PDA

View Full Version : Localhost connection no longer working

Aldente
May 24th, 2016, 01:17
I use FG to DM an in-person game with one remote player. I used to load a second instance on my laptop via localhost to project the combat tracker and images to the in-person players. Several weeks ago, this stopped working. At first, I thought it was something about my friend's network because he was hosting that day, but it's not working on my home network anymore either. I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. I can't think of any particular change on the laptop. Any advice?

Thanks!

LordEntrails
May 24th, 2016, 02:14
Huh, you're trying to use localhost on a second instance of FG on the same computer as the GM? Never heard of that not working. Can the second instance connect using the local IP?

Other than trying to use localhost from a different computer or a misspelling, I'm clueless. (I don't even think messing with the hosts file could do this if you tried.) One of the other guys will come along shortly who knows more about this.

Trenloe
May 24th, 2016, 02:25
localhost will only work on the same computer as the GM PC. "localhost" is a networking name used to connect to the same computer - i.e. connect to the host on the local computer. It doesn't matter which network you're running on, this should always be the same and will only work on the local computer - you can't connect to a different computer using localhost.

The most likely reason for this not working is that local security/anti-virus software is not working. Or, for some very, very strange reason localhost is not resolving to the correct IP address of 127.0.0.1. To quickly check this, try joining game with your second instance on the same computer using server address of 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost.

If this doesn't work, then you'll need to check security/AV systems on your PC - Windows firewall or similar might be blocking. The best quick test is to disable all AV/security apps briefly, then startup your GM and then player instanced of FG and try to connect.

Aldente
May 24th, 2016, 03:21
Thanks. I can't log in using 127.0.0.1 either, so it's probably a security app. I guess I have some investigation ahead of me. :-)