PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes tokens don't "actually" move on the gm view and I don't know why.

villadelfia
May 25th, 2016, 18:50
So, while experimenting today, I found out that sometimes when the player moves his token, and I approve the movement, the green background stays in the original space, and a semi-transparent clone is left behind in the original spot.

It seems like this randomly happens, and I have no idea what triggers this, and what the purpose is.

EDIT: The gm can also trigger it.

This is what it looks like on the gm side if a player triggers it: https://gfycat.com/ThosePepperyDiscus
And this is when the gm triggers it: https://gfycat.com/KaleidoscopicNextBass

If you were wondering, all tokens have been dragged in from the turn tracker, and it's the tiefling's turn.

Zacchaeus
May 25th, 2016, 20:03
For what ruleset is this?

villadelfia
May 25th, 2016, 20:17
5e.

Zacchaeus
May 25th, 2016, 20:28
I can't reproduce this; so what tokens are you using? Have you tried a different token set? Have you got any extensions loaded if so can you reproduce on a clean campaign with no extensions? What backgrounds are you using? What maps? Does it happen on any map or just specific ones?

I don't think it's a general problem; at least I haven't seen it reported before.

villadelfia
May 25th, 2016, 20:52
It has been reported once before at least: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25321-multiple-token-selection-and-quot-ghost-images-quot

Trying on a clean 5e campaign with one single map, no extensions, and 5 player tokens. Will edit with results.

EDIT: I can make it happen on a clean campaign with no extensions or modules loaded (gm side): https://gfycat.com/DisloyalRelievedElver

The most reliable way for me to get it to happen is to select all tokens on the gm side, move some tokens on the player side, then move the group on the gm side, now when I move tokens on the player side, sometimes they "ghost" on the gm side.

The other way around works as well, the only requirement seems to be that at some point, you have to have multiple tokens selected on either side. If you restrict yourself to single selections, it doesn't happen.

Zacchaeus
May 25th, 2016, 21:43
Hmm, so I see. I couldn't reproduce it then and still can't. It seems like it is pretty specific to group movement but I've never seen it. I wonder if it is related to specific graphics cards or something like that. It is a rather mysterious one.

damned
May 25th, 2016, 23:53
If you as teh GM are moving/controlling tokens that the players are trying to move/control you are probably confusing FG and issuing counter moves.

LordEntrails
May 26th, 2016, 02:15
I've seen similar ghost type issues in other programs (not FG) and usually they are attributed to graphic cards. It's an easy out, but its also often correct.

But, first thing I wonder in this case is does it ghost on multiple computers? i.e. both GM and player computers (not just a localhost instance on the gm computer)? If so, then it is very unlikely, IMO, that it is graphics card/driver related.

If it is only happening on one computer, then I would investigate the graphics card. Updating the driver, changing setting etc.

Moon Wizard
May 27th, 2016, 06:50
I've seen this before, but haven't really tracked it down; since it happens rarely (so it's hard to recreate and debug) and goes away after closing/reopening map.

Regards,
JPG

JohnD
May 27th, 2016, 20:27
Have seen in a biiig map.

villadelfia
May 27th, 2016, 22:04
[...]goes away after closing/reopening map.[...]

For the record, it does not. I need to restart FG on the side that sees wrong locations. I can also drag and drop the token on the client side to fix the location, unfortunately this is not an acceptable solution as I play with locked tokens and thus my players cannot do this.

damned
May 28th, 2016, 01:52
Why are you (GM) selecting all the tokens? I winder if your selecting of all the tokens is causing the issue for the players in this case?

villadelfia
May 28th, 2016, 01:58
I do not see why it matters why I would do such a thing. The use case is not too far fetched, and since I can do it, it should work.

Anyway, I've done some digging in a debugger, I think I might know what's going on. Is there a way that I can get in contact with the developers via e-mail? I also found a bug regarding the handling of content.dat, and I suspect you'd rather I don't report that one on the forums.

damned
May 28th, 2016, 02:07
The reason I ask is that it looks like in your video that you have selected the tokens and you move them. The player selects a token and moves it and it moves back. Its possible FG still thinks you are moving the tokens and your the boss so it moves them back.

[email protected] is the email address

Nyghtmare
May 28th, 2016, 16:51
For the record, I saw this ghosting effect happen twice in my campaign when we last played a couple of weekends ago.

I am playing 5e.

Just wanted to throw my hat into that ring. ;)

Moon Wizard
May 28th, 2016, 18:26
Yes, you can reach the developers at [email protected]

Cheers,
JPG