PDA

View Full Version : License question

chrismartel0817
May 30th, 2016, 22:43
I have searched around and have not been able to find a clear up to date answer on this.

I am using FG with a standard license and playing 5e. I want to buy a bunch of modules but I don't intend to DM. Can I create a group as a player and have another member of the group be the dm?

JohnD
May 30th, 2016, 23:57
No.

Moon Wizard
May 31st, 2016, 00:13
The GM must own any module that they will be using or sharing with players.

Players can still use modules they own separately, if the GM allows but they can't share them.

Regards,
JPG

chrismartel0817
May 31st, 2016, 02:09
Ah got it thanks. That's a little disappointing. In real life you would bring your book to your friends house and let them use it. Perhaps there's a way to support this in future. I can envision a scenario where a player in the group is willing to buy everything but doesn't want to dm.

JohnD
May 31st, 2016, 02:20
You can gift your DM a gift certificate for FG. He could then use that to buy the modules.

chrismartel0817
May 31st, 2016, 02:23
Yeah that makes sense. I guess it just seems silly to me that only the dm can share content.

JohnD
May 31st, 2016, 03:01
Well, with the 5e stuff it isn't all that uncommon for players to help fund their DM given the cots.

chrismartel0817
May 31st, 2016, 03:08
Yeah. I know I seem full of objections. That scenario works well with close friends I think but if you're not all that acquainted with your group I could see wanting to own what you paid for if the group splits.

In the few days I have been using FG I think it's awesome. (I'm coming over from roll20). I think there is a sense though that the barrier to entry is really high. The way licenses work isn't totally logical to me either. I wonder if sales would grow if the perception of value was different.

JohnD
May 31st, 2016, 03:24
No idea. 4+ years ago I saw the value in an Ultimate license and I've never regretted it in a significant manner or thought that FG wasn't well worth my investment. I've made a large number of purchases and I'm still under $0.19/hour for my participation costs.

damned
May 31st, 2016, 05:51
Hey chrismartel0817 your view point is valid and its not the first time its been raised. At the end of the day the FG team have done some licensing deals with the Wizards and some other publishers and thats the current setup. It may change in the future but it is probably not likely too. The good thing for 5e is that all licenses do get the 5e SRD and 5e Basic Rules for free and they include a lot of content. Your GM doesnt need to buy anything else straight away. There are a bunch of threads about what people view as the best bang for buck purchases for FG and 5e and they are worth a read.
The cost for FG is higher up front than Roll20 but over time I dont see any real difference in pricing. The free tiers in Roll20 are ultimately subsidised by the paying players and would disappear if the subscribers did too.
I know its not the answer you are after but it is an answer! :)