PDA

View Full Version : Adding weapons and skills to npc

sasigns
June 9th, 2016, 16:44
I would like to add a Net to some npc my party will be fighting. Can anyone tell me how this is done. I try to drag and drop it into the action section of the npc from the encounter sheet once I open up the npc.

Thanks in advance sorry for being lame

Trenloe
June 9th, 2016, 16:57
Which ruleset? I'd recommend posting in the ruleset specific forum rather than the general tavern forum which is for generic FG topics.

In general most rulesets treat NPC data differently to PC data - mirroring what the base RPG system itself presents for NPC records. As such, there isn't an inventory functionality for NPCs in most rulesets. You'll need to make the adjustments as required to the NPC record.

sasigns
June 9th, 2016, 17:06
Sorry it is D&D 5e

Trenloe
June 9th, 2016, 17:09
Moved to 5E forum.

The answer remains the same. :)

Zacchaeus
June 9th, 2016, 21:40
You'll find details of how to edit NPCs here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_NPC_Sheet).

epithet
June 10th, 2016, 18:43
Drag kuo-toa to your NPCs list, then edit it and select & copy the net entry. Add an action to your new NPC, call it Net, and paste the action text. Edit your bonus to hit appropriately.

Interestingly, the Kuo-toa has a +3 bonus to hit with a net, apparently using its +1 strength bonus and a +2 proficiency bonus. The reason it is interesting is that the net should use dex, not strength, based on the rules.

spite
June 10th, 2016, 21:29
No? It's thrown, thrown weapons use strength unless they are thrown and finesse, when they can use either strength or dex.

computertrucker
June 11th, 2016, 04:36
Stop being lame!!!!!!;)

epithet
June 12th, 2016, 14:41
It is ranged, meaning it defaults to dex. The thrown property says "If the weapon is a melee weapon, you use the same ability modifier for that attack roll and damage roll that you would use for a melee attack with the weapon." The net is not a melee weapon, however, and it does not have the finesse property, so...

Personally, I agree that it is perfectly reasonable to use your strength modifier with a net. It is always interesting to me, though, when official products seem not to follow the letter of the rules.

Nylanfs
June 12th, 2016, 19:03
Have you learned nothing from watching the government and the oligarchy for the last thousand years, those who make the rules dont have to follow them. :-)

spite
June 12th, 2016, 23:56
Weapons, PHB page 14: "For attacks with ranged weapons, use your Dexterity modifier for attack and damage rolls. A weapon that has the thrown property, such as a handaxe, can use your Strength modifier instead."

This is one of those shining moments where one bit of the rulebook differs from another. Ask you DM™

Willot
June 13th, 2016, 01:54
I think it should use charisma.... Imean honestly the only reason ANYONE would use a net as a ranged weapon would be to look cool doing it! :pirate:

Keene
June 13th, 2016, 09:16
It is ranged, meaning it defaults to dex. The thrown property says "If the weapon is a melee weapon, you use the same ability modifier for that attack roll and damage roll that you would use for a melee attack with the weapon." The net is not a melee weapon, however, and it does not have the finesse property, so...

Personally, I agree that it is perfectly reasonable to use your strength modifier with a net. It is always interesting to me, though, when official products seem not to follow the letter of the rules.

cool

epithet
June 13th, 2016, 13:45
Silly me, I forgot to check the character creation section for combat rules. Nice catch, spite.