PDA

View Full Version : Changing Proficiency Bonus not possible?

rob2e
May 27th, 2016, 06:38
I tried CTRL scrolling and typing and any number of things to look how to change a PC's Proficiency Bonus... Not possible? Would like to have a ZERO level character with a +1 Proficiency only.

What can I do except have everyone put in a -1 modifier every time they roll anything. I suppose I could automate it with a crazy:

ATK: -1; CHECK: -1; SAVE: -1;

I think I just answered my own question, but is there an EASIER way?

Moon Wizard
May 27th, 2016, 07:56
Yeah, the proficiency bonus can not be overriden on the 5E character sheet, so your best option right now is to use an effect like you mentioned.

Regards,
JPG

rob2e
May 27th, 2016, 08:50
OK, thanX!

LongShot
September 19th, 2017, 02:06
Are their any plans to add the ability to change the proficiency bonuses? For example, to allow for custom classes with a custom proficiency bonus scheme?

Moon Wizard
September 19th, 2017, 02:10
Given that there are not any official rules I'm aware of that modify the proficiency bonus, it's not something that we would build into the 5E ruleset.

If someone wanted to build this capability, it would need to be done with an extension which would modify the ruleset to allow those changes. The changes you're suggesting (per class override) would work differently than original poster's request.

Cheers,
JPG

JohnD
September 19th, 2017, 02:40
Isn't there an optional rule in the DMG?

LongShot
September 19th, 2017, 02:51
Moon Wizard: Thanks for the reply.

JohnD: Yes. There are optional rules in the DMG. Not specifically what I am looking for, but there are options listed there.

Zacchaeus
September 19th, 2017, 09:52
You can manipulate proficiency bonuses in some respects by using Effects. For example ATT: [-PRF] will remove the proficiency bonus of a PC when they attack; similarly SAVE: [-PRF] will remove it from saving throws. If you want more then just add a permanent effect to the PC; CHECK: 1 effectively gives the player a +1 bonus to any checks.

LongShot
September 21st, 2017, 00:57
You can manipulate proficiency bonuses in some respects by using Effects. For example ATT: [-PRF] will remove the proficiency bonus of a PC when they attack; similarly SAVE: [-PRF] will remove it from saving throws. If you want more then just add a permanent effect to the PC; CHECK: 1 effectively gives the player a +1 bonus to any checks.

Thanks Zacchaeus. I will play around with that this weekend! If I can’t figure out how to apply the effect, I might post here again for help.

rob2e
September 21st, 2017, 01:02
When I wrote Unkown Whom, I needed PCs to have a proficiency of 1, so I created this effect. You can manipulate it to create any proficiency changes.

Proficiency 1; ATK: -1; CHECK: -1; SAVE: -1

LongShot
September 21st, 2017, 01:43
When I wrote Unkown Whom, I needed PCs to have a proficiency of 1, so I created this effect. You can manipulate it to create any proficiency changes.

Thanks rob2e!

spite
September 21st, 2017, 06:42

Wouldn't that unfairly reduce checks and saves that the player doesn't have proficiency in?

crankdawg47
June 11th, 2018, 01:42
Wouldn't that unfairly reduce checks and saves that the player doesn't have proficiency in?

Correct. If you really want to do this you'd have to specify each save and skill the character is proficient in, in order to not give a penalty to saves/skills that the character does not have proficiency

crankdawg47
June 11th, 2018, 01:46
This would work a lot better if we could modify proficiency like we can with AC. In fact, there are a lot of monsters that temporarily reduce a characters base attributes so it would be nice to have an effect like

prof: -1

Or

STR: -1

Trenloe
June 11th, 2018, 02:26
This would work a lot better if we could modify proficiency like we can with AC. In fact, there are a lot of monsters that temporarily reduce a characters base attributes so it would be nice to have an effect like

prof: -1

Or

STR: -1
Attribute effects have been there since day 1. See the "Abilities" section of the "Modifiers" table here: http://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#Modifiers STR: -1 is exactly what you'd use.

crankdawg47
June 11th, 2018, 06:06
Attribute effects have been there since day 1. See the "Abilities" section of the "Modifiers" table here: http://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#Modifiers STR: -1 is exactly what you'd use.

Cool thanks for pointing that one out. But that illustrates my point.

We can alter and tweak so much under the hood that the omission of the ability to tweak proficiency is pretty glaring. I'm running a 5e campaign using rules to extend play past lv20 but the proficiency is hard coded to increase by 1 every 5 levels even though I don't want it to go up past +6.

Not trying to be a **** about it. Just trying to voice a request for me and others like me who want to use material that isn't exactly official.

Trenloe
June 11th, 2018, 06:27
Cool thanks for pointing that one out. But that illustrates my point.

We can alter and tweak so much under the hood that the omission of the ability to tweak proficiency is pretty glaring. I'm running a 5e campaign using rules to extend play past lv20 but the proficiency is hard coded to increase by 1 every 5 levels even though I don't want it to go up past +6.

Not trying to be a **** about it. Just trying to voice a request for me and others like me who want to use material that isn't exactly official.
I was purely letting you know that your request for attribute modifiers was present in the system and had been for a while.

Otherwise, for proficiency, I suggest you add your request to the FG wishlist here: http://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

damned
June 11th, 2018, 06:27
Everything is possible crankdawg47 but it all requires coding and there is a finite limit on the resources available.
The team have to prioritise what they can and what they do implement.
Add your request to the Wishlist so that the devs can see it and others can vote on it.
http://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

crankdawg47
June 11th, 2018, 06:42
Everything is possible crankdawg47 but it all requires coding and there is a finite limit on the resources available.
The team have to prioritise what they can and what they do implement.
Add your request to the Wishlist so that the devs can see it and others can vote on it.
http://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Totally get that. Thanks. It can be hard to guage tone via text. Just wanted to clarify that I'm not trying to come off as until apreciative.

Zacchaeus
June 11th, 2018, 09:58
You probably should watch video 8 in this series (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41478-Effects-Videos-for-5E) which shows you exactly how to use effects to alter proficiency bonuses

epithet
June 12th, 2018, 01:05
Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just not set those weapons, skills, and saves as proficient and to add a miscellaneous +1 bonus instead? Actually, with a "level 0" character you would only have the proficiencies from your background anyway.

Zacchaeus
June 12th, 2018, 01:13
That could work. I can’t remember off hand but for weapons if you remove proficiency you might roll at disadvantage.

epithet
June 12th, 2018, 01:16
Shouldn't, that's not the rule in 5e.

Proficiency with a weapon allows you to add yourproficiency bonus to the attack roll for any attack you
make with that weapon. If you make an attack roll using
a weapon with which you lack proficiency, you do not add
your proficiency bonus to the attack roll.