PDA

View Full Version : First time DM - Module advice

Gwydion
June 6th, 2016, 15:27
So, I've been diving into to FG for a couple months to get familiar with it, creating my own basic modules, constructing traps and figuring out how to manage the CT. I've also run my family through a couple sessions of LMOP. However, that is my complete experience as a DM! I'm now expanding to a small group to start a new campaign. Three are co-workers/friends who have a fair amount of rpg experience in general (some with AD&D, others with various other RPG's but not D&D) and my wife who is brand new to rpg's. Since I've already run my wife through the early part of LMOP I'm interested in what module you all think would be a good one for all of us (including me as a new DM). I intended to pick up HOTDQ when it was on sale but I just missed it! I've also read that is pretty challenging for a new DM. I love the idea of Out of the Abyss and even purchased the hardcover adventure but again that seems way too ambitious for a new party and DM as it seems VERY open.

So, all that being said I'm thinking about running the group through a basic dungeon I set up for a session or two, just to get us all used to playing together, making sure we get all the player actions/hotkeys set up the way we want and all the FG options and then running them through the Legacy of the Crystal Shard which I picked up recently on FG but have not yet read through, so I will have some studying to do.

Any thoughts/advice is much appreciated!

Zacchaeus
June 6th, 2016, 15:40
Legacy of the Crystal Shard is, IMO, the best of the WotC adventures and I'd highly recommend it. I'd also recommend the Legendary Games ones, although I have a vested interest obviously but there are a number of small adventures that you can run in a couple of sessions and there's a larger campaign ('The Assimilation Strain', 'To World's Unknown') which will eventually encompass 5 full adventures taking the characters from 1-20. They are a bit different in that they are 'Sword and Planet' adventures meaning they have a sci-fi element to them.

Additionally, the first in a new series of adventures aimed at beginner DMs and younger players 'The Bandit's Cave' will be out soon. This one is the first of five adventures which will lead the players through a mini campaign from 1st to 5th level. Each adventure will easily last 3-4 sessions and can also be used as stand alone introductory scenes to one of the bigger WotC adventures which although are supposed to start at level 1 work better at level 3 or so.

Gwydion
June 6th, 2016, 15:48
Excellent. Thanks Zacchaeus! I also previously purchased Into the Feyweald and hope to run my daughters through that in the near future. Looks like a great adventure for them.

Seya
June 6th, 2016, 15:58
Crows rest is a great started adventure also.

Trenloe
June 6th, 2016, 16:22
You could also look at the AAW early A0X series: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/?sys=17&pub=22&typ=3&search=A0&sort=3

A00 (Crow's Rest Island mentioned by Seya above) doesn't appear to be on the FG store, but you can get it from here: https://adventureaweek.com/shop/5e-a00-crows-rest-island-fantasy-grounds/

The series guide gives you a good idea on how to string these together, and what type of adventure they are: https://adventureaweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/AaW-Series-Guide.pdf

If you take up a one month free subscription to the AAW Games website you can get access to all of their adventures in an online web format to read, and can also download 2 products a month (which includes Fantasy Grounds modules). You can find a code to get your first month free in the post on May 4th for B24 Young Minds on the AAW Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Adventureaweek

With an AAW subscription you can download 2 products a month - these include FG adventures. Also, during the subscription, you get access to web versions of all of their adventures - so you can check out which adventure you like before downloading the FG version. It's worth looking at with the one month free subscription code so you can check the adventures and download a couple.

Gwydion
June 6th, 2016, 18:05
Thanks Seya and Trenloe. I've looked at AAW before but never dove in. The free month is a great idea to try it out. I've got a couple options now!

Seya
June 6th, 2016, 18:09
It's the first and only campaign I have DMed and it's been great. We are in the second one now. I didn't get a sub I just bought them. I run that instead of legacy of the crystal shard was because I didn't seen any other campaigns of crows running at the same time to compete with. My group filled up very fast and I met some sweet people. I have went on to play other campaigns with them also and we have a great time.

Gwydion
June 7th, 2016, 13:41
I signed up for the one month free and downloaded the first two (Crow's Rest and Crypt of the Sun Lord). I think this will be better for me as a first time DM so I don't get too worried about the entire story, foreshadowing, etc. but rather can focus on fleshing out these shorter adventures that are built to connect together. I'm creating my syrinscape sounds to go with the first one and can't wait to run my group through it. Thanks again for the advice and glad you found a great group.

drakonin
June 7th, 2016, 17:44
Best advice I can give to new DMs is read the module, then read it again, wait a day or so then read it again.
During player combat turns use that time to read ahead a little/refresh what you know.
I love Syrinscape but try to use it as background stuff and leave it alone, it can be very distracting even for veteran DMs.
If you have time play as you PCs and see if encounters are a challenge, my early years I would underestimate what my party can do and they would roll over my encounters.
This goes hand in hand with above but don't pull punches, yes it can be jarring to kill a character but some of the best/memorable times my players have is when some one dies.
Don't over plan. Plain and simple stick to an idea/outline but never micromanage encounters they will almost never go as you think they will.

Hope this helps!

Gwydion
June 7th, 2016, 18:08
Thanks, drakonin! Sounds like great advice. I hadn't thought of the idea of playing as the PCs in advance but that sounds smart. Definitely will plan to try that. I think you're right on Syrinscape too. I love it and will probably start with just some of the background stuff like storms, etc...