PDA

View Full Version : Bug reports? Map images and CPU usage

lesliev
May 23rd, 2016, 12:14
I'm not sure where to post bug reports. I am using Fantasy Grounds on Linux. For the most part it works great and these are not deal killers but they are quite annoying at times.

1. Maps don't stay in their frames. I've tried with a few versions of Wine. Is everyone else seeing this? When I show a map and then zoom in, it goes beyond the borders. I'll attach an image below.

2. The CPU usage is huge, even when just showing the launcher. My laptop gets really hot and the fans run at max. Does that also happen on Windows?

It would be great if someone could look at these issues.

LordEntrails
May 23rd, 2016, 18:31
Can't help you with #1, though someone else will be along shortly who can.

As for #2, the first thing I would check is if you have loaded a bunch of custom tokens? That's the usual culprit on all O/Ss. Other things to try is to create a new campaign with no extensions, see if you still have the issue.

lesliev
May 23rd, 2016, 22:45
The launcher still sits at around 60% CPU continually, which I think is very high for essentially a menu system. Opening a FG session, with or without extensions, has the CPU hovering around 30% while "idle". As soon as I open windows (such as maps, NPC's etc.), CPU usage jumps up to 50% - even if there's nothing in those windows.

If there is something in those windows, it's about an extra 10% CPU per window. So opening Story and Images gets me to 70%. Open NPC's and I'm at 80%. Open Items too and I'm at around 85% all the time. I wonder if this has something to do with polling for drag and drop - though this happens whether or not I'm dragging anything.

As a comparison, Chrome is sitting at 10-20% on this system and I currently have 55 tabs open. The problem is really the *idle* CPU usage - FG seems to consume a lot of resources when nothing is happening.

Trenloe
May 24th, 2016, 01:17
Open the FG settings window from the main FG launch screen and make sure you have "Cross-platform compatibility mode for Linux and Mac" selected.

Moon Wizard
May 24th, 2016, 03:23
It's going to be high, because of the way that FG handles drawing, which is the same for both the launcher and every game system. I would expect them to be similar at idle.

Regards,
JPG

lesliev
May 24th, 2016, 03:52
Oh wow, "Cross-platform compatibility mode for Linux and Mac" has always been selected - when I turn it off CPU usage goes down to 1%, no matter how many windows I open.
The launcher is down at under 1%.

For reference this is on Wine 1.6.2, Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS (Trusty) and I am using Gnome 3, not Unity.

What does compatibility mode do?

lesliev
May 24th, 2016, 04:03
If the map problem is a Wine problem, I'd be happy with a setting that disables zooming and resizing of image windows, so that they are always at 100%. Right now if I right-click on an image, resize-> original-size and then don't mess with zooming, everything looks good and works well. I can keep all my images at around 800x600 and pre-zoomed for my combat needs.

lesliev
May 24th, 2016, 11:28
I've just taken a look at FG on Wine 1.9.10, just in case it was my fairly old version of Wine that was causing issues - but no, both problems remain. I can get CPU usage up to 97% quite easily by clicking on all the icons on the right hand side, to open 8 windows. But again if I turn off compatibility mode, idle CPU usage sits at around 1%. I'm not noticing any other issues with compatibility mode off so I think I'm going to leave it off for now.

Moon Wizard
May 24th, 2016, 17:55
The compatibility mode forces a full redraw on every frame. Some versions of Mac virtual machines didn't redraw portions of the desktop unchanged between frame draws. If you're not seeing black boxes of undrawn desktop, you don't need compatibility mode.

The map overdraw issue is outside of our system completely and in the virtual machine emulation, so we don't have any way to override that behavior.

Regards,
JPG

lesliev
May 25th, 2016, 12:06
That explains it!
Yup, I've not seen undrawn sections of desktop on any Wine version yet, so I guess I don't need it. I'll see what happens going forward.