PDA

View Full Version : Running 2 groups in same campaign setting

Mad Nomad
May 21st, 2016, 16:23
Hi, not sure if this is the best place to post this, but didn't see anywhere appropriate.
I am wondering if any GMs out there have any tips in how to most effectively run 2 campaigns in 1 homebrew world?
More specifically, I have a lot of assets like maps and npcs and parcels etc, and I am constantly adding more as time goes on.
I would love to be able to put both in 1 campaign but I am not sure if that will cause complications. Liek with the party sheet or parcels or encounter awarding, etc.
Alternatively I could export all my content as a module and load it into a new campaign, but then anytime I add anything new I think I'll have to repeat that.
So just curious if anyone has done this and has any pointers.

Zacchaeus
May 21st, 2016, 17:32
The latter method is the way to go. If you try running 2 groups using the same campaign then they'll all get mixed up. So have one campaign that you update and export to the two others that you run.

Trenloe
May 21st, 2016, 17:36
As Zacchaeus says, use one campaign as your base "module making" campaign where you put your story, maps, NPCs, etc.. Export the data to a module and load this module in your two different gaming campaigns. When you need to make additions to the module, make them in your module making campaign and re-export this to the library module (use the same name, etc. - FG will remember the export name from the previous export). Then when you load up your gaming campaigns they will be using the updated module data.

Mad Nomad
August 9th, 2016, 22:55
Reviving this thread, as I have come across a new issue with this. Creating a master mod and exporting it to individual campaigns has been working great, but unfortunately it doesn't handle token placement well. If I set up some tokens on the map in the master campaign, then export, when I load the mod in campaign 1 or 2, the tokens are not placed. I realize this just may be a limitation of the program, but curious if anyone has any work around to this? Or alternative ideas. My current idea (if I have a map where I need a lot of tokens) is to place all the tokens and then take a screen shot of it and use that as my new map.

Trenloe
August 9th, 2016, 23:01
Token placement is not currently exported with a module, as you are finding out.

You could do the token placement for the encounters once you've opened the module in your campaign. Taking a screenshot sounds like a good idea too.