PDA

View Full Version : steam purchases

The Rouse
June 4th, 2016, 19:26
Hi everyone,

I'm sure this has been asked, but I couldn't find the post so sorry for the redundancy.

I bought my FG license through FG. I was given a steam gift card and would like to use it to buy some FG stuff. If I buy it on Steam, can I still access it through my FG even though it wasn't bought on steam?

thanks in advance.

Zacchaeus
June 4th, 2016, 20:24
I believe that the answer is yes - once your software gets registered with Steam. I think the the license keys get sent to Steam every so often so that Steam recognizes your FG purchase. If you email [email protected] you'll get more information if the above isn't sufficient.

Moon Wizard
June 4th, 2016, 21:32
They're registered every 6-8 weeks with Steam, since it's a manual process for Steam to add them.

Regards,
JPG

The Rouse
June 4th, 2016, 22:00
Thanks, I appreciate the help!

Galach
June 7th, 2016, 15:04
I don’t know if you already knew it, but to make sure everything works out for you, I made a quick guide on how activate Fantasy Grounds on Steam, if you purchased it directly from FG Store. Since Steam requires that you have your game registered in order to permit the purchase of DLC’s (FG modules are DLC’s for Steam), you will need to do this.

If FG is already installed in your computer, you can continue using it without Steam, and you will only need to open Steam when you perform a FG update, or installing a module acquired through Steam Store – make sure that Steam Service is enabled in Windows, or it won’t work.

Finally, since the keys are updated on Steam every 6-8 weeks, is possible that you receive an error message while trying to activate your FG there, but not if your purchase is older than 8 weeks – in that case, you will need to contact the customer support.

Anyway, here we go:

1. Open your Steam Library. At the left bottom corner, you will find an entry like “+ ADD A GAME”. Click there and then select “Activate a Product on Steam”.

2. A new window will pop up. You need to read it and hit “Next” button.

3. In the following window, you will have a User Agreement, read it and if you agree, hit “I Agree” button.

4. In the last window, you will enter your FG License Key, and hit “Next”.

5. After Steam finds it, it will automatically add your product to your library and you just need to click on “OK” to end the process.

Trenloe
June 7th, 2016, 15:25
I bought my FG license through FG. I was given a steam gift card and would like to use it to buy some FG stuff. If I buy it on Steam, can I still access it through my FG even though it wasn't bought on steam?
Most of the replies here have been for the base product and registering that purchase on Steam.

Once you've done that, you can then purchase DLC on Steam. In order to get those DLC products into FG you will need to check the "Check Steam for DLC" in the FG settings and make sure you have the Steam client installed on your computer and logged in with the Steam user who made the purchase. Then run a FG update, it will connect to the Steam client, check your DLC and install what you've purchased through Steam.

Moon Wizard
June 7th, 2016, 17:01
Also, all products and sales on Steam are exactly the same on the FG web store.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
June 7th, 2016, 17:05
Oh, I forgot to mention. Don't buy DLC through Steam if you're using a Mac, the update process won't work with the Steam client on a Mac. Purchase your DLC through the FG store is using a Mac. This is just for DLC, buying the base FG product on Steam for a Mac is OK.

NotRussellCrowe
June 7th, 2016, 17:30
One thing I also discovered is on my machine, running Windows 10, I have to launch Steam as an administrator or else I get an error when updating/downloading from Steam.

Galach
June 7th, 2016, 17:47
Posted by Trenloe:

Oh, I forgot to mention. Don't buy DLC through Steam if you're using a Mac, the update process won't work with the Steam client on a Mac. Purchase your DLC through the FG store is using a Mac. This is just for DLC, buying the base FG product on Steam for a Mac is OK.

Same is true about Linux, if you are using it.

Posted by NotRussellCrowe:

One thing I also discovered is on my machine, running Windows 10, I have to launch Steam as an administrator or else I get an error when updating/downloading from Steam.

Strange, I am running Win 10 (for now) and it works well withouth the need to lauch Steam as admin.

ddavison
June 7th, 2016, 20:33
It really depends on your security configuration. I run Windows 10 and don't have to run it separately as an Admin either.

NotRussellCrowe
June 7th, 2016, 20:34
Must just be how my account is setup then. I upgraded from Windows 8, maybe that has something to do with it. Oh well, not like I update often so it's not biggie.

Nylanfs
June 7th, 2016, 20:41
It could be that it was installed with admin privileges under Win 8?

NotRussellCrowe
June 7th, 2016, 20:42
Maybe. Steam came preinstalled on my laptop from Dell. I don't have to run it as admin to buy or use steam, just for when I run the FG update, otherwise it says I need to start the Steam client, even if it's started.

I'm not complaining about it or anything, it doesn't bother me at all now that I discovered what to do. I was just offering the advice in case someone else ran into the same problem.