PDA

View Full Version : Hey Devs! Buy me a clue.

BRiM
July 20th, 2005, 14:21
I don't have a clue, and I'm hoping you guys can provide one! How about a heads up on what software you guys used to create the maps in the Demo Campaign!!! Those are great looking maps.

For everyone else, what's your favorite mapping software??? Looks like it's going to be more important than ever to be able to produce hi quality maps and great looking images to share with players.

BRiM

Ilwan
July 20th, 2005, 14:50
Campaign Cartographer 2 Pro is my favorite - no doubt, but it will need some patience to master. Visit my website to see examples. There are also some maps made with dundjinni if you wanna compare.

Dupre
July 20th, 2005, 19:04
We looked at a couple of satellite images to get the scale of things for the campaign and city maps and then just hand drew it. CC2 and Dundjinni are the best out there for map making however.

sunbeam60
July 21st, 2005, 12:44
Hand drawn, all the way baby!

Actually on a computer, but these day Wacom and a natural media drawing program constitututes hand drawing so I'll go with hand drawn.

I never, ever liked the "stock" look you get from a computer generated map, regardless of the tool's complexity. There's gotta be a hand in there to make it feel "real" to me. Of course, I do
sometimes use "just" the mouse (https://sunbeam60.net/files/diedra_public_v_2_2.jpg), but that's merely if I'm trying to do something precise that I know couldn't survive a piece of paper.

Stillfoxx
January 9th, 2006, 16:47
I'm a big fan of Campaign Cartographer. The latest revs of the software suite is pretty much the cat's meow. I've been using CC for a few years now and I can say that my hand-drawn maps are easily rendered there. What's more is the ability to use Fractal Terrains with your CC works...makes for some great maps.

I'm a brand new FG user and have yet to even begin the experience but I can say I like that I can use CC in FG...takes a load off the weary shoulders of this world designer fer sure.

Stillfoxx
January 9th, 2006, 16:47
And...as a new user, I have to ask:

How does one bring a CC2 map into the FG interface?

Stuart
January 9th, 2006, 20:21
I save the CC2 file as a jpg in my campaign/images folder (and it works on he fly as well which is handy). This can be short-cut pinned to larger close up view CC2 maps that have been dumped into Paint/Pain Shop Pro etc via a "prt scr".

All of this map-foolery can be done in the middle of running an FG game to try (futile as it is) to saty one step ahead of a sabre-rattling party !

Stuart

richvalle
January 10th, 2006, 00:50
What Stuart said.

Any pics put in the campaign/images folder are available for viewing in FG and can be done on the fly.

Unlike tokens which need a restart of FG to show up.

rv

Snikle
January 11th, 2006, 05:25
sometimes use "just" the mouse (https://sunbeam60.net/files/diedra_public_v_2_2.jpg)

Very nice! and huge!