PDA

View Full Version : Extras/WCs taking more than 1 or 3 Wounds before being flagged as Incapacitated in CT

pirateorion
June 5th, 2016, 19:48
I'm hoping for a little help getting pointed in the right direction.

I want to build an Edge which allows an Extra or a WC dragged to the Combat Tracker to take more than 1 Wound (in the case of Extras) or 3 Wounds (in the case of WCs) before being flagged as Incapacitated.

In a number of my space settings I've repeated the theme of Pirates of the Spanish Main in that a vehicle of a certain size can take multiple Wounds before dying (A 4-masted ship can take 4 Wounds, a 5-masted ship can take 5 Wounds, a star-fighter can take 1 Wound, a cruiser can take 4 Wounds, etc.). I often find it easier in vehicle battles such as starfighter dog-fights, to build the pilot and vehicle as a composite extra for using in the CT, but obviously as Extras they get flagged for Incapacitated after 1 Wound.

Anyway, I've written a couple modules for my games prior to Ikaels amazing Enhanced Library Extension which has made the process much easier and I've been working slowly through the base code in my free time to try and figure out the variable I need for programming an Edge to achieve the effect I want.

My questions are; Am I re-treading something that has already been fixed somewhere? If not, do any coders know the variable I'm looking for already or whether the function can be supported by an Effect?

Thanks everyone.

pirateorion
July 25th, 2016, 23:29
bump

Ikael
July 26th, 2016, 07:20
bump

Its much more complicated than single variable since no such feature is supported out-of-the-box atm. You would need to extend chunk of CT codes to make it work.

Skellan
July 26th, 2016, 15:01
I know it is not exactly the effect you are looking for, but there a few things you could try within the existing mechanics to get a similar effect.

You could use fatigue as a damage buffer (perhaps the first 1 or 2 wounds are converted to fatigue before you get to doing actual wounds..).
You could give them (even extras) more bennies along with the elan edge. They will soak a wound on a 2+ which s pretty good odds.
You could increase toughness/armour
There is also the fanatics setting rule.

Mask_of_winter
July 26th, 2016, 15:54
I know it is not exactly the effect you are looking for, but there a few things you could try within the existing mechanics to get a similar effect.

You could use fatigue as a damage buffer (perhaps the first 1 or 2 wounds are converted to fatigue before you get to doing actual wounds..).
You could give them (even extras) more bennies along with the elan edge. They will soak a wound on a 2+ which s pretty good odds.
You could increase toughness/armour
There is also the fanatics setting rule.
Or just remove the Inc icon with a simple click of the mouse like I do :)

Skellan
July 26th, 2016, 16:06
Or just remove the Inc icon with a simple click of the mouse like I do :)

Ha! Yep, or as I like to tell my players, 'he's nearly dead!'

pirateorion
August 2nd, 2016, 00:10
Thanks for the great suggestions! I'll keep un-clicking incapacitated for now. I did initially make sure to use the Construct ability and Fatigue which was helpful.

I'll also keep digging around in the code when I get a chance and look at some of your awesome extensions, Ikael, for reference to get an idea on how I might set it up.