PDA

View Full Version : A player leaving our table game..

metapellin
July 21st, 2005, 14:49
Is there a way we can connect with him using this software as the player sheet for him.. In other words..
We want to continue playing on the tabletop.. but he wants to continue playing also but from another state.. how can we do this?

idea? We have laptop, he has dektop... can we connect and have him play? we dont need video as long as these sheet are correct..
If I am totally wrong.. correct me so I can get this player in game still..
Thanks
Tom

richvalle
July 21st, 2005, 15:51
We did something like this using Microsofts meeting software Netmeeting with each side using a webcam.

He pointed his webcam down into a cup where he rolled his dice and we had ours on the table where he could see the mini's and maps. It worked pretty well with the only problem being that it was hard for him to make out what/who was saying what when we were all talking at once.

To answer your question about using FG this way... I think it could work but its not really made for this.

Lets see... you would have to have a mic and speakers on your side. With the same on his side. The hard part is that you would either have to have all the maps in FG or both in FG and on the table. If both you would have to keep the FG map up to date with characters movments. If only on PC then you would have to move each character as they say what they want to do vs them doing it themselfs (Note: this all assumes you use Mini's and maps. If not, ignore. :) )

I guess that is the main issue. If you use maps keeping them in synch will be an issue. If not then just using FG as a remote char sheet/dice roller would be very doable.

rv

metapellin
July 21st, 2005, 16:14
Thanks for the response ..
we do use maps and mini's so I guess it would be hard.

MS netmeeting was good? I was afraid of the dice rolling and not being able to see his Player sheet for any + or - he might have.

I can explore that idea but i was looking for an easier way..
If anyone knows of different ways...please post

Sigurd
July 21st, 2005, 17:04
While its not designed for this, if your DM already uses a computer for organizing his/her campaign it should help. With everyone else going face to face the distant player will have some catching up to do but you could set him up with similar info and reveal it with Fantasy Grounds as the game proceeds.

I'd still use some sort of camera chat software too.

richvalle
July 21st, 2005, 17:09
Netmeeting was ok. We only used it one time so don't have extensive use of it.

We trust each other on the +/- even around the table and the dm has a decent idea of what +'s he should have anyway. The main question for us was what did he roll. The dm also keeps a 'sign

The guy on the other end really liked having our webcam on the battle map as it gave him a first person view of the map. If he needed a different view we just moved the webcam around a bit or picked it up and held it over the map.

rv