how to use the software to get what you want. Note that your players will only be able to edit their characters when connected to your game, unless you try to juggle characters using the import/export feature. Hope that helps!

Rilmarion
June 11th, 2016, 01:42
Okay. I got that figured out. Though playing around with effects I'm having a hard time trying to set one up. Character A has trait that gives him "They also gain advantage against Charm, Frighten, and Paralysis saving throws."

I tried doing this effect on combat tracker and then cast Charm person on him but it isn't rolling an advantage save for him: ADVSAV: [stat] charm, frighten, paralysis

I also tried changing charm to charmed and no go.

Edit; Looking back at the list it seems that one is for specific saves like Wis, Str, etc. not against a specific effect. looks like that is not possible and the player is just going to have to remember that lol.

Zacchaeus
June 11th, 2016, 10:30
Okay. I got that figured out. Though playing around with effects I'm having a hard time trying to set one up. Character A has trait that gives him "They also gain advantage against Charm, Frighten, and Paralysis saving throws."

I tried doing this effect on combat tracker and then cast Charm person on him but it isn't rolling an advantage save for him: ADVSAV: [stat] charm, frighten, paralysis

I also tried changing charm to charmed and no go.

Edit; Looking back at the list it seems that one is for specific saves like Wis, Str, etc. not against a specific effect. looks like that is not possible and the player is just going to have to remember that lol.

You are correct in that you can't automate an advantage to a saving throw against a specific condition. You can create a 'Dummy' effect which just has text in it as a reminder to the player that they have such a thing.