PDA

View Full Version : On the Fly Creation

gurney9999
June 30th, 2005, 21:43
I just wanted to say I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to create content on the fly while in a session.

I was in CC2, created a quick map, took a screenshot of it, used Paint to save it as a .png, dropped it in my campaign/images folder, and then was able to share it with my player, all while my player was connected.

I did the same thing with an image I found online of a monster.

I also created a story item, created chat framed text, linked it to an image, pulled in stats from the monster area... all in game.

Maybe not a "selling point", but I have much more confidence in creating content on-the-fly than I had before.

Cool.

Bitr_Haag
July 1st, 2005, 19:29
I've had to do the same but I wasn't able to get the image to show up consistently. Does that only work w/ .png? I typically use .jpg for the smaller file size.

Also, have you made it work w/ icons?? I had to have everyone log out and log back in when I was working on something on the fly.

Is there some "refresh" or "save" button that brings in new images?

Thanks!

gurney9999
July 1st, 2005, 19:53
not sure about .jpg vs. .png. I did save as .png though (photoshop allows for clear backgrounds for the circular tokens I created).

I don't think I had to have my player log out. I know once or twice I had to close for all and share again to get things to work right.

Snikle
August 21st, 2005, 05:24
I was just messing around and was able to run FG, then go into Fireworks (png is native format! ya baby!) and created a new token for a player, save into token folder, and bam next time i opened token box, it was there, no refresh or anything.
png has a native transarent background.

richvalle
August 21st, 2005, 20:30
Really?

I've been able to get images to show up on the fly but for tokens I've had to restart FG to get them to show up. They have been .jpg's though. I wonder if it treats .pmg's different.

rv

Cantstanzya
August 22nd, 2005, 02:22
Yea, same here. I can create on the fly with maps but not tokens. I think I was using .pngs.

richvalle
August 22nd, 2005, 02:28
As long as we are on the topic... I'd like to plug this as a request.

When I had players joining me for the first time they emailed me pictures/tokens for their character which was great. The problem was that I already had other players attached so in order to get the tokens in place I had to restart and boot everyone.

rv

Cantstanzya
August 22nd, 2005, 03:13
I am pretty sure that if the user puts the portrait in the FantasyGrounds\portrait directory when they choose it in the game, it will share with others. So, instead of the player emailing the portrait to you have them put it in their portrait directory and let them choose it. So you character could have many portraits of themself, one in armor, one badly wounded ect and change it to show their mood, health, or attire. I don't think this will work with tokens but I never tried it.

richvalle
August 22nd, 2005, 12:01
Yes, to tell the truth I ignored the portrait one.

Hmmm, can they change theirs on the fly then? Just rename the pictures on their side and FG will show the new one?

rv

Goblin-King
August 23rd, 2005, 14:18
To summarize the actual operation of the program:
to import an image on the fly, the GM needs to put an image into the folder, and switch back to FG
to import a new portrait, the GM or player needs to put an image into the portrait folder on his/her computer, and reopen the portrait selection sheet if it's already open. Portrait changes are local though, and if the GM updates his portraits, nothing will happen on the players' end on the fly. Only the player needs to have the file in this directory for it to be visible to everyone if it's selected into use.
tokens can't be imported on the fly (although this thread got us discussing this already but no promises)