PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to do perception tests

sasigns
May 22nd, 2016, 22:54
As the Gm is there a way to roll the entire parties perception at once ? or really any check.

The reason I as I am setting up an ambush as shown here.

lets say they are awake and all paying attn. How would this be done. Sorry in advance this is the first time I will be DMing a game.

Andraax
May 22nd, 2016, 23:02
As the Gm is there a way to roll the entire parties perception at once ? or really any check.

Depends on the ruleset. For Castles and Crusades, a perception check is Wisdom Siege Check, which can be rolled for the entire party off the Party Sheet.

sasigns
May 22nd, 2016, 23:05
The rule set is 5e sorry I should of stated.. However thank you I found what I needed in the party sheet as you stated

Andraax
May 23rd, 2016, 00:08
Select Perception from the Skills drop down on the party sheet to roll for the entire party. If the "eye" is greyed out, it will be a hidden roll (the players won't know it happened).

Griogre
May 23rd, 2016, 07:41
You might want to look at the "Activity While Traveling" rules section in the 5E PH, pg 182. Technically not everyone should be looking for ambushes. IMO passive perception is made for these type of situations.

Octavious
May 24th, 2016, 17:17
You can use the party sheet for group rolls as Andraxx suggested in addition you could enter the stealth of the enemies as the DC in the DC field.. when the group roll occurs you can see who failed and passed to determine who is surprised. Also I agree with Griogre if the party is not really looking for an ambush then you can use the PC passive perception.. on the other hand if the party knows they are in real dangerous territory , have camped all night or setting up camp and are "nervous" the group roll might be good too.