PDA

View Full Version : LFP - Pathfinder - Starting a Way of the Wicked Campaign

Kiqjaq
May 31st, 2016, 01:21
Game is full.

FG License: Full. Players need at least Lite.
Game System: Pathfinder

Time Zone: Central (GMT-6)
Day of week and time: Sunday at 2PM. Saturday at the same time would be fine though.
Planned start date: June 11, 2016
Planned Frequency: Weekly
Term: Super long. Level 1-20

Text or Voice: About 95% voice.
Voice software used: Skype
Number of Players in game & needed: We have 2, need 2 more.
Character starting level & equipment: Level 1. No equipment at all, you start in prison and must steal what you need! 2 traits, one as your "crime" trait from the player's guide, and one other trait. 25 point buy, and using the Background Skills variant (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/background-skills). Official Paizo content and content from the Fire Mountain Way of the Wicked books allowed (which means new spells (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/3rd-party-spells/fire-mountain-games), new feats (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/3rd-party-feats/fire-mountain-games), new archetypes (Monk (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/fire-mountain-games---monk-archetypes/hand-of-tyranny), Antipaladin (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/alternate-classes/antipaladin/archetypes/fire-mountain-games---antipaladin-archetypes/lord-of-darkness), Inquisitor (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor/archetypes/fire-mountain-games---inquisitor-archetypes/torture-master), Cleric (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/archetypes/fire-mountain-games---cleric-archetypes/unholy-barrister)), and options to become either a Lich (https://prntscr.com/baeocy) or a Vampire (https://prntscr.com/baepjg)). Anything else that might be weird, run by me.
Character restrictions: Lawful Evil or Neutral Evil only. Must worship Asmodeus if divine/deity-based, or at least accept him if not.

Link to Gamecalendar page: No thank you. Please speak to me if you want to play. I always forget to check the game calendar when I use it anyways.

Details of my scenario:
The Kingdom of Talingarde is perhaps the noblest, most virtuous and peaceful nation yet founded. The royalty of this dominion has rescued a dispirited people from the brink of despair and darkness. They dealt with their enemies honorably and their allies faithfully. Talingarde is a paragon of the age, a bright shining city upon a hill. Yet the nation faces now its greatest test. That test is you. It is the ambition of this campaign to do nothing less than destroy Talingarde utterly.

Why must this be done? Not for the sake of simple malice. This is a holy purpose! Once the people of Talingarde worshipped a great pantheon of deities deemed worthy of respect. That pantheon included Asmodeus, the Lord of Nessus, the devil god and master of hell. Asmodeus was not necessarily loved, but he was rightly feared and respected. The new royalty, the House of Darius, are devout worshippers of the sun god Mitra, arch-enemy of Asmodeus. They have elevated the Shining Lord to the head of the pantheon. Further, their regime has outlawed the worship of Asmodeus. No doubt eliminating the cults of the Prince of Devils has made Talingarde a better place.

Alas, they missed one.

Hi! I'll be running Way of the Wicked in a little over a week, starting from the very start. Way of the Wicked is a Lawful Evil campaign, so I should probably take a second to clarify what that means. I'm not normally demanding, but it feels like you'll be quite disappointed with this adventure if you bring a character that doesn't "fit". This is not the campaign for chaotic loners or freespirited vagabonds. You are followers of Asmodeus in a country run by Paladins so devout that they've outlawed your religion. You are ambitious, ruthless, and depraved, but you are not random. You seek to manipulate and use anyone around you that you can, and delight in plotting your evil plans. After all, you have an important goal to pursue: to burn Talingarde to the ground, and rebuild it as your own!
And you consider your fellow PCs to be your family. You sign a contract in blood saying that you may never betray them. Please bring a character that will be willing to do such a thing. It's the group of you (and your eventual minions, as any evil ruler needs) against the world.

13 Things That Everyone Knows About Talingarde (the setting of the AP) (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1daK73VEEGujLDLMB96emlOtN6Mvl1iSq30HyKXaAqH4/edit)
And go ahead and check out the player's guide, it talks about the kind of characters that will fit in and be fun. (www.firemountaingames.com/Players_Guide.pdf)

Details of me: I'm Max. I'm 24 and I've been playing RPGs for a couple years now, almost exclusively Pathfinder. My hobbies include sarcasm, RPGs/video games, and feigning human emotion. I just finished running a Legacy of Fire campaign and, after a couple weeks of break, am pretty psyched to jump into Way of the Wicked. It feels super creative and interesting. They really went all out making sure that it feels different from just a normal campaign with a different bestiary to fight. You'll be sabotaging castles, defending your own dungeon against parties of good "heroes", spreading plagues, performing vast rituals to summon otherworldly nightmares, and more!

I value some things in RPGs more than other things, and I'd be remiss in my duty to recruit to not explain my style. I value two things most highly in the game: story and gameplay. Story as in grand events and cool things to do and people to plot with (and/or subjugate since hey we're evil here). And cool, interesting characters that contribute to the story and action around them.
I also value the gameplay, the numbers and crunch, so the players in my groups tend to build fairly strongly. Please no stupid levels of cheese or anything antifun, but don't be afraid to optimize a little. But mostly I consider the absolute core of the gameplay to be making meaningful decisions, in combat and in RP and in any style of play. Time spent where you don't have much meaningful input will (hopefully) be rare. This is why I omitted the Roleplay/Combat Split question above; it's not my place to answer that. The PCs choose how to handle situations on their own.

To the end of meaningful decisions being the primary gameplay, I tend to handwave a lot of things that don't interest me, especially bookwork. I don't track XP, mundane ammo, rations, carry capacity (unless you're going nuts with it), etc. Don't sweat the small stuff and get to the fun and interesting parts.

As for the group as people, we're all mid 20s. We don't have a strong preference about who joins, but expect us to act like people in their mid 20s, for better or worse. Ho hum.

Blindmandefdog
May 31st, 2016, 02:48
I'm very interested, however I'm available Sunday's and earlier in the day Saturday's. I'm 27 easy going. I'm very flexible when it comes to class/race. I'm down for anything

gaara6666
May 31st, 2016, 22:44
Oh man if it was sunday 8pm us central or later I could ABSOLUTELY play. Unfortunately my saturday is booked. I got teased with a way of the wicked campaign but it fell through after 3 sessions. If t could be played sunday nights at 8pm us central you have a dedicated player with 23 years of tabletop experience, 7 years of pathfinder, and 9 years of fantasygrounds. 32 year old looking to get wicked and up to no good.

pnpoldschoolgamer
June 1st, 2016, 01:33
Hi,

I would be very interest in joining if this runs Sunday Evenings (8:00 pm central would be great!). I posted a bit ago looking for just this sort of game- I'm a reliable, experienced gamer but a bit new to FG, I have not yet played Pathfinder in FG but I'm really looking forward to doing so. Most of my gaming experience is with 3.5 though I've played a bit with Pathfinder as well. I have Hero Labs and I'm itching to test it out.

Thanks!

Mike

Kiqjaq
June 1st, 2016, 05:14
Mmmm at the moment, after talking to a couple people who messaged me first, and ironing some things out, it looks like we're headed for a 2PM game, which I think rules gaara and oldschool out? Sorry guys, scheduling is always the biggest bitch in this kind of thing. If you're cool with that time period I'm *technically* still looking for a fourth. I've already offered someone else who messaged me the slot, so I won't renege if he accepts, but if that fails I'll see whom I can slot in. I really wouldn't count on it though. Thanks for the interest guys. Recruiting is always super hard because there's never enough room.

gaara6666
June 1st, 2016, 06:36
no harm no foul. The stars just did not align.

KingofKlubs
June 1st, 2016, 16:35
Hey dude,
I would REALLY love to play this campaign again. And I mean REALLY REALLY love to. Is there any more room left?

Kiqjaq
June 1st, 2016, 18:03
Sorry, last person just confirmed, so the group is full.

Kiqjaq
June 17th, 2016, 15:32
Had some scheduling/contact issues with one of the joiners. Just not a good fit I suppose, which happens.
Nonetheless, I'm looking for one more person to join then.

Saturdays at 2PM (Central) is the normal time, although this weekend one of the players had something come up, so we're going to play this Sunday, 6/19, at 2PM instead. It'd be most excellent if whoever joined could join by then.

New character creation is level 2 with 200g worth of equipment. The rest of the details in the opening post are unchanged.
The party has escaped from prison and is about to arrive at the place where their benefactor, the otherworldly woman who helped them escape, told them to meet her. Branded with the mark of the forsaken, and known far and wide as horrid criminals, they really have no other choice. For simplicity's sake we'll say that you escaped from the prison with the party. You'll have only missed 1 session thus far, there's no need to come up with anything outlandish to slot you into the story.

The party thus far is an Antipaladin looking to become a Graveknight, a Battle Oracle looking to become a Vampire, and a Mesmerist with a focus on lies/disguise.
The one who is dropping was going to be the arcane caster, a Sorcerer looking to become a Lich. (yes it's a very pretty party, the average CHA is 18 hah) I'd imagine the party would like another arcane caster, but that's not my decision. The Antipaladin has said he's willing to swap roles.

Sharpevil
June 17th, 2016, 22:43
This game sounds like a great time. I've been looking for a game in which I could use a character concept I've been kicking around: A young, neutral-aligned summoner following the advice of their Devil eidolon, slowly drifting towards lawful evil in alignment as they accumulate damnation feats. (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/damnation-feats) (Edit: Admittedly, I realize this is slightly against the regulations from the first post, but it fits in just fine once you realize the LE eidolon is the one truly calling the shots)

That said, this sunday is father's day, which will most likely mean I can't participate for the entire session, if at all. The time and days are otherwise a non-issue.

Kiqjaq
June 20th, 2016, 01:30
Sharpevil hasn't gotten back to me yet, so I guess as of now I'm still looking for someone.

Sharpevil
June 20th, 2016, 01:36
EDIT: Though, thinking about it, I've actually gotten myself into another campaign since I put myself up as interested for this one. I should probably let someone else take the slot rather than risk getting burnt out and quitting one or more groups midway. Sorry for the slow response, I apparently didn't have it set up to email me on a private message.

Kiqjaq
June 20th, 2016, 01:47
Oh alright, no worries. Thanks for the heads up.

Kiqjaq
June 21st, 2016, 16:54
Bump? Still looking.
Seems weird that there was so much more interest a few weeks ago than now. Do people not check threads again after they seem established? Or have I been outed as the bastard I am?

gaara6666
June 21st, 2016, 20:34
If it was monday tuesday or thursday I would join. Sadly our times do not match up

pnpoldschoolgamer
June 21st, 2016, 23:16
I hear your frustration- I would love to join your game if only it was in the evenings in EST. If you happen to start a game later or change the time for this one please let me know.

Thanks,

Mike

Kiqjaq
July 8th, 2016, 03:16
Aaand it's opened back up. Had a fourth, and he was a fine enough player, but "something came up" and he had to drop out. Go figure.
Party is level 4 and just now infiltrating Balentyne. They have a month to sabotage the place in preparation for the bugbear army to assault from the north. Looking for someone who can play at 2PM (central) on the weekend. We play on Sunday at the moment, but Saturday would be fine.

Vhok
July 8th, 2016, 04:15
interested I can play sundays. sent a pm

Hierophantasm
August 28th, 2016, 23:36
Still looking for players? I am interested.