PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Effects and AURA

nickabbey
June 9th, 2016, 19:02
I have a couple of characters that have generic auras, like a cleric with good and lawful auras.
I think this question would apply to paladin auras with effects on other characters, but I'm not there yet (no pallies in my game yet)

The 3.5 effects documentation says has a section called "Special Components" that mentions auras but it only says:

Examples: FAIL, AURA, ...
Unique format for each tag
Case-sensitive

and there are no examples.

Is there some reference or existing example somewhere that I can use to understand how to create an aura effect?

Moon Wizard
June 9th, 2016, 20:48
The AURA tag was actually only for the 4E ruleset (and incorrectly got added to the 3.5E examples). Even in the 4E ruleset, it was only added to Aura power effects, and it was purely informational.

There's no way currently to have FG automatically track whether effects are active based on distance.

Regards,
JPG

nickabbey
June 9th, 2016, 20:51
understood, thanks for the response. there's nothing stopping me from adding an effect with no actual modifiers on it, setting it to never expire and then just applying it to characters though, right? that way I get a gentle reminder from the character currently loaded effects when I need to take them in to account?

Moon Wizard
June 9th, 2016, 22:35
That's exactly what the original AURA tag was used for.

The only reason it was noted for the 4E ruleset was that powers in 4E were denoted much more visibly as aura powers, so we could automatically add those tags to effects parsed from the power description. In 3.5E, PFRPG and 5E, it's not nearly as obvious to automate this detection, since the language used for the spells is much more varied.

Regards,
JPG