PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Tuesday Evening game, CST (GMT-6)

Morfedel
May 21st, 2016, 21:13
So, I'm looking for a tuesday evening game. I have a few games I'd be happy to consider, although I'm kinda leaning towards 5th edition D&D.

I'd be available after around 8:30 central time. I'm an experienced gamer, and I have an ultimate license, so connection isn't a problem for me. Let me know! :)

Answulf
May 22nd, 2016, 06:39
Hey there Morfedel - a buddy and I are also looking for a 5E game in this same time period. We are both older players who have been playing off and on (Fantasy Grounds and RPGs) forever. I also have an ultimate license, but was last playing on Roll20 and haven't bought any of the 5E stuff yet. I usually GM, but I'd really prefer to take a break and play for a change - at least for a while. An 8:30 or 9:00 start central would be great, playing about 3 hours? Something like that.

jenkinsdka
May 22nd, 2016, 14:31
Id be interested in a 5E game at that same time. Im in Eastern time but a later start tuesday evening would work best. Obviously I dont have as much experience as you all do. I'm currently DMing a game for some friends and would love to play especially with some folks who have a more experience than I do. Id be up to playing and swapping out the DM job every so often but not start as DM. If Im reading this post correctly that makes 4 of us. Let me know if your interested or if you have found a game and need an extra player.

Morfedel
May 22nd, 2016, 14:32
Hey there Morfedel - a buddy and I are also looking for a 5E game in this same time period. We are both older players who have been playing off and on (Fantasy Grounds and RPGs) forever. I also have an ultimate license, but was last playing on Roll20 and haven't bought any of the 5E stuff yet. I usually GM, but I'd really prefer to take a break and play for a change - at least for a while. An 8:30 or 9:00 start central would be great, playing about 3 hours? Something like that.

i was thinking the same thing. I actually prefer to GM myself, but I also enjoy playing as well, and since I'm starting up a thursday game, I thought I'd look for a tuesday game to play in instead. But according to the game calendar, there don't seem to be any, at least not at the time I'm available.

If I cant find a game to play, I suppose I could GM a second game.

damned
May 22nd, 2016, 14:43
Thats three GMs. Why dont you look at each running a mini campaign for the others. Something that goes 2-8 sessions only and then swap.
:) Go on!

jenkinsdka
May 22nd, 2016, 14:47
Thats three GMs. Why dont you look at each running a mini campaign for the others. Something that goes 2-8 sessions only and then swap.
:) Go on!

Agreed. Morfedel if you take the first shift I'd be up taking the second shift. maybe do sessions that take us through 3 levels or so. Ansbach you and your friend up for it?

jenkinsdka
May 22nd, 2016, 14:55
or we could roll for it...

Morfedel
May 22nd, 2016, 14:57
Agreed. Morfedel if you take the first shift I'd be up taking the second shift. maybe do sessions that take us through 3 levels or so. Ansbach you and your friend up for it?

LOL I suppose we could do that, episodic adventures ala star trek? :)

damned
May 22nd, 2016, 14:59
Im sure you will find other players to fill out the group too... and maybe you can pass the reins to one of them once you have all had a turn :)

jenkinsdka
May 22nd, 2016, 15:00
Im up for it if you guys are. We could meet up this tuesday 9 or 10pm Eastern and discuss. I normally use hangouts. I think its worth a try and if doesnt work no big deal its a game.

Morfedel
May 22nd, 2016, 15:43
Im up for it if you guys are. We could meet up this tuesday 9 or 10pm Eastern and discuss. I normally use hangouts. I think its worth a try and if doesnt work no big deal its a game.

Sure, we could do that. Lets aim for 10 pm eastern, thats 9 pm central, which is perfect for me. I suggest we give some thought to a campaign design that would allow for the same characters, with a GMPC that will be on hiatus for when that gm is running; they could be defending a central area against threats, or wandering like star trek lol

Also, how would we share the files for the campaign? would one person host, and if so is there a way to give GM powers to someone else logged on? Or would we have to send campaign files via email back and forth? I'm not quite a FG guru yet.

While I've been typing this, I had an idea for a campaign setting that we could perhaps share. 4th edition D&D had a default assumed setting of a thousand points of light in a sea of darkness. Small areas surrounded by unknown dangers and who knows what lies over the next hill, etc etc. That really appealed to me. Why don't we do that? I can go into more detail if you like, but the basic idea is the last bastions of empire were destroyed many generations ago. The world is awash in a sea of darkness, ignorance, and fear. Small settlements may know of two or three others with limited trade, but little else is known of the world anymore except in myth and legend.

sometimes, a settlement... disappears. Destroyed. slaughtered. Strangers can be feared, although hope always springs eternal as well. Who knows if that stranger coming into our little village might be a friend... and if so, maybe they will be strong enough to help us with this problem that has arisen.

Meanwhile the players will be wanderers on the road. Why? Well, if you like this idea, then I'll run the first segment of the game, it will be the "why we roam together" adventure. If you don't like this idea, that's fine, just wanted to throw it out there. I ran that game once and it was fairly welcomed.

I also ran a game where the pcs were all members of a small village that had been in the middle of nowhere and suddenly became very important, and they had to deal with a great deal of problems that threatened their homes. They were in a small village at the edge of the kingdom, which erupted into civil war. Between terrain and the drawing of battle lines, their home, which had been out of the way enough for no one to care about, suddenly became an important trade route. Bandits raided. a vampire set up his home there. And then something from the trackless northern mountains started intruding. The players had a great time with it (one player once joked that he felt like he was playing sim village, but not in a bad way!)

Anyway. So those are two ideas of mine. If you like either one, we can go that route, and I'll be happy to run the first adventure. If neither appeals thats also fine.

As a side note, for my character, I want to play a wizard. I rarely get to play, and wizard is by far my favorite class, so I'm staking that out now :)

jenkinsdka
May 22nd, 2016, 19:31
Morfedel the the thousand points of light setting will work well. very open and it would let us do lots of stuff. I think a better way to handle the setting is for us to simply export the characters depending on the DM. that seems pretty easy to handle while transferring the DM stuff can become a bit cumbersome. We could easily share maps and such. I love drawing up maps so we should be good there.

My other game is in a archipelago with a low fantasy viking undead flavor. so I'm basically doing a thousand points of light thing there.

Im not big on playing magic users so you can have the wizard spot.

10pm tuesday should work fine for me Ill PM you and give you my hangout address. Id like to keep it around 5 players plus DM. that seems to be pretty workable. so if others are interested in joing us post here. Ill try and figure out the game calendar thing and set up a time.

Morfedel
May 22nd, 2016, 19:35
Morfedel the the thousand points of light setting will work well. very open and it would let us do lots of stuff. I think a better way to handle the setting is for us to simply export the characters depending on the DM. that seems pretty easy to handle while transferring the DM stuff can become a bit cumbersome. We could easily share maps and such. I love drawing up maps so we should be good there.

My other game is in a archipelago with a low fantasy viking undead flavor. so I'm basically doing a thousand points of light thing there.

Im not big on playing magic users so you can have the wizard spot.

10pm tuesday should work fine for me Ill PM you and give you my hangout address. Id like to keep it around 5 players plus DM. that seems to be pretty workable. so if others are interested in joing us post here. Ill try and figure out the game calendar thing and set up a time.

Sounds good to me.

jenkinsdka
May 22nd, 2016, 19:46
Game Calendar link... This would be a great opportunity for players who want to try the DM but dont want to run and extended campaign.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1994

Answulf
May 22nd, 2016, 21:18
That all sounds good, let's meet on Tuesday to discuss. I've had successful and unsuccessful GM rotation groups in the past and can share some ideas. Another player contacted us via PM so I think we are set.

damned
May 22nd, 2016, 23:32
You could each as GM run something completely separate - you dont have to have continuity. you could always pickup again if/when it gets back to you again.

Morfedel
May 23rd, 2016, 14:02
That all sounds good, let's meet on Tuesday to discuss. I've had successful and unsuccessful GM rotation groups in the past and can share some ideas. Another player contacted us via PM so I think we are set.

Ok, I looked at the calendar and I see we have myself, Jenkinska, and pnpoldschoolgamer on the calendar; we need ansbach added too, please, and then we can have our first pow wow next tuesday. I've never done a shared GM game before, hopefull we can work this out ;)

jcoman1
May 23rd, 2016, 20:25
Ditto on most things said above. I have a group that meets on Friday nights from 10 to midnight eastern. I am the GM. I am an experienced player looking for a game where I can be a player. I also have at least one player from my current group and another player who hasn't played in a few years and not familiar with FG. We typically use skype video but are flexible.
If there is going to be a conversation Tuesday night I'd love to be part of it.

jenkinsdka
May 23rd, 2016, 20:47
Jcoman1 I think we are full at this time but ill let you know after our conversation on Tuesday if we have any spots open. thanks for the interest.

Answulf
May 23rd, 2016, 20:53
I accepted and don't forget I have a friend playing as well. I don't know his forum username off the top of my head.

If we don't overcomplicate the shared GM thing we will be fine. :)

Jcoman1, are you saying you have 3 total players interested including yourself?

jenkinsdka
May 23rd, 2016, 20:54
I accepted and don't forget I have a friend playing as well. I don't know his forum username off the top of my head.

Agreed. talk to you tomorrow night.

jcoman1
May 23rd, 2016, 21:34

Jcoman1, are you saying you have 3 total players interested including yourself?

2 plus me, and possibly a third.

Answulf
May 24th, 2016, 16:35
2 plus me, and possibly a third.

Sounds like you almost have a whole group yourself! What is it that you are looking for? Just another player or two, or a GM?

Morfedel
May 25th, 2016, 05:55
jesus finally! First my mouse died permanently, had to go buy another, at 30 minutes before we were supposed to get together, then I suddenly started getting the blue screen of death every time I logged in, and finally had to do a last good login restore to get it working... and I then couldn't get the website to load! ARGH!

and now, finally here... 3 hours late. sigh....

damned
May 25th, 2016, 05:57
Yeah unfortunately there were some technical issues on the server tonight.... :(
Dont take it out on the players though!

Morfedel
May 25th, 2016, 06:00
Yeah unfortunately there were some technical issues on the server tonight.... :(
Dont take it out on the players though!

No way, especially since I had several technical issues myself, so no biggie.

Ludus Dominus
May 25th, 2016, 08:38
I am new to FG but am looking to dive in. I"m in texas and would love to join in if there's room. I've been playing DND since 98 but I am also new to 5e. If you guys have room for a newb that would be great. I love Dm'ing so once I get FG down I'd be happy to pitch in as well. Just let me know fellas. ty

zack2488
May 25th, 2016, 11:12
I would also be down to play new to this FG thing but know a little 5E... also I'm learning par5E and Im in CST also.