PDA

View Full Version : License, source control and extension release

Tideturner
May 27th, 2016, 21:16
Hi,

I'm making an extension that adds a function to CoreRPG/scripts/manager_combat.lua by making a copy of that file and adding my code to the bottom of that copy.

What is the policy for adding that to a public source control repository? Github in this case.

And can I in general distribute that copy of the file with my extension? Do I need to add a Smiteworks license? If so, where would I find that?

Thanks,
Tideturner

Zacchaeus
May 27th, 2016, 21:49
This post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20449-Tutorial-Creating-a-Basic-Extension) might help you with some of your queries.

Tideturner
May 27th, 2016, 22:02
Haha, don't I felt like an idiot right now :D I searched and looked in the code and downloaded a few extensions. Forgot to look at the STICKY IN THIS FORUM!

I'll read through it. Skimming it though, I'm still uncertain if I can include the copied file, what that would require of me and such.
I'm a complete open jaw, blank eyes and hey is that a squirrel kind of guy when it comes to rights and license.

Still, thanks Zacchaeus :)

damned
May 28th, 2016, 01:31
Try and use the merge commands (if possible) so that your code only adds extra and doesnt replace the whole file. Always include as little of the original code in the extension - not for copyright reasons - but to reduce the potential for conflict with other extensions and changes to the source file in new updates.
Sometimes you cant and you have to use the whole lot. A lot of extensions and rulesets refer to SmiteWorks copyrights but not to specific portions of code that are used/reused/modified.

Tideturner
May 28th, 2016, 18:08
Not really sure what the merge commands are, I'll look into that.

But I realized that I didn't need the CoreRPG dependency, since I made the extension 5E only. I can then directly call the function I wanted (addNPC) instead of making a function chain.

I have no intention of copyrighting any of my stuff. And now that I do not include copied FG stuff, I'll download some other extensions to see how they've done the licence thing :)

damned
May 29th, 2016, 00:58
Have a look at the HeroPoints extension for a really simple merge command that would work for you but Im not sure you need it now.

Trenloe
May 29th, 2016, 04:36
And can I in general distribute that copy of the file with my extension? Do I need to add a Smiteworks license? If so, where would I find that?
In general you can re-use portions of a ruleset code within your extension, as long as it is building on top of that code and doesn't make the base ruleset obsolete. For example, you can't take the whole of the Savage Worlds commercial ruleset, modify it a bit and release the whole modified ruleset which would mean users could get a version of the Savage Worlds ruleset for free. However, Smiteworks are fine with you using ruleset code in an extension that builds on top of an existing ruleset. When I write extensions, I include a "Copyright Smiteworks 201X" statement in the message that is displayed in the chat window when the extension loads. That's really about it.

For example: