PDA

View Full Version : Any clues about the next release of FG :)

johnhaines
July 8th, 2005, 08:51
I was just wondering whether there was a roadmap with planned enhancements to FG available?

regards,
John

Belizan
July 8th, 2005, 10:22
I'd really like to know as well.

Cantstanzya
July 8th, 2005, 16:44
I as well.

Mendorian
July 8th, 2005, 17:47
All together now...

Me too me too me too!

:wink:

-Mendo

gurney9999
July 9th, 2005, 04:10
aye! :P

Goose
August 31st, 2005, 16:16
Dont think they are gonna say, if they say anything and then miss it, people will get angry. Most devs prefer to just ignore posts like these. 8)

Crusader
August 31st, 2005, 17:13
Yeah, but Goblin-King did present a roadmap a short while ago in the Greetings from GenCon-thread. And the road ahead looks sweet! :D

Dupre
August 31st, 2005, 19:49
Next up is 1.06 which focuses on scripting. It's not even funny what you can do with FG after that I tell you!

Crusader
August 31st, 2005, 19:54
I'm looking forward to it!

Goose
August 31st, 2005, 20:24
Next up is 1.06 which focuses on scripting. It's not even funny what you can do with FG after that I tell you!

I just recently started using the program and im already addicted to it. Throw us a bone so we can see what ya mean.

Snikle
August 31st, 2005, 20:29
Crusader, what was on the roadmap, anything that really stood out?

Looking forward to scripting already, FG just keeps getting better, and I have only had it for a week now!

Crusader
August 31st, 2005, 20:37
In the words of the man himself:

We've come to a point where we and the users would both like to see stuff in FG that could enable some advanced features, such as using dice pools as well as implementing some functions that require program logic like generators of various kinds.

To implement a mechanism for this, the 1.06 patch will focus primarily on just one thing: scripting and templating. We expect this new addition to help us keep the ruleset definition mechanisms generic by just expanding the built-in functions of the components.

[tech speak]
We're also going to be putting some effort into making sure this doesn't mean non-programmers will drop out of the content/ruleset development effort. We'll be using inheritance and templating as much as possible, which should result in another type of package users can access, namely libraries of modules and extensible components.

We'll be using Lua (https://www.lua.org).
[/tech speak]

We'll also review the default d20 ruleset to take advantage of this. Most of the benefits of this will be better access to a bit more automated features such as better tracking of effect durations by round, die rolls for a set of modifiers such as the attack rolls of a high level fighter, rolling 4 keeping the highest 3 and so on. It'll also be convenient for better ruleset specific math, e.g. for systems with diminishing skill rank effect on bonuses, spell points and so on.

Crusader
August 31st, 2005, 20:45
It's hard to say what will be possible with the scripting, but I have some seriously wild ideas regarding this.