PDA

View Full Version : Lost Mine of Phandelver pregen characters - Bios & Personal Goals? Where are they?

callahan09
June 6th, 2016, 19:11
I have the 5e Starter Set physical product, and the pregenerated characters, on the backs of each character sheet, contain a biography & personal goal that really extend their backstories and give them a hook into the Lost Mine of Phandelver adventure. I was just curious, are these anywhere in the module for Fantasy Grounds? I've loaded in the pregen characters to the campaign and looked through all the story nodes, and I still haven't figured out where this info might exist in the module? Is it just not there, or have I somehow missed it?

Zacchaeus
June 6th, 2016, 19:44
No, I can't see them anywhere in the module. I'll report it as a bug and see whether those can be included. I suspect it will have to be as story entries since I'm not sure that it can be included in the character sheet.

callahan09
June 6th, 2016, 20:00
No, I can't see them anywhere in the module. I'll report it as a bug and see whether those can be included. I suspect it will have to be as story entries since I'm not sure that it can be included in the character sheet.

Thanks! I actually typed them up as story entries myself so that I could share them with my players, but if they were someday included in the module that would be really cool and helpful.

Oh and another note that's kind of unrelated, but is there a way that the character sheet can be updated in the Notes tab to include a new area where we can drag & drop story entries as links? I have a lot of background notes on various characters that I create Story entries for, but as of now I don't know of any way to link to them on the character sheet.

Zacchaeus
June 6th, 2016, 20:05
Thanks! I actually typed them up as story entries myself so that I could share them with my players, but if they were someday included in the module that would be really cool and helpful.

Oh and another note that's kind of unrelated, but is there a way that the character sheet can be updated in the Notes tab to include a new area where we can drag & drop story entries as links? I have a lot of background notes on various characters that I create Story entries for, but as of now I don't know of any way to link to them on the character sheet.

No, the character sheet doesn't support formatted text at present.

Trenloe
June 6th, 2016, 20:11
The issue with formatted text and linking to story entries in character sheets is that this could make the character data very specific to that FG campaign database - as it would be linked to story entries in the campaign. If that character was exported to another campaign all of those links would be invalid - potentially opening different story entries in the new campaign (as they have numerical references). Whereas allowing story links would be nice, it could break the character export functionality.

I'd recommend copy/paste of such info into the "Notes" section on the "Notes" tab of the character sheet. Sure, it doesn't have fancy formatting, but it keeps all of the data within the character sheet record.

callahan09
June 8th, 2016, 15:29
The issue with formatted text and linking to story entries in character sheets is that this could make the character data very specific to that FG campaign database - as it would be linked to story entries in the campaign. If that character was exported to another campaign all of those links would be invalid - potentially opening different story entries in the new campaign (as they have numerical references). Whereas allowing story links would be nice, it could break the character export functionality.

I'd recommend copy/paste of such info into the "Notes" section on the "Notes" tab of the character sheet. Sure, it doesn't have fancy formatting, but it keeps all of the data within the character sheet record.

Thanks for the advice and info on how things work. I can definitely see why links to story entries wouldn't be a great thing...

Here's what I've done instead: I put my biography note in as a Trait feature. I like this because it works as a link and opens up in its own window where I can have an extensive amount of text and still be very readable, which I feel is a problem with using the Notes section. Of course, I also put in a link to an image inside my biography trait, because I like to use a nice detailed full size drawing of my characters, and I guess if I exported the character and loaded it into a new campaign, it wouldn't export this image? I could test it later I guess, but my instinct says that the image link will be broken if I import the character into a new campaign?

Anyway, I like creating an item in my Traits section and calling it "Biography" and getting the job done in there, but I feel like... maybe the Notes section should be transitioned into a list like this, rather than just a text field? Where the Notes section becomes actually a list where each line is the title of an individual note with a link to open up that note in its own window, just like Feats/Features/Traits all work in the Abilities tab? That would be really nice, I think.

Trenloe
June 8th, 2016, 15:35
I guess if I exported the character and loaded it into a new campaign, it wouldn't export this image? I could test it later I guess, but my instinct says that the image link will be broken if I import the character into a new campaign?
Correct, just like story entries I mentioned above, campaign images linked to the PC sheet would not be exported.