PDA

View Full Version : Dice Systems

Belizan
July 10th, 2005, 07:49
Some dice systems left out, at the moment:

Arbitrary Dice sizes. (Even d20 uses a lot of d3s)
Open-Ended ("exploding") Dice (open ended up or down over customizable range of values).
Dice Pools.

richvalle
July 10th, 2005, 13:38
Other people have complained about the lack of 'off' dice types like d3's. This has ever really bothered me as >I< don't have any d3's while sitting at the table (I have seen dice that go 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3). I just roll a d6 and figure it out from there.

I think any result you can get from a command line you should be able to roll using the dice at the 'table' portian of FG.

I've never used the other 2 dice systems... can't they be done the same way as above though? Roll them however you would do at the table and figure it out. Like I said... I've never used them so I don't know if this is possible.

rv

albyn
July 10th, 2005, 20:15
well you can divide the result by two. So if, for example, you needed to roll a d3+2 you could roll a d6+4 and then right click on the result to divide by two. Not the best answer but that would be how I would do it.

Belizan
July 10th, 2005, 21:08
One can, Richvalle, but, why should you? Given you have a computer in front of you, why not gain some benefit out of it? You accept the limitations imposed by having to play through a computer, you may as well attempt to recoup some of the benefits. Rolling a bunch of dice, and then "picking some up" and rolling them again adding the numbers (which you can't really do the way you would in real life), or separating out the dice, based on successes/failures or what have you--all these things are not mimicable in FG. The dice do not actually exist as concrete objects, you can't sort or divide them.

Not to say you can't overcome these "issues", but I see *no* reason, why I shouldn't just be able to do a /die with exploding dice or with a /die some number of dice looking ones over X or under X. It's just far more convenient. For complex macros you don't have the option of human intervention.

TheYeti1775
July 13th, 2005, 14:12
Something like this would be really nice.

/die 1d20 crit 18 20

This would roll a d20 and automatically roll for a confirm critical for any rolls of 18 to 20.

Some use the stacking method, especially on skill checks.

/die 1d20 stacking

This would keep rolling if a 20 is rolled.
i.e.
First Roll = 20
automatically rerolls
Second Roll = 15
adds modifer(if any)
result = 35+modifer

As a person who plays wizards a lot a 1d3 is almost essential.
If the computer needs to roll something for people sensiblities have it roll the d6 1-2 = 1; 3-4 = 2; 5-6 = 3 then add the modifer.

kalmarjan
July 13th, 2005, 18:37
Yep.... got the code right here....

Here (https://forums.fantasygrounds.com/viewtopic.php?t=516&highlight=)

Follow the instructions here, and you will have your d3 command.

Hope this helps.

richvalle
July 14th, 2005, 02:44
One can, Richvalle, but, why should you? Given you have a computer in front of you, why not gain some benefit out of it? You accept the limitations imposed by having to play through a computer, you may as well attempt to recoup some of the benefits. Rolling a bunch of dice, and then "picking some up" and rolling them again adding the numbers (which you can't really do the way you would in real life), or separating out the dice, based on successes/failures or what have you--all these things are not mimicable in FG. The dice do not actually exist as concrete objects, you can't sort or divide them.

Not to say you can't overcome these "issues", but I see *no* reason, why I shouldn't just be able to do a /die with exploding dice or with a /die some number of dice looking ones over X or under X. It's just far more convenient. For complex macros you don't have the option of human intervention.

(Just to take the opposing point of view...)

The developers have a theme... the table top. Maps and character sheets show up as paper, the d20 info is in a book, there are dice on the table that you can roll, ect. In keeping with the theme some possible things would be excluded. The idea is to keep this exp close to what you would have while sitting around a table top with friends. Not playing an crpg or massive on line game. In a table top game I'd roll a d6 to get d3 results and I do the same in FG. There is a consistancy there I like. Same with rolling again if I get a 20.

Again... any /die commands you can do I think you need to be able to do on the table top as well. Once you start to add /die commands that you can't roll, the table top dice become eye candy and on their way to being usless.

Now, that being said... there are things that can be added and keep in this theme. Rolling differance dice at the same time has been brought up. Sometimes to speed things up I like to roll my attack and damage rolls at the same time.

Other dice systems can be added as well (dice pools?). I don't think anyone can blame them for going with the d20 system first. Maybe as time goes on more non d20 die functionality can be added.

This is all my opinion of course. I'm all for others disagreing with me and posting their own opionions! :)

Later,

rv

Belizan
July 14th, 2005, 08:09
Well, I think we can agree to disagree on the 1d3 and other odd dice size related issues, although I think our difference of opinion here represents a philosophical difference which will be pandemic in all these issues.

As for your other comments, in addition to not being able to roll dice of disparate sizes as one could in real life, you also can't roll dice of different colors. Now, I'm not suggesting that they should add a lot of UI to allow for us to do these things with the dice (which are already eye candy IMO), but they should provide the ability to mimic the purposes one would put such mechanisms to via the /die command. D20 with threat die. D20 with damage die. Auto-open end up. Etc. You want to roll the dice by hand, feel free. There is nothing that stops you from picking up the die and rolling it. But that's not a very compelling reason to force those of us who would rather have a /die command to do it automatically, to roll all the dice separately.

If they want to add these features to the eye candy die roller as well, great! I just think the interface involved would probably be pretty irritating (and/or alot more work to write). Personally I already use /die for everything but 1d100--and that one only because I can't :/.

kalmarjan
July 14th, 2005, 13:59
The developers have a theme... the table top. Maps and character sheets show up as paper, the d20 info is in a book, there are dice on the table that you can roll, ect. In keeping with the theme some possible things would be excluded. The idea is to keep this exp close to what you would have while sitting around a table top with friends. Not playing an crpg or massive on line game. In a table top game I'd roll a d6 to get d3 results and I do the same in FG. There is a consistancy there I like. Same with rolling again if I get a 20.

I agree to a point with this RV,
The thing is when you set up hot keys with the /die command, you do not have the luxury of halving a d6 roll to get a d3. The idea of the hotkeys is for expediency, so the play can continue as opposed to just rolling dice. At low levels, the d3 is pretty prevelent, so it is a requirement. Yes, I understand there is no "official" d3, but that is not the point.
The point is, at the table there is no hotkeys, but in FG there is, to help the DM out. So what the code represents is that.
As for dice pools, and such, I agree that this should be done on the side like a normal table experience.
As for the multiple dice, that would be nice, but not really neccesary. I have no problems rolling or hotkeying a /die command twice.

Hope this rambling makes some form of sense.

Cantstanzya
July 14th, 2005, 17:02
A "Dice Cup" of some fashion would be nice to have. You could drag the dice you wish to roll to an icon on the desktop that represents a dice cup. Then you could pick up the icon and throw it in the chat box and all dice would be rolled at once. A cool concept, but I am sure it would involve a lot of coding.

richvalle
July 14th, 2005, 21:26
Nice... I like it!

Dupre
July 15th, 2005, 09:02
So do we. Good stuff :wink: