PDA

View Full Version : Needs for DMing a game

eavawter
May 28th, 2016, 07:11
I've had an ultimate license for a long time but never been able to use it because I can't talk my frineds into using FG. I want to start a game, but I'm not sure what I need. Here's where I'm confused. I got an ultimate license but I also need the game packs. I want to DM a 3.5 game, so I need to spend more money to get the DM guide, Core Class pack and Core Monster Pack. I know I can probably play without these, especially 3.5, but what are the advantages of buying these packs. I have all the 3.5 books in print and pdf, are these sets really necessary? Just asking.

damned
May 28th, 2016, 09:40
Hey eavawter! Welcome back.
Keep playing with your friends however you are now and make some new friends on FG. Win-Win-Win.
There is no commercial content available for 3.5e. There is a basic Monsters, Spells, Equipment included in your license already - you should be able to activate those modules from within a 3.5e campaign.
If you are sold on 3.5e you may also look at Pathfinder as there is way more content available for that (also SRD/PRD content and available for free) and a bigger active player base.

Otherwise 5e includes both the Basic Rules and the SRD rules (they are already in your client if you have updated it at all in the last 6months). These are ample to get you started with 5e.

In saying all that the Commercial Content is generally very good and really saves you time in preparation. But a lack of the commercial content should not stop you being able to get a game up and running.