PDA

View Full Version : Next FG Con- FG Daze?

ShotGun Jolly
June 1st, 2016, 11:19
Hey Guys.. (Damned, Mask)

My schedule has finally been locked in so I know what I am going to be working for the next year..

So.. question is..

When are we looking at the next set of FG Cons and Daze's? :)

Jolly

damned
June 1st, 2016, 12:13
FG Con will be either October 7/8/9 or 14/15/16.
We didnt do a FGDaze as GamerGeekend was coming up this month but I just got word yesterday that this has been pushed back.
I was *just about to* start exploring dates for FGDaze. FGDaze doesnt require much lead time - how does Sat 11th or Sat 25th look?

Zacchaeus
June 1st, 2016, 12:14
I was *just about to* start exploring dates for FGDaze. FGDaze doesnt require much lead time - how does Sat 11th or Sat 25th look?

Of which month? :)

damned
June 1st, 2016, 12:21
Of which month? :)

Cmon my Scottish friend! How many months have Saturday 11th in them? I count one left this year! :)

Zacchaeus
June 1st, 2016, 12:49
Cmon my Scottish friend! How many months have Saturday 11th in them? I count one left this year! :)

Indeed, but that means me having to find a calendar :)

I'm leaning towards the end of the month since next weekend might be difficult but then you might not really want me running any games anyway :)

Mask_of_winter
June 1st, 2016, 13:17
My Saturdays are booked this month unfortunately.

damned
June 1st, 2016, 15:01
My Saturdays are booked this month unfortunately.

Friday where you live is Saturday where I live. It doesnt *have* to run on Saturday...

Mask_of_winter
June 1st, 2016, 15:26
Friday where you live is Saturday where I live. It doesnt *have* to run on Saturday...
Damn Damned! Always have to be right hehe

Mortar
June 1st, 2016, 16:07
Indeed, but that means me having to find a calendar :)

I'm leaning towards the end of the month since next weekend might be difficult but then you might not really want me running any games anyway :)

Wait?? Scotsmen even know what a calendar is?

Since it was Jolly that started this, the 25th might be better for him.

Zacchaeus
June 1st, 2016, 16:28

We don't; that's why I wanted him to tell me rather than find out what a calendar was :)

Hector Trelane
June 1st, 2016, 17:11
We didnt do a FGDaze as GamerGeekend was coming up this month but I just got word yesterday that this has been pushed back.

I'm more likely to run something (and something with more quality) with more lead time. (Of course, I could always play.)

I'm planning to do a one-shot DramaSystem game using background characters from Vikings (the History Channel TV show, which arguably has the most righteous opening credits sequence ever...) This would be a fun, compelling taste of the DramaSystem's unique approach to gaming--but I probably couldn't prepare it in June.

That said, charge ahead with the timing that works best for the most people.

ShotGun Jolly
June 1st, 2016, 22:52

Since it was Jolly that started this, the 25th might be better for him.

Indeed it would be! :)

Black Hammer
June 2nd, 2016, 03:22
I'd like to run a game this FG con whenever it is assuming I remember when we're having it this time. Possibly Mutant: Genlab Alpha.

NotRussellCrowe
June 2nd, 2016, 14:46
I'm rather new here, what is the difference between FGDaze and FG Con?

Mask_of_winter
June 2nd, 2016, 15:57
FG Con is the bi-annual big event that spans over a weekend.
FG Daze is a more casual event we schedule a few times a year for a Saturday using the FG forums.

NotRussellCrowe
June 2nd, 2016, 15:57
Are they both the same where there are no license restrictions and a bunch of people will DM for everyone else?

Trenloe
June 2nd, 2016, 16:53
Are they both the same where there are no license restrictions
There will be no change to licenses. Players will need a standard license if the GM has a standard. The usual option of the 30 day free trial is there for new players to play for free.

and a bunch of people will DM for everyone else?
Yes.

Hector Trelane
June 2nd, 2016, 19:09
There will be no change to licenses. Players will need a standard license if the GM has a standard. The usual option of the 30 day free trial is there for new players to play for free.

Yes.

Since these events are intended to build the community, I also think the following should be required registration information:

Astrological sign:
Favorite album as a teenager:
Do you like long walks on the beach?
Who I think is more mighter (check one): Conan or the Predator.

Actually, joking aside, it might be nice to register player/GM interests plus timezone and schedule availability, to help with game recruitment. If this info is already captured somewhere on the forums, I'm not aware.

ShotGun Jolly
June 3rd, 2016, 02:52
Looking forward to the 25th!

DM|Mag
June 8th, 2016, 06:53
I just found out about this tonight, and was considering opening up recruitment for a second instance of my dungeon crawl earlier this morning. It seems the perfect time for a free for all, play to apply scenario for folks to vie for a slot in my upcoming campaign. I've worked up a recruit thread elsewhere for the campaign, but I will set aside tomorrow to get some pre-made's started for folks who just jump in to try it out. Work on a thread here for the actual FG-Daze event.

I'm new here, and new to FG, so will be good to just jump in I think and make the best of the FG-Daze event. Will be a chance for players here to get to know me perhaps, and for me to invite folks from elsewhere who might be curious about FG to try out FG expanding your user base.

Mortar
June 16th, 2016, 01:39
Looking forward to the 25th!

Me not so much. My youngest son graduates from high school next week and all that weekend I have to entertain a house full of grand parents and other associated hangers-on.

Mask_of_winter
June 16th, 2016, 01:43
Are they all Toronto Maple Leafs fans?

Mortar
June 16th, 2016, 01:48
Nah, most of them are rednecks and don't even know what plumbing is let alone the best sport. There a couple more even more out in left field and pronounce it "comme l'hockey, eh"

DM|Mag
June 16th, 2016, 01:52
That sounds terrible,​ but congrats on your son graduating. Good luck with that, and if you can get them all to pass out early, I haven't gotten much interest for my dungeon crawl scenario so you can feel free to drop by and kill some undead if that's up your alley. I'll be around that evening just doing campaign work if folks don't show, or running my scenario if I get interest. Either way I'll be around and hope everyone enjoys that evening. :)

Mortar
June 16th, 2016, 01:55
Thanks, but none of them will leave early....I'm paying for the food. The only consolation none of them drink...so the beer is safe ;)

Mask_of_winter
June 16th, 2016, 01:55
FGDaze will start filling out next week. We haven't advertised it much yet. But as always, we rely on the community to get the word out.

DM|Mag
June 16th, 2016, 02:02
Thanks, but none of them will leave early....I'm paying for the food. The only consolation none of them drink...so the beer is safe ;)

Salvation in suds. I'd go the wine until dark, then rum route myself. Well at least there's alcohol!

@Mask_of_winter: Good to know. Being new here to the site, software and event, learning how that works is good for next time around. I've got a couple people from elsewhere who are considering it. I didn't have enough advance notice to craft something special, and just got the software 3 weeks ago? So throwing out the stuff I have prepped to start my first session of the campaign running this coming Saturday was best I could do short notice. Either it takes off, or I redistribute time into new campaigns. Dwarves stomping zombies and vampires isn't everyone's taste but should be fun for some. If not, I've got more ideas than time to run. If I had known previously, I'd have freed up the day, but my regular session is 12-5 Saturdays. So I'll be prepping from 9 am until noon, then playing my Descent campaign until 5, getting food and prepping for my FG Daze event until 7, then running until the wee hours of the morning if it's a success. I'll need some drinks and caffeine I think. :ninja:

Mask_of_winter
June 16th, 2016, 02:07
Thanks for running an event for FGDaze DMMag!

DM|Mag
June 16th, 2016, 02:09
No problem, thanks for having these kinds of things. It's a nice way to get the word out for DM's, and a chance for players to have a good time. I'm digging the active community here!

lesliev
June 16th, 2016, 11:50
This will be my first public session as a DM using FG, so any advice would be welcome!
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?31977-FGDaze!-Saturday-June-25th-2016-Game-announcement-thread&p=275154&viewfull=1#post275154

Should I cross-post the announcement to other parts of the forum?

damned
June 16th, 2016, 12:00
Putting it in your sig and the main thread are the first steps.
Give it 24 hours and if you are not getting any interest then reply on some of the new players who are LFG in the last 2 weeks.

Advice on FG? Dont over complicate it. Run teh story and dont sweat on the bells and whistles.
PM all your players and ask them for their email addresses. Communicate with them prior to game day and confirm their attendance.
Let them know you are new to GMing and to be patient.
Start on time and finish on time or early. If you are not sure you will finish on time (now) extend the time in the post.
Expect to spend up to 30mins showing new players around and how to roll stuff on char sheet and make attacks.
No more than 3 encounters for 3 hour session and 4 encounters for 4.5hrs. If you are in the second last encounter and you can see time running short reduce the NPCs HP (or HD/AC) so the fight finishes quicker.

Enjoy your self.

Mortar
June 16th, 2016, 12:06
And above all....just have fun. Thanks for running a game!

damned
June 16th, 2016, 12:16
And above all....just have fun. Thanks for running a game!

You will need a break from all the fun going on at your place that weekend. Lock yourself away in a quiet corner and roll some dice with friends.
Dont worry about what all your family will think... they always knew you were different to them ;)

lesliev
June 16th, 2016, 15:45
You will need a break from all the fun going on at your place that weekend. Lock yourself away in a quiet corner and roll some dice with friends.
Dont worry about what all your family will think... they always knew you were different to them ;)

Haha, the rest of my family will not be at home that day. But they are not so different - they usually end up as the guinea pigs in all my game-mastering experiments!

Thanks for all the advice!

Blackfoot
June 22nd, 2016, 16:34
Do we have a scheduled date for the next FGCon? October sometime?

Trenloe
June 22nd, 2016, 16:42
October sometime?
Yep.

DM|Mag
June 22nd, 2016, 17:58
Oh really? Is this a regular rotation thing that is like your FG-Daze event going on this Saturday?

Hector Trelane
June 22nd, 2016, 18:02
Oh really? Is this a regular rotation thing that is like your FG-Daze event going on this Saturday?

Yes, a twice-per year Con and a twice per year mini-con (Daze). The community's effort to be welcoming, help new players get in games, and broaden the array of games offered.

Blackfoot
June 22nd, 2016, 18:03
Oh really? Is this a regular rotation thing that is like your FG-Daze event going on this Saturday?The Con is generally a much bigger deal than the FGDaze event. There are usually like 50+ games being run over 3 days.

Trenloe
June 22nd, 2016, 18:03
A long weekend (72 hours), Twice a year, April and October. More info here: https://www.fg-con.com/

DM|Mag
June 22nd, 2016, 18:24
Thanks for the info good Sirs! Seems my choice of username here makes it invalid on that site though, that | is problematic. Hrm, I know I'll be away for a wedding in November but assuming things go as planned that would be a good time to bust out a new game in October. I was thinking after the holidays but I could do a preview or something. Good to know.

Edit: If any of you folks know how to get that site to purge my business email [email protected] from its registry so I can register with an alternative username >.< (Derp on me earlier). Somehow it has a record of my email despite rejecting all attempts to register so far? I also attempted to email https://fg-con.com/ regarding this and got a rejected response from gmail.com just now. FYI regarding that, the contact email on that site fails.

damned
June 22nd, 2016, 23:06
DM|Mag please check your spam/junk folder

DM|Mag
June 22nd, 2016, 23:44
Hrm, no PM's on this site, and no spam or unread emails. I'll look again later tonight though, maybe it's on a significant delay.

Blackfoot
July 27th, 2016, 00:05
Have we locked in which weekend in Oct FG Con XI is going to take place yet?

Trenloe
July 29th, 2016, 19:11
Initial announcement for FG Con 9 here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33410-FG-Con-9-October-14th-16th-2016 More info to come soon...

DM|Mag
July 31st, 2016, 10:48
DM|Mag please check your spam/junk folder

Hrm, no PM's on this site, and no spam or unread emails. I'll look again later tonight though, maybe it's on a significant delay.

Just wanted to bump this, issue never handled. No clue what happened, and no rush, but better before FG Con 9 shows up and everyone is crazy busy handling that right?

Trenloe
July 31st, 2016, 20:38
Just wanted to bump this, issue never handled. No clue what happened, and no rush, but better before FG Con 9 shows up and everyone is crazy busy handling that right?
I don't see anything on the site regarding the email you listed.

Please try creating an account again, and if you still have issues please list the steps you are taking.

Thanks.

DM|Mag
July 31st, 2016, 21:38
Interesting, well, I never got the email I was waiting on last month but the new attempt was successful to login. Issue fixed it seems, whatever was in the way saying I had an unverified account and blocking my username/email is gone now. Thanks.