PDA

View Full Version : LFP - Out of the Abyss Theater of the Mind

doseyclwn
May 28th, 2016, 06:51
FG License: Ultimate
Game System: D&D 5E

Time Zone: EST, GMT - 4
Day of week and time: Friday Night or Sunday Night, probably late with a start time between 8 and 10pm
planned start date: Probably within 2 weeks
Planned Frequency: Bi-Weekly
Term: Till we're done

Text or Voice: Voice only
Voice software used: Teamspeak

Roleplay & Combat mix: fair
Number of Players in game & needed: I want to run with 5 players
Character starting level & equipment: 1st Level
Character restrictions: PHB races and classes only (no dragonborn or tiefling)

Game Thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=2004
Details of your scenario:
Out of the Abyss . . .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k26idR0QYAY

I'm an old school kinda guy. This is going to be a Theater of the Mind game, which means that I'm not going to use battlemaps or tokens. I've been itching to run this for a bit, so I'm eager. I try not to have a lot of rules. I have the no dragonborn or tiefling rule because I think they made a mistake when they made those player-allowable races. I understand some folks feel differently, and there's nothing wrong with that, but if that's how you feel, you may want to join another game. I would prefer not to deal with any rules lawyers or min/maxers. I want to have some good old-fashioned D&D fun, and I think we can do that. Character attributes will be 4d6 drop the lowest. I look forward to running this game, and I hope you look forward to playing in it.

EbolaFever
May 28th, 2016, 08:48
Greetings,
I am a novice player that is both new to FG and D&D. I have been listening to D&D podcasts (so I believe I'll be okay using my mind and not being dependent on visuals) as well as watching FG videos and gameplay to get oriented with the VTT system. I would be interested joining your party if you are still recruiting.

chrismartel0817
May 28th, 2016, 19:39
This looks great! I just applied but want to share some info here. I have been playing since 2e and now have been playing 5e for almost 18 months. I have been in a number of roll20 games that fizzle out after a handful of sessions and looking for something long term.

doseyclwn
May 30th, 2016, 07:13
Guys, one thing I realized while I was messing around with the module this weekend is that I am in no way near to being able to run this adventure the way i want to. I will put it back up when I am ready. I thank you all for applying, but I have too much respect for this game and the people that play it to run right now. Please keep an eye out for me in the future.

damned
May 30th, 2016, 13:18
Heya doseyclwn have a read of a few other OoTA threads by GMs discussing the pros and cons of the adventure and how they ran it.
For your theatre of the mind you should absolutely still use the combat tracker at the very least - this is Fantasy Grounds most powerful feature. Maps are not essential if you describe things well and the players interact with your descriptions well enough.
But also - dont feel that you need to be 100% ready for everything before you start. FG and GMing both require practice and usually lots of mistakes to get better at both.