PDA

View Full Version : Map limitations?

belkasro
May 22nd, 2016, 09:47
Been looking at all the the material for maps for fantasy grounds. I'm trying to find a math formula or some sort of template. I've generated a dungeon with pathfinder dungeon generator (https://donjon.bin.sh/pathfinder/dungeon/). I'm not sure if the map size on a small dungeon fit in the map area in its entirety. Lot people said break the dungeon into segments and others say you can put a whole dungeon in one image. Is pyromancer ( https://pyromancers.com/) accurate for getting dungeon tiles at the right size without messing up the grid?

damned
May 22nd, 2016, 10:00
Pyromancers lets you choose the square/grid size on export.
I use it often.
I did a couple of map tests with donjon and they created 14px grids but the walls are 1px which can mess things up...

belkasro
May 22nd, 2016, 10:03
Thanks glad it is recommended. But do you know the biggest map size can Fantasy Grounds can handle?

damned
May 22nd, 2016, 10:14
Some rulesets have (or used to have) size limitations hard coded into them.

For the most art the max map size will depend on how many other assets you have loaded, the size in kb of the map and the physical dimensions of the map, your computers memory, your upload speed, the quality of yours and your players connection and their download speed.
I will rarely load a map larger than 500kb.
Others do things differently.

Trenloe
May 22nd, 2016, 15:20
As soon as you begin to go over 1MB in map/image file size you will experience noticeable delays when you share the map with players. Image file sizes over 2MB will show much more delays and may begin to cause lag when opened and take up significant amounts of FG memory. Fantasy Grounds is currently a 32-bit application so is limited on the amount of memory it can use (<2GB on a 32-bit OS and approx. 3.7GB on a 64-bit OS) - it has nothing to do with the amount of memory you have on your computer.

So, the main thing is to keep the file size down. Use JPG with a low-ish quality setting, do not use PNG files. Experiment with JPG quality settings to get a reasonable/good quality map and small file size.

belkasro
May 23rd, 2016, 05:13
Ok low rez gives little issues

damned
May 23rd, 2016, 06:32
I save most maps down as low as 40% jpg quality with huge reductions in size and quite sufficient quality for use.

belkasro
May 23rd, 2016, 06:38
Ok then I do appreciate the info dammed and everyone else who posted.

Here is something related to the map question. Does Fantasy Grounds, Fantasy Grounds dev future or an extention exist that the player clears out the fog of war.

Zacchaeus
May 23rd, 2016, 09:15
At the moment no. I suspect by players clearing out the fog of war you mean dynamic lighting. That may be a feature eventually when FG switches to the Unity Engine in the (hopefully) reasonably near future.