PDA

View Full Version : Steam Link/Gamepad sale

Varsuuk
June 5th, 2016, 06:50
No club if this might be useful for FG or not but figured post an alert.

I noticed both of these on sale $50->35 on Steam and after checking, Amazon. I ordered through Amzon due to Prime and known ease of returns.

I got it so my son could play his Steam games in the living room but it hit me that for those with a TV near table where you play that it might be a good way to "handout" pics and show battle map or ever have a "player" account signed on to DM laptop so that they can see party sheet and or other stuff to aid in desktop game... or not ;) not sure. Figured toss out an alert since its only on until Monday and someone might have feedback on it of value in others making a decision.

callahan09
June 6th, 2016, 18:54
I hope you get it while it's still on sale and can let us know what you think of it. I thought about buying it, but I own a 50ft HDMI cable that reaches across my living room to my PC so when I want it on my TV I just do that and I figure an HDMI connection is probably a little more seamless and less error prone than the wireless connection over WiFi. But if the Steam Link works really well I could definitley see the benefit of it. Not having to uncoil and run the 50ft wire across my room whenever I want to connect the two devices would be much more convenient.

Trenloe
June 6th, 2016, 18:59
... and less error prone than the wireless connection over WiFi.
Interesting to note that the first bullet point in the Steam Link entry on Amazon says "Wired network is strongly recommended"

Just pick which cable (network to Steam Link or HDMI to TV) you want to run across your living room! :) Unless, like me, you've already got wired networking into a little switch by my TV and A/V units.

Varsuuk
June 6th, 2016, 19:48
I used to have wired networking at the TV. My Den was on other side of the wall with about 6 pcs wired up in that room. Then boy came and got the old "ferret's room"... a very small 3rd bedroom at the opposite end of the house. Den was slightly largest room.

Once past Toddler... we swapped. He got our old bedroom again at the back of the house and we took the old Den as our MBR. We had cable wire back but that moved the entry point and from then on had to rely on wifi to TV. Then when got a Blurray with Amazon Prime on it (TV was only Samsung year without it on the big screens) I decided to add an AC network connection to improve it. TV had good wireless but the blurray didn't do well with wireless and I used the ethernet port instead. Since then, we hardly ever used the bluray for anything other than discs. But I picked up a "2Gig" AC thing for bedroom TV when we moved it to other side of door arch vs extending the cable around the door ;P ... so gonna see if the "2G" AC thing works well with the Steam box vs wireless.

It's basically for my son... so wife has more quiet place to work when he is on his PC nearly all day. the big sell for him is big screen vs his small 21" monitor. Hopefully it will work well for his type of games at least.
Won't know for a bit since I ordered from Amazon for simpler returns and they had it on backorder - but will know eventually and update for next time on sale ;)