PDA

View Full Version : Downloading of Ruleset at the start of a session

Doval
July 11th, 2005, 13:02
Yesterday two of us got online with FG to look around the 1st edition AD&D ruleset done by Elric. We had both downloaded and installed it. When he connected to me, it started downloading the ruleset from my system to his. We both have broadband connections, at least in theory, but it still took a few (nearly 4) minutes.

The questions is, does FG always download the newest version of a ruleset or does it do so only under certain conditions. If so, what are those conditions. Should one of the players have a 56kb modem connection, it could take quite a while to fully connect.

On the bright side, once we got connected everything seemed to work fine. Elric, I think we will have a few suggestions/questions about your ruleset which will be coming in the next few days.

Matt

albyn
July 11th, 2005, 18:21
That's a good question. I think it just downloads what the dm has for his ruleset that the player doesn't. So if you create a campaign for 1st edition and rename the ruleset, when your player logs on the program will think he doesn't have it and send it to him. This might also happen if the player themeselves renamed the ruleset.

I also think that it would only send files from then on that you have updated or changed as long as the file names remain the same between host and player. I can't be sure about any of this but that just seems to be the way it works from my experience connecting to a DM on FG

Spyke
July 11th, 2005, 19:45
I think that the only difference between our copies of the AD&D ruleset was that I had changed the desktop texture back to use wood1.png rather than the TSR tile that Elric had used. Both folders were called AD&D. I was the player and Matt's ruleset completely overwrote mine.

Dupre
July 11th, 2005, 22:50
It is sent only once. The comparisons are done with filenames and time stamps which is why your local copy didn't suffice at first. I've added this to our lists so that we'll do a hash based check instead.