PDA

View Full Version : Learning to DM . . .

doseyclwn
May 27th, 2016, 16:17
I was wondering what y'all thought was a good video/tutorial/thing that would help a newcomer to FG to learn to DM a game?

GarthGiantbane
May 27th, 2016, 16:32
Hi,

Welcome to the Fantasy Grounds boards!

There are a ton of youtube videos available that provide instruction on the working of Fantasy Grounds (FG). The authors of those will probably reply soon (if they haven't already). The wiki has both text instruction and linked videos for using FG. I would start with most of those and then set up the demo version. Run a second copy as a local host (all explained in videos and wiki) to see how the DM & player interact.

If you are interested "Being a DM" then I would recommend Youtube videos by Matthew Colville - his insights and explanations are wonderful! His series isn't finished but each has great information on real world (game time speaking) experiences.

Cheers!

Nylanfs
May 27th, 2016, 17:30
Yes, welcome! And more info is required, are you new to FG but have DM'd before, or new to being a DM altogether, or new to TTRPG's altogether?

doseyclwn
May 27th, 2016, 17:37
I am fairly new to FG (been playing for maybe 6 to 8 weeks), been playing D&D since 1982, been dming since 1983.

tadkil
May 27th, 2016, 18:18
Single best thing you can do is make a party, open up a player instance of FG, and then run yourself through a night's worth of adventure. It gives you an excellent sense of the player experience and how your behavior shapes their experience.

Doug's videos are the highest utility for me and they've been of the greatest practical use. I've watched several of the live streams and archival videos also. Their value tests in showing you plays style and how other groups use and value the interface.

I was a theatre major in college and I am a sales and marketing executive. I am on the low end of the power curve compared to other members of this forum. I can make FG sing after about 20 sessions worth of play. Just stay in the tool and keep using it. It's worth it.

dulux-oz
May 28th, 2016, 03:12
As one of those Tutorial Video Produces, if you haven't done so already, let me encourage you to take a look at some of the great Tutorial Videos available on the Fantasy Grounds Wiki (and on YouTube). Damn's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below).

Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG forms the foundation of just about all the RPGs we play with Fantasy Grounds - so by learning how to use FG with the CoreRPG you'll learn about 80% of what you'll need to know to play any RPG with Fantasy Grounds. Once you've gone through the CoreRPG Videos you can then go on to Videos about your chosen RPG.

When you get familiar with the basic Fantasy Grounds product the next step is to check out some of the Extensions (Plug-Ins) for FG, such as the DOE Sound, Locations, Weather and Organisations Extensions (to name a but a few).

And keep on asking questions - we're a pretty friendly lot here, and we love answering questions.

Cheers

Cosmo
May 28th, 2016, 05:15
While it can be hard to find a DM who runs a one shot or such, try to find one. Learn from the players point of view and then try to run a game after that.