PDA

View Full Version : Called Shot and Armour

Zacchaeus
June 1st, 2016, 12:13
So we have an NPC who's all tooled up with Kevlar armour adding a +4 to his toughness making it a tad difficult for the PCs to do any damage. Enterprising PC decides that the Kevlar doesn't cover the target head and so makes a called shot. Now, however when they roll damage it's still against a toughness including the armour. So what's the best way of dealing with this? I ended up just adjusting the damage in the CT by adding in the difference between actual toughness and toughness including armour. I couldn't see any kind of effect which I could write to reduce toughness and the armour adjustment box thingie in the bottom left only takes positive numbers. Is there a more elegant way?

Mortar
June 1st, 2016, 12:37
How about just having the character add the toughness rating of the armor to his damage roll using the modifier "thingie" at the bottom of the screen? The net effect is that the armor and the plus to damage will cancel each other out - so the same result as manually doing it.

I can enter a negative modifier on the armor adjust on toughness by using the minus key on the number pad.

Zacchaeus
June 1st, 2016, 12:43
Indeed, that is another solution that I thought of and should have mentioned. I just wondered if I had missed an obvious effect I could have written (I like effects :)).

Whilst you can enter a negative number it doesn't have any apparent effect.

Mask_of_winter
June 1st, 2016, 13:40
Right next to the Mod collector box, there are three boxes, if you hover over them they are: Armor adjustment, Armor Piercing adjustment and Damage multiplier.
If you type in "-4" in the Armor Adjustment box before rolling damage, this will do what you want here.

I've cued this video (https://youtu.be/Wnng_95UmnY?t=43m49s) to where Aki gives us an explanation on how this works.
You'll also find a lot of useful tips in the rest of this video.
Also, I've made a few short videos here in my playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkxh6-XJwpFsKfYrSnzbwYNCizY3DAOIa

Zacchaeus
June 1st, 2016, 14:55
Aha! As I said above whilst you can put a negative number into the armour box it does not reduce the armour by that amount. Anything negative in that box is ignored - only positive numbers take effect.

However the answer is in the next box - the Armour piercing box. If I put a +4 in there then it effectively negates the armour bonus for the Kevlar and calculates damage appropriately against the armourless toughness.

Coming from 5e I'm always looking for effects to do things like this; forgetting that there may well be other, and perhaps easier methods. :)

damned
June 1st, 2016, 15:06
5e has bells and whistles that just dont exist in other rulesets....

Zacchaeus
June 1st, 2016, 16:25
5e has bells and whistles that just dont exist in other rulesets....

Indeed; but I like a great deal of what the Savage Worlds ruleset offers. There's a few things in there that aren't in the 5e ruleset; some of course specific to Savage Worlds but some things that would be nice in the 5e ruleset too.