PDA

View Full Version : 1st Edition D&D support?

Doval
July 5th, 2005, 14:51
My gaming group is seriously considering purchasing FG, but I want to see what type of support is available for 1st edition AD&D. I know a few people have posted rule sets, but what about character sheets, monster manual, etc.?

I debated posting this in The Workshop. If the moderators want to move it there I have no problem.

Matt

richvalle
July 5th, 2005, 15:50
I know Elric made a 1st ed rule set. I think he was working on the other books but not sure if he finnished them or not. Try doing a search on his name and find the link to his webpage and check out what he has.

rv

Spyke
July 5th, 2005, 19:34
I've downloaded Elric's ruleset and it looks good. The Monster Manual's there and a good character sheet:

https://www.fantasticadventures.net/modules/wfdownloads/viewcat.php?cid=52

What time zone are you in, Matt? I'm in London (GMT+1). If you've got the full client we could connect and take the AD&D ruleset for a spin.

Graham

Doval
July 5th, 2005, 22:24
I have not yet purchaced the FG program, but I figure I will be in the near future. I got one of my players on line last night with the demo and things went smoothly. I hope to have all 4 of the potential players on Wednesday night and if all goes well, I will purchase it on Thursday.

As to time zones, I'm in Texas (GMT-6). Once I get it downloaded I'd love to give them a spin. I went ahead and downloaded Elric's ruleset and what I can see outside of FG does look good. (but reading XML code in a text editor is not my favotire thing to do). The character sheets do look nice.

Matt

Spyke
July 5th, 2005, 22:44
You're doing better with your group than I with mine :)

Of my four players, one's got a new baby and has no time, one's too broke to buy FG, one has an inexplicable love for Win 98 and won't upgrade, and the other's on a Mac. Still, I'll keep trying...

Graham

Cantstanzya
July 6th, 2005, 00:28
There is hope for the one on Win98. Both of my kids have 98SE and FG runs without a problem. If you are interested I have added a lot to the 1st edition ruleset Elric had put together. I have included Unearthed Arcana and the character sheet is automated (it fills in many of the fields automatically based on race, class and attributes). It is still a work in progress but if you'd like to take a look at it, I'd be happy to send it to you and get some feedback.

Doval
July 6th, 2005, 05:23
Well, I kept thinking about buying the program and I decided to go ahead and take the plunge based on the trial I had last night, so I now have a full copy of the Program. I have added the 1st edition ruleset to the directory structure.

If you would like to send me your updated version I'd love to see it. I hope to start putting my own effort into adding material one of these days. But first I want to see a little bit more of how to implement things in xml. An automated character sheet would be awesome. I have all of the 1st edition books (including Dieties & DemiGods, containing Chuthulu and Melibonean mythos).

BTW, I understand your situation with getting your group together. While I hope to get mine all online, I rather doubt it will ever happen. I have 2 in particular, who I really hope to bring into the fold. The three of us have an AD&D game that started back in 1984 (give or take a year) and it has been dormant for the last 5 years oweing to a lack of time. We've played with other systems (GURPS, FUDGE, FATE, d20, d6, etc.) and all (well most) work fine, but there is soething nostalgic about 1st edition. Bringing back our college days back in the late 70's early 80's.

Matt

Spyke
July 6th, 2005, 08:09
Cantstanzya, yes, please send me your ruleset. Where are we regarding copyright, though, if you have added automation to the sheet? Obviously it's fine for personal use, but it might be a problem if you plan to distribute it. I created a fully automated sheet for GURPS for GRIP, and Steve Jackson asked me to bin it, as it violated his licensing agreement with Worlds Apart. (I must write to SJG and get their position on a simple character sheet for FG.)

I've tried to run the demo on a W98 machine and it fails on startup. I'll test it with the full application.

Matt, my group echoes yours. We began playing in 1979, and I've had a D&D campaign running with the same players since 1981. We switched to GURPS in the late 80s for everything but the main campaign, and have just recently converted that to GURPS 4e, though haven't had the first GURPS session yet. But it's hard to get everyone together these days and I'm pushing FG and the like for all they're worth.

Doval
July 6th, 2005, 13:28
I'm not a corporate lawyer, but it would seem to me that if all it did was table lookups, from tables provided in the SRD, then there should be no problem.

Graham, if your still game to give the rule set a spin we can try to find a time to get on together. You're 6 hours ahead of me, which poses a small problem. I'd bet the best time would be late afternoon for me which would be late evening for you. Maybe 4pm here, which would be 10pm there (give or take an hour)? I have no idea what your schedule is like. If you happen to work night shifts or something (I assume you work basically 8-5), then please propose an alternative. I teach classes at the local university roughly 8-5, but I can flex my schedule an hour one oway or the other.

Matt

richvalle
July 6th, 2005, 16:46
I'm not a corporate lawyer, but it would seem to me that if all it did was table lookups, from tables provided in the SRD, then there should be no problem.

From what I've heard the problem is that WotC has a rule that such things can NOT be automated. So you can make stuff for your own use but releasing it for others would be a big No-No.

rv

Doval
July 7th, 2005, 02:40
If you look at the character sheet distributed with the demo version for the d20 system, it does basic table lookups for bonuses etc. based on the abilitiy scores. I assume that this is "legal" and did not ruffle feathers at WotC.

Matt

richvalle
July 7th, 2005, 15:20
Ummm, yes that is true. I think its the combat stuff that can't be automated.

rv