PDA

View Full Version : Sigh more issues.

computertrucker
June 9th, 2016, 05:52
Well I'm done for the night.

All I can do is hope tomorrow proves more fruitful when it comes to connecting.

Earlier this week I attempted to start up fantasy grounds for the first time in years. Since changing wireless mifi units I had all but given up on the software. With the help of some friendly people online here I managed to get my hosted game connected. Thankfully I scheduled my first game a month out. To give me time figure things out again.

Onto connection numero dos. I got in (possibly) on a game for this weekend that was advertised on the forums here. Tried logging into the persons server tonight and no dice can't connect to his server.

I was informed I should not need Mihachi log me in to play only to run. Any one else able to verify this?

Because I can get on to host. But not to play.

Any help would be great! Never really had issues connecting to software before fantasy grounds

Thanks in advance

Trenloe
June 9th, 2016, 06:29
I was informed I should not need Mihachi log me in to play only to run. Any one else able to verify this?
Correct, you only need Hamachi to get around GM port forwarding/access issues when you are the GM. You shouldn't need this as a player - unless the GM is using it to allow you to connect.

If you tried to connect without Hamachi, can you describe the steps you tried to connect?

damned
June 9th, 2016, 06:50
Some connections wont pass traffic that isnt dns/web/email (eg an office connection) but few residential services will impose these restrictions out of the box.
If the GM is on Hamachi everyone needs Hamachi.

Zacchaeus
June 9th, 2016, 10:08
The person was online when you tried to connect right?

_JackDoor_
June 9th, 2016, 15:45
Would this possibly be due to not having a Static IP? My laptop has an odd quirk where my IP goes odd every now and then.

computertrucker
June 9th, 2016, 15:48
Everyone thanks for the responses. So, to connect I opened up fantasy grounds, at first I tried to connect using his alias. When that did not work I attempted to use his external IP address. And yes, he and I were on Skype and speaking when I was trying to connect so he was online.

The GM informed me when I asked that he had indeed had other players connect already. So I assumed it had to be on my end

Trenloe
June 9th, 2016, 15:49
If you're a player joining the GMs game, you don't need to worry about port forwarding, etc.. It's just the GM that needs this.

So, the questions for computertrucker would be:

Has the GM you're trying to connect to passed the FG connection test?
Was their FG up and running waiting for a connection when you tried to connect? Thanks Zacchaeus for mentioning this as this can be a common misunderstanding for new users - the GM has to have FG up and running and hosting a campaign before you can join. A lot of GMs will only start FG up for their session and not leave it running outside of that session.
If the GM doesn't need you to use Hamachi, then don't use it - power the Hamachi app off and exit it.
Were you connecting to an alias or an IP address?

computertrucker
June 9th, 2016, 16:01
1. The GM said he has passed the connection test. He also said he had a player on the server earlier.

2. Yes, we were speaking on Skype when I was attempting to login.

3. I Believe I tried it with it both on and off

4. I tried connecting to his alias first. When that didn't work I attempted to attend utilizing his outside IP address or external IP address.

Trenloe
June 9th, 2016, 16:09
Sent you a PM.

computertrucker
June 9th, 2016, 16:50
Hey Trenloe are you still in fantasy grounds?