PDA

View Full Version : Using maps: How to deal with hidden doors?

Magnimost
May 24th, 2016, 02:10
As a GM, how do you deal with presenting hidden doors on maps?

When you enter a room with a hidden door and the room is unmasked, it will be obvious if it's marked on the map. Even if the characters can't find it, the players will start blowing up walls when they see that there's a hidden door.

This is a problem when using ready-made maps. I could make two versions of the map, one with and one without the hidden door, but it's cumbersome. Masking the new map again in similar fashion as the previous one can also be an issue on complex maps.

LordEntrails
May 24th, 2016, 02:27
Beat the players thoroughly for metagaming. The first time is to ask them not to. The second step is to ignore their tries. The third step is let them blow up the wall and to have an arch demon waiting on the other side.

When I create a module, I don't put secret doors on the player map. I think that's pretty standard for most people. But, if you are using a pdf or something else you might not have that option.

Trenloe
May 24th, 2016, 02:32
I'll have a player map and a GM map. The GM map can be much smaller - it's just for reference. But I'll remove any stuff the players shouldn't know about from the players map. Then I'll use a pushpin link on the player map as an additional reminder that there's something there.

Trenloe
May 24th, 2016, 02:38
Here's an example, GM map on the left, player map on the right - both with a GM link describing the trapdoor.

damned
May 24th, 2016, 04:31
Use the Cloning tool in GiMP or Photoshop to neatly remove from any pre-made maps.
I only use a players map these days and I leave off things like secret doors.
And punishing players for cheating is perfectly acceptable.

DMZeff
May 24th, 2016, 05:58
copy a floor tile and paste over the text in mspaint. Ezpz

Magnimost
May 24th, 2016, 08:51
Use the Cloning tool in GiMP or Photoshop to neatly remove from any pre-made maps.
I only use a players map these days and I leave off things like secret doors.

Yes, think this is the best way, if a bit cumbersome.

grimm182
May 25th, 2016, 17:49
A bit more work, but i create a cover token and place it over the hidden part of the map, then delete it if they find/open it.

darrenan
May 25th, 2016, 19:04
I remove secret doors from maps I'm using, replacing them with a pushpin link. I used to have a transparent "S" token I could make visible once the door was discovered, but the ability to share pushpins now makes that obsolete.