PDA

View Full Version : Web Links Inside FG

Koreapsu
May 26th, 2016, 08:31
Is there a way for me (as a DM) to open a web link from inside FG that doesn't involve putting the link into open chat for all the players to see? I'd like to link some story entries to online generators.

I've tried whispering it to a DMPC but the link isn't clickable.

Is there a way to do this I'm missing?

dulux-oz
May 26th, 2016, 09:02
There is - but it needs some code. I'm working on an Extension which will allow this to be done very easily (similar to the DOE Sound Extension), and I'm only a day or two away from releasing it - so stay tuned! :)

Cheers

Zacchaeus
May 26th, 2016, 09:10
I think that you have to create the link in the xml code. I've never found a way to do it from within FG but I am sure that I have seen external links in story entries somewhere. However this could be because I am old and don't have all of my faculties intact and am therefore imagining the whole thing :)

Koreapsu
May 26th, 2016, 10:15
There is - but it needs some code. I'm working on an Extension which will allow this to be done very easily (similar to the DOE Sound Extension), and I'm only a day or two away from releasing it - so stay tuned! :)

Cheers
Funnily enough it was using DOE extensions that prompted this question! I wanted to enter a Web link into a location entry to go along with a sound link

You cannot release this soon enough IMO.

damned
May 26th, 2016, 10:27
I can share links to players via whispers...

Koreapsu
May 26th, 2016, 10:38
It's weird.

I tested it by logging on a player instance of FG via local host, then whispered the link from my DM instance. It appears as a link (blue, underlined etc), but it isn't clickable. On the GM instance and the Player instance both the links are clickable if put in open chat, but in the whisper neither instance is a clickable link. That's how it's happening for me at least.

Looking forward to the incoming ext from Dulux to fix all of this anyway :)

Koreapsu
May 26th, 2016, 10:58
Y'know if you could have some kind of browser window open inside FG that would be quite useful too...

I use 3 monitors to DM and having that link sit in front, inside FG would be good.

damned
May 26th, 2016, 13:21
it appears for the links the pointy bit of the pointer is actually somewhere closer to the level of the thumb tip rather than the finger tip
for links in chat the whole frame (chat bubble) is clickable) but for whispers only the test is - but you need to click with the middle bit of the hand...

Koreapsu
May 27th, 2016, 00:56
Oh weird. Cheers for that (I thought you were taking the piss for most of that comment!)

damned
May 27th, 2016, 01:26
Oh weird. Cheers for that (I thought you were taking the piss for most of that comment!)

Who me?
Maybe once in a while... :)

dulux-oz
May 27th, 2016, 02:44
Who me?
Maybe once in a while... :)

ONCE in a while!?! :p

Koreapsu
May 27th, 2016, 05:41
Now surely you've finished that extension so I can use it in my game tonight...right?

Or maybe you just need a tester...

dulux-oz
May 27th, 2016, 06:29
Now surely you've finished that extension so I can use it in my game tonight...right?

Or maybe you just need a tester...

Waiting on some Graphics - the guys will get them to me Soon(TM), but I don't think they'll be ready for tonight - sorry :)

Koreapsu
May 27th, 2016, 07:49
Well bugger.

Can't wait to try it out.

Koreapsu
May 29th, 2016, 00:24
Cmon artists!

Koreapsu
June 5th, 2016, 07:54
Any progress on this?

dulux-oz
June 5th, 2016, 07:58
It's comming - you'll just have to be patient (unless you'd care to pay me the equivalent of my salary so I can take time of work to get it done :) )

Koreapsu
July 9th, 2016, 01:23
How's things going? Any news on this?

El Condoro
July 9th, 2016, 09:57
Not sure if this is what you want but here goes...

Tested on a GM session, a PC localhost session and a clean PC (same network) session.

Create a story entry with the link - set it to be a chat text type
Drag the chat link onto a PC icon
The PC gets the link, which is clickable and opens the correct link
The DM sees the link
The other player does not see the link.

Hope this helps.

Text can be placed in the chat text, too.

Koreapsu
July 10th, 2016, 05:41
Hmm it looks like this is the only solution for now. I was hoping to have weblinks inside a story entry that I as the the DM could open to online resources. Having to whisper it to a dummy player then click that link is clumsy, but the only way it'll work for now it seems.

I want to use to for things like the following.

Generic places like taverns using the locations ext. Inside the story entry I'd have a link to https://donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/inn/ which would open a new tavern each time on another screen.

I guess something that could work once everything was entered is a modification of the Tarroka reading tables in CoS that output to a story entry. Something like that that could create random taverns/inns/smiths/general stores complete with inventories, unique npcs, random features would be great. Until then - donjon it is!

damned
July 10th, 2016, 08:39
Hi Koreapsu you might notice the (fairly) new ? buttons on many dialogues that open to the Wiki and many Rulesets and Extensions also have links in their announcements so the ability is there. I just cant find out how to include it in a format as you want it just yet...

Koreapsu
July 10th, 2016, 10:41
Yeah I had seen that. Being totally unskilled as I am with matters like that I have to just wait for someone else to do it!

The key for me I guess is that it's visible only to me, and no players.

dulux-oz
July 10th, 2016, 12:24
As I said: It's coming - doing the FGv3.2 conversions are taking up practically all my time at the moment - it'll be ready when its ready, simple as that :)

Edit: Hey, my 2K post - who'd a thunk it! :p

Koreapsu
July 11th, 2016, 08:31
It's over a month since the last time I asked for an update, that's pretty reasonable I reckon for something that was

only a day or two away from releasing

It's easier to post here once a month to see if anything has been done rather than look through every forum post.

dulux-oz
July 12th, 2016, 05:12
Yeap - it was only a day or two away from releasing - and then SmiteWorks release v3.2 into the test channel, which means that I had to rewrite a damn good lot of the code (and am still doing so).

I know people are waiting for things (this Extension and others) and I try to get things out as quickly as I can - but this is a hobby for me as well, not my full-time work, so it needs to fit in around work, life, family, recreation, etc :)

And with v3.2 coming out soon this Extension (and new versions of my existing DOEs) won't be released until then - because pre-v3.2 and post-v3.2 don't work well together.

Koreapsu
July 16th, 2016, 23:50
Something that has always served me well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9SVhg6ZENw

damned
July 17th, 2016, 01:34
3.2.0 might be held up till post GenCon now as there are some UI challenges that Moon Wizard is still confirming his approach on...
I agree though - I have a largish update to MoreCore - its becoming a ruleset rather than an extension and has some nice new drag and drop support for extended rolls - but its going to wait for 3.2.0 - Im not pushing it twice with all the work required for the new CoreRPG version.

Slalom
July 18th, 2016, 13:00
Is there any video tutorial, because this is hard to set it up (atleast for me it is). :)

dulux-oz
July 18th, 2016, 13:32
Is there any video tutorial, because this is hard to set it up (atleast for me it is). :)

No not to me knowledge - but the Extension I'm working on to do this is now complete and will be released as soon as FGv3.2 is released (it uses some of the new functionality in FGv3.2), and is very easy to setup and use - so have if you want to wait till then...